A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:27:03 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greatest architectural losses (residential)  (Read 7041 times)
Brookside
Citizen

« on: April 16, 2014, 02:01:08 pm »

What do you think are the greatest missing links in Tulsa's history today, folks?

No, Ma-Hu 'n' the Blair Mansion, I'm afraid, will not be counted.

1913 Sinclair Mansion on Black Gold Row
1914 Cosden Mansion on Black Gold Row

1937 Shakley home at 7219 South Evanston (anyone know the designer of that one?)
1958 Scherbatskoy home (Robert E Buchner)
19__ Kershner home at either 1930 Oak or 4447 Oak (F V Kershner)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 02:04:39 pm »

What do you think are the greatest missing links in Tulsa's history today, folks?

No, Ma-Hu 'n' the Blair Mansion, I'm afraid, will not be counted.

1913 Sinclair Mansion on Black Gold Row
1914 Cosden Mansion on Black Gold Row

1937 Shakley home at 7219 South Evanston (anyone know the designer of that one?)
1958 Scherbatskoy home (Robert E Buchner)
19__ Kershner home at either 1930 Oak or 4447 Oak (F V Kershner)

Missing links?  You mean as if they are not here now?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Brookside
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:03:56 am »

Right, Conan, the idea would be that these are homes that would be special in terms of seeing Tulsa's design history - either 1) as a home among the foremost examples of neoclassical, neo-whatever, craftsman, prairie, art deco, streamline moderne, ranch/midcentury, modernist, or what we have today, or 2) as a splendid example of how we moved from one trend to the next.   Either kind of house is essential for making sense of the stylistic consensus that shaped the rest of town.  Without them - and maybe I am in the minority in moving around through a place making sense of it intentionally - there are links missing.

I suppose the third kind of illustration would be ones that mark outliers, boundaries of trends - directions in which the mainstream didn't move after all.  Okay, take care.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:07:47 am by Brookside » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:28:14 am »

What style was the Shakley home?  There’s a French Chateau knock-off that is for sale for $4.5 mil where that once stood. 

There is an Art Deco'ish home built in 1945 across the street.  Was that the style of the Shakley home?  That was way out in the country back in those days.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:57:20 am »

Missing links?  You mean as if they are not here now?

I don't see links for any of them.
Finding photos / articles is an exercise left to the user.   Angry
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:46:32 pm »

Hey, it's your poll/game, but just wondering why you exclude Ma-Hu...?? 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 02:55:04 pm »

Here is an old postcard image of the Smith Codsen Residence which was located in the same parcel as the University Club Tower. The Tennis courts still remain, but they are no longer the imported English clay courts.

Colonial Revival or Plantation? No idea. 

Brookside
Citizen

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 06:28:38 pm »

Thanks for that picture and narration, carltonplace!

I guess Ma-Hu (ca. 1937) is the real deal, even though radiocasters later turned it into a sort of punchline or local kitsch thing.  I had only seen burned and "haunted" ruins photographed, but evidently it was very much a place:

http://www.tulsaokhistory.com/photogallery/mahumansion.html

I believe the Shakley home was art-deco, yes, and pictures do exist but maybe not online.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 09:18:17 pm »

Okay, I assumed the Cosden Mansion were just south of University Club Towers.  I had no idea it was the site of Josh’s old house.  There’s a neat Spanish style house to the south of that site I used to think was the Cosden house.  Anyone know who built it?

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 10:33:29 pm »

What about my house, post-bored architect design?  

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Brookside
Citizen

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 12:45:07 pm »

sorry, guido.  no can do.

Does anyone remember Dr. Richardson's home at 31st & Victor, on the triangular plot where two very beige houses are now?  I would love to see a picture.  My Grammy thought it something special.

If no, do you know whether old assessor's photos are discarded when the property changes forms of building?  I'd be willing to go spelunking if they're kept.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 07:59:16 am »

The Beryl Ford archives are now in the possession of the Tulsa City County Library.  I could not find it in his archives, here’s a link as other gems you are looking for may be here:

http://www.tulsalibrary.org/bfc

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 08:52:22 am »

Okay, I assumed the Cosden Mansion were just south of University Club Towers.  I had no idea it was the site of Josh’s old house.  There’s a neat Spanish style house to the south of that site I used to think was the Cosden house.  Anyone know who built it?

You are referring to the Dresser Mansion which is now an event space and is still mostly unaltered inside

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 10:06:16 am »

That’s the one Carlton.  Thanks!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 01:01:01 pm »

Thanks for that picture and narration, carltonplace!

I guess Ma-Hu (ca. 1937) is the real deal, even though radiocasters later turned it into a sort of punchline or local kitsch thing.  I had only seen burned and "haunted" ruins photographed, but evidently it was very much a place:

http://www.tulsaokhistory.com/photogallery/mahumansion.html

I believe the Shakley home was art-deco, yes, and pictures do exist but maybe not online.

Ma-Hu was a magnificent place.  We - the neighborhood kids to south, west and north of there - would trick or treat 'cause they always gave out good stuff.  Rumors told of times before I got to the area when they would give candy plus a silver dollar to every kid willing to walk up that long drive....  Use to play "tag" with the long horn steer....he would always come at you when you came across the fence - looking back, I think it was more curiosity than anything - he didn't really seem 'mean'.  There was a small pond on the far southwest corner that was said to have an alligator in residence....

After the decay started (the owner's died) the place was abandoned and again, rumors told of a son/nephew (depending on version) who let it run down.  Either way, used to walk around in it exploring in late 60's.  Magnificent place - the scale was bigger than any of us had experienced to that time.  There were some HUGE beams running through it to support upper floor.  The roof rafters looked like beams all on their own....   Basement always had water in it when I would prowl around.

Then they started the "spook house" thing...disgusting thing to do to that building.

Several years before the house burned, there was a large barn at the back, close to 77th east avenue.  It caught on fire and it was a very windy day, so the flames were all blowing north, lapping across the roofs of the houses next to it in Johanson Acres (sp?).  That was several hundred feet!!  Still don't know how one or two of them didn't catch fire - the owners were spraying their roof, but the flames were massive!  Scary fire, but all the kids were around watching.

The picture of Memorial was how it was just before we moved to the area - they had JUST paved 2 lanes of asphalt which made it nice.  I think they paved it specifically for Oertle's when they built that store there - great store!  We shopped at 11th street store a lot, then were thrilled when they built that big box right down the street.   31st was still gravel to the east and all the way to Sheridan to the west.  They paved 31st not too long after that.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:06:11 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org