A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:25:36 pm
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Childhood Memories of Tulsa 1960s-1970s  (Read 122585 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2020, 10:01:26 pm »

I DISTINCTLY REMEMBER THE MA-HU MANSION  - BUT THEN I ALSO REMEMBER OERTLES BEING AT 29th & MEMORIAL TOO NOT WHERE OTHERS HAVE SAID IT WAS
REMEMBER SEEING LEON RUSSEL & FRIENDS ( YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE WHO ALL WE SAW -- SERIOUSLY) DRIVING AROUND TOWN TOO -- AND GOING BY HIS HOUSE NEAR WOODWARD PARK
TULSA WAS THE BEST PLACE TO GROW UP IN IN THE EARLY 60's

Oertle's was on 11th street for many years.  Then moved to south Memorial in the late 60's.  There were still longhorn cattle at Ma-Hu then.  They gave out silver dollars at Halloween.  That ended after about the second Halloween we lived in the neighborhood.  Made it worth the walk up that long driveway!  And there was an alligator in the small pond on the southwest corner of the property next to the small concrete building - at least that was the story....

The barn at the back burned down and since it was full of hay, it made quite the conflagration!   The wind was very strong from the south that day, and there were a couple of houses in Johannson Acres that got their roofs toasted!  Flames were literally over the roof of one of those houses!  Did not catch fire, but it was close.  Did require a new roof.

Oh, yeah...you don't really have to yell.  We can hear you.

Seems like I remember Leon drove around in a white Rolls Royce.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
BUCKWHEAT
Tourist

« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2020, 09:25:49 am »

GUESS THAT WAS A BIT BEFORE ME -- ABOUT 68 WAS WHEN WE STARTED ROAMING AROUND RIDING BIKES IN THAT PART OF TOWN VAGUELY REMEMBER TALK OF THE REST BUT NEVER HEARD  THAT OERTLE'S WAS ELSEWHERE  -- EVEN USED TO HOP TRAINS ON THE LITTLE RISE AT 31st & YALE & RIDE THEM DOWN TO THE EMPTY FIELD AREA AT 31st & SHERIDAN  - THAT WAS A FUN PLACE TOO  -- A LITTLE WILDERNESS AREA
BUCKWHEAT
Tourist

« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2020, 09:27:10 am »

ACTUALLY IT WAS ABOUT 63-64 WHEN WE STARTED ROAMING NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org