A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:38:34 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TIA Sept. 10 1967  (Read 10572 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« on: April 22, 2014, 01:29:35 am »

For the pilots here, a look at TIA in 1967, showing the old terminal and the current one, as well as AF Plant #3 and AA Maintenance Facility, and ANG Base flying B36's. You can also see how small the zoo was, and all of the residential areas north and just west of TIA.

http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/getfile/collection/p16063coll3/id/16/filename/17.pdf

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 05:47:06 am »

For the pilots here, a look at TIA in 1967, showing the old terminal and the current one, as well as AF Plant #3 and AA Maintenance Facility, and ANG Base flying B36's. You can also see how small the zoo was, and all of the residential areas north and just west of TIA.

http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/getfile/collection/p16063coll3/id/16/filename/17.pdf

Always interesting to see how magnetic drift changes runway numbers over the years....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:15:14 am »

Where is Uncle Kimchi’s house?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:50:29 am »

I also noticed three runways I never knew were there.

3L/21R - 3R/21L and runway 12/30.  Looks like some of them were incorporated into some of the current taxiway system.  Very interesting to look at indeed.  Especially the old terminal building at the south end of the short n/s runway.  These photos were taken when I was about 4 months old...might have to run out there sometime and see if any remants of the terminal remain.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:23:09 am »

Where is Uncle Kimchi’s house?

Couldn't find any pic's of Omaha. (avoiding a really snarky comment) of him in his womb.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:29:52 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:56:52 am »

.might have to run out there sometime and see if any remants of the terminal remain.

It doesn't appear so looking at Google Maps. 

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:01:06 pm »

It doesn't appear so looking at Google Maps. 

Yep, I looked at it as well after I posted and noted that most of Apache at that point was gone and it appeared they shifted the alignment and position of the western N/S runway a little to the south.  Shame.  But the photo is a neat reminder of history.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 12:10:47 pm »

I've actually started downloading the images from the site, and spent way too much time last night looking at them. It's interesting to me, like other long term residents seeing how things changed, that and I have found things that I have questioned my memory of being there, like the two railroad crossings on the BA Expwy, and the Standard Gas station that was at 41st and Yale in front of the research center.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 01:05:57 pm »

I also noticed three runways I never knew were there.

3L/21R - 3R/21L and runway 12/30.  Looks like some of them were incorporated into some of the current taxiway system.  Very interesting to look at indeed.  Especially the old terminal building at the south end of the short n/s runway.  These photos were taken when I was about 4 months old...might have to run out there sometime and see if any remants of the terminal remain.

Most likely from WWII training days, I would guess Hoss, considering that’s how they had x-wind strips at every other AAC training base in the area.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 01:37:49 pm »

Most likely from WWII training days, I would guess Hoss, considering that’s how they had x-wind strips at every other AAC training base in the area.

The southwest US is littered with old WWII training fields that are triangular shaped with a E/W, SW to NE, and SE to NW strips.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 01:56:43 pm »

It's got to be this old terminal.

http://www.oldairfield.com/places/tulsa_ok/index.html
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 07:32:56 pm »

The southwest US is littered with old WWII training fields that are triangular shaped with a E/W, SW to NE, and SE to NW strips.

I remember several in southern Virginia when I was flying there in the mid 70s.  A lot of those runways have gone away, probably due to the cost of maintaining them.  Okmulgee now only has one runway when even 20 yrs ago they still had two of the original three.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 07:40:13 pm »

I've actually started downloading the images from the site, and spent way too much time last night looking at them. It's interesting to me, like other long term residents seeing how things changed, that and I have found things that I have questioned my memory of being there, like the two railroad crossings on the BA Expwy, and the Standard Gas station that was at 41st and Yale in front of the research center.

Images of downtown area are interesting too.  I was somewhat surprised at how much of the Blue Dome / Brady districts were still occupied by railroads. 

There were a lot of parking areas even then but certainly not as much as now.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 10:37:05 pm »

Images of downtown area are interesting too.  I was somewhat surprised at how much of the Blue Dome / Brady districts were still occupied by railroads. 

There were a lot of parking areas even then but certainly not as much as now.

Was looking at the downtown image as well and could see a passenger train sitting at the Santa Fe Station down about 1st & Detroit. Remember getting on one there to go to KC in 1968. Also saw the smoke stack just west of the Union Depot was still standing, dad took me to see it imploded in '69 I think. It's also funny to see how many drive in thearters there were. 11thst Drive In had two screens, 11th & Mingo, Admiral Twin, Airview on Pine at N77th E Ave one screen, and the Apache on Apache between Yale and Harvard with one screen.  Six of them within just a few miles of each other.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 10:44:24 pm »

Was looking at the downtown image as well and could see a passenger train sitting at the Santa Fe Station down about 1st & Detroit. Remember getting on one there to go to KC in 1968. Also saw the smoke stack just west of the Union Depot was still standing, dad took me to see it imploded in '69 I think. It's also funny to see how many drive in thearters there were. 11thst Drive In had two screens, 11th & Mingo, Admiral Twin, Airview on Pine at N77th E Ave one screen, and the Apache on Apache between Yale and Harvard with one screen.  Six of them within just a few miles of each other.

One of my first apartments was next door to the 11th Street Drive in (after they closed it down but it hadn't been demolished completely).  I saw Jaws and Star Wars at that theater.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org