A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:49:03 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skip Steals Cinco De Mayo  (Read 6619 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:22 pm »

An annual Cinco De Mayo festival held at 21st and 145th has supposedly out grown it's home and neighbors are asking this major hispanic  festival to move including Skip Steele, their City Councilor. He voted against their event permit. Apparently he suggested they go to Riverparks.

I don't know the particulars but at first glance it boggles me that a councilor would ask the people he represents to not hold their festival anywhere near where they live. A neighborhood representative on the news said that the festival was the one who suggested moving, but just hadn't followed through.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:48:34 pm »

Would love to have them on Boston Avenue in the Deco District downtown. There is a nice park in front of my shop I would recommend.  Smiley

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:50:55 pm »

This is the video from last Thursday's Council meeting. Scroll down to item 3n.

http://tulsa-ok.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=1942

I can't believe the media didn't pick up on this. It was a pretty wild discussion.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:13:18 am »

Love to have them in the Guido District. (Not a real place, just wanted to be my pretentious self).  Grin

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 06:46:43 am »

An annual Cinco De Mayo festival held at 21st and 145th has supposedly out grown it's home and neighbors are asking this major hispanic  festival to move including Skip Steele, their City Councilor. He voted against their event permit. Apparently he suggested they go to Riverparks.

I don't know the particulars but at first glance it boggles me that a councilor would ask the people he represents to not hold their festival anywhere near where they live. A neighborhood representative on the news said that the festival was the one who suggested moving, but just hadn't followed through.

So you think he represents the Hispanic's or the neighbors that voted for him.....Huh

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:53:18 am »

I can't believe the media didn't pick up on this. It was a pretty wild discussion.

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Organizers-city-councilor-disagree-on-east-Tulsa/1YXrrmnEw0ubG8aujuNC8g.cspx
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 07:33:43 am »

If it is overwhelming the area and could become a safety issue, I honestly can’t blame him.  KRMG made it sound as if it’s really outgrown it’s present location.  I don’t know from a first-hand perspective since I have not attended.  Their used to be an Hispanic festival downtown in September around the same time as the Greek Festival.  Anyone know what ever happened to that or what the celebration was all about?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 11:22:55 pm »

You guys should really watch the video of the meeting...

It will clear everything up if you can bear to watch it.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 08:45:20 pm »

You guys should really watch the video of the meeting...

It will clear everything up if you can bear to watch it.

I watched it but it sounded like the club is the main problem, the festival is just a contributing problem. But if the club is closed, then it seems like that fixes a lot of it.

I know the neighborhood representative if I want more background.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 04:41:51 pm »

More college crap. And this really is.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/17401/

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 07:19:15 am »

Damn.  What’s next banning pasta dinners before marathons and century rides so the wops don’t get their panties in a wad?

I mean serious, why are all these people walking around looking for reasons to be offended?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 07:30:46 am »

I mean serious, why are all these people walking around looking for reasons to be offended?

I'm offended by that observation.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 07:33:07 am »

I'm offended by that observation.

I figured someone would be.  Get a lawyer.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 10:03:10 am »

I figured someone would be.  Get a lawyer.

I saw what looked like two older guys and a trustworthy young girl, on a law firm advertisement on the back of my phone book.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 10:22:54 am »

I saw what looked like two older guys and a trustworthy young girl, on a law firm advertisement on the back of my phone book.

Phone what now?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org