A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:03:37 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colorado Bar vs BMI  (Read 2420 times)
TulsaMoon
Civic Leader

« on: April 20, 2014, 09:19:46 am »

Now before you go bashing, read the article and keep in mind, this is my little sister that owns the bar. This was a lesson learned and her goal was to inform others in all businesses not to make the same mistake.

http://gazette.com/article/1518541
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:56:20 pm »

Now before you go bashing, read the article and keep in mind, this is my little sister that owns the bar. This was a lesson learned and her goal was to inform others in all businesses not to make the same mistake.
http://gazette.com/article/1518541

She's not the one shaking down a small business for 32 grand, and while artists should be compensated, I see most of those collections going to "administrative fees" and salaries.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 01:33:51 pm »

Just a little fun with numbers, say those three groups license 200 bars per state per year at $4500.00 each, that comes out to approximately $15 million in fees per group per year. I know that a portion of those fees goes to pay royalties, just curious as to how much is royalties and how much for salaries.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:37:02 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
TulsaMoon
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 03:54:09 pm »

She's not the one shaking down a small business for 32 grand, and while artists should be compensated, I see most of those collections going to "administrative fees" and salaries.

Correct, she is not. In fact a little more info. As the story states the service men requested and performed songs, the investigator for BMI requested and performed the others. Was a true setup all the way, and her attorney in Denver dropped that ball. But as I said this was a story she wanted out as a warning to businesses, not a poor, poor me story.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:47:44 am »

Unreal how $1200 turned into $32K.  That’s worse than getting OTC’d!

Best wishes to her and her business, TM.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org