A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:02:33 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State Maps/Rankings for R&D Science&Engineering education & workforce.  (Read 2405 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: May 16, 2014, 07:37:37 am »

Found these charts and maps interesting from the National Science Foundation.  

From the article.   http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140515154138.htm

"R&D and human capital are major drivers of innovation and the economy," said Dan Arvizu, chairman of the National Science Board. "This is a valuable resource for those who wish to see how their state is doing. Whether it's educational achievement, your state's workforce, or R&D investments, it's an excellent tool to see how your state stacks up. And it will inform debates over state policies and programs."

The state data tool includes indicators on:

Elementary and secondary education -- achievement and expenditures.
Higher education -- degrees, spending, and costs.
Workforce -- higher education credentials and science and engineering workers.
Financial R&D inputs -- levels of R&D activities and public support.
R&D outputs -- new doctorates and research activities.
Science and technology in the economy -- business activities and capital investments.
State policymakers and other users can consider such factors as how their state compares with neighboring or similar states, as well as with the national average. They can see whether their state is following national trends, such as conducting more R&D over the last decade, or moving in the opposite direction.

The link to the study and maps… http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind14/index.cfm/state-data/map.htm?table=13

I started going through the quartile maps and at first thought I couldn't really see any info comparisons that were giving me much insight.  But then as I continued on (clicking the "next indicator") through the maps started to notice some interesting things.

For example,
Seems our early grade school education in science and engineering isn't so well.  But then saw that we graduate a lot of science and engineering students in college. So thought "well we sucked at first but things came out well in the end"  but continued on and noticed that as a percentage of population of science and engineering grads living in the state, and percentage of science and engineering jobs, start up's, venture capital, etc. we sucked again lol.  So it appears that we graduate a lot of science and engineering students as compared to other states, and spend a fair amount on our universities and have affordable schools for our students, but then apparently the graduates leave the state and work elsewhere, start companies elsewhere, etc.  

We are creating educated young people, but perhaps are not creating places where they want to stay and live, or can have or create tech/science and engineering jobs.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:42:03 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 09:13:19 am »

For example,
Seems our early grade school education in science and engineering isn't so well.  But then saw that we graduate a lot of science and engineering students in college. So thought "well we sucked at first but things came out well in the end"  but continued on and noticed that as a percentage of population of science and engineering grads living in the state, and percentage of science and engineering jobs, start up's, venture capital, etc. we sucked again lol.  So it appears that we graduate a lot of science and engineering students as compared to other states, and spend a fair amount on our universities and have affordable schools for our students, but then apparently the graduates leave the state and work elsewhere, start companies elsewhere, etc.  

We are creating educated young people, but perhaps are not creating places where they want to stay and live, or can have or create tech/science and engineering jobs.

That is an excellent site...will take some time to really investigate all that info!!

Leave state and work elsewhere for a variety of reasons...not just for opportunity, but lifestyle.  I mentioned as recently as earlier this week the comment from one Chemical Engr with MS in nuclear field.... wondering what was the matter with this state.  This is someone who grew up here, went to school both in small towns and Tulsa area, then OSU, then lack of opportunity - out of state.  MS in Oregon...   Now, return is blocked by lifestyle opportunities - having lived in TX, CA, OR, WA and MN over last 18 to 20 years - I get that comment from the person.

Have also mentioned in past several others who have left due to lifestyle.  Highly trained tech/science/engr people all.  BS and higher in EE, CS, ME, etc.  And the nonsense Governor and legislature we have may play well to the lowest common denominator voter (RWRE), but when people outside look in, they see the "hicks from the sticks" attitude and just keep on looking WAY too often!!  We are so insular (in every sense of the word!!) in our attitudes as a whole that we just don't seem to understand what these stupid actions mean to outsiders and the face it presents to them of this place!

This doesn't even touch on truck drivers, accountants, admin assistants and other friends/family that have gone elsewhere. 

And just try to get an engineering job when have gone over 50 years old or so.... in fairness, this is a national problem, but aggravated here due to smaller pool of available tech companies.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 10:38:08 am »

Don't worry, our esteemed legislature is hard at work rejecting new science standards.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org