A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:59:56 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chandler Park Backcountry  (Read 32345 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: April 08, 2014, 11:02:31 pm »

I was talking to a friend recently who has been mountain biking on the land west of Chandler Park, roughly south of Avery Drive and well north of 41st.  He said there are many miles of trails and that it rivals Turkey Mtn.  He said there is a creek that is usually dry but has rapids and small waterfalls after heavy rains, and that some of the cliffs near where this creek empties into the river are 40' tall.  I've done some hiking around the cliffs in Chandler Park before but never in the area to the west.  Anyone been there?  Who owns that land?  Sounds pretty interesting especially being 15 min from midtown.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:21:35 pm »

I believe much of that land is a former landfill that was at one time a Superfund site.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 11:35:47 pm »

Doing some research the former Superfund site is only the area immediately west of Chandler Park where there used to be a landfill that has been capped.
http://www.epa.gov/region6/6sf/pdffiles/compass-ok.pdf

Some info on the trails
http://www.tztrailguide.com/2012/02/chandler-park.html?m=1

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:42:47 pm »

Doing some research the former Superfund site is only the area immediately west of Chandler Park where there used to be a landfill that has been capped.
http://www.epa.gov/region6/6sf/pdffiles/compass-ok.pdf

Some info on the trails
http://www.tztrailguide.com/2012/02/chandler-park.html?m=1

Beat me to it. I remember when it was announced as a SF Site, not long after Tar Creek was announced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Superfund_sites_in_Oklahoma
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 06:17:18 am »

Pretty popular 4-wheeling area back there. I've been around a bit of it in a Razr.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 09:28:35 am »

I rode it extensively in 2011 while I was training for a race in Colorado mainly because I could get in long rides without the technical difficulty of Turkey Mountain.  There’s miles and miles of jeep trail and single track, it’s a load of fun to ride. There are technical rock gardens that rival Turkey Mountain in places, yet there’s also plenty of really nice riding terrain.  It can be easy to get lost and a little disoriented, but all you need to do is walk or ride toward one boundary or another and you will eventually make it out.  It can be a little spooky as there are very, very few people around out there.  If you are riding or hiking solo and get hurt, it may be awhile before anyone finds you.  I’d highly recommend you don’t go out there without a cell phone.

Far as I know it all the property is owned by Tulsa County.  You can access it via several points around neighborhoods in Berryhill as well as near the lift station on Avery Drive and a couple of spots near TCC on 41st.  The superfund site is fenced off separately to keep access only to those who need it.

The last I knew there were no marked trails.  I have friends who live near there that showed me around.  If you are interested, I can see if we can do a Saturday or Sunday excursion out there and show you around.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 11:31:32 am »

Interesting, sounds like I need to check it out sometime.  If it's Tulsa County land why isn't it a county park or wilderness area?  It wouldn't be difficult it sounds to just connect this to Chandler Park, and add some signage/maps for the trail network.  Tulsa has a good amount of cool natural areas for hiking and biking really close to the city but many don't know about them, or they are not marketed/hidden.  Turkey Mountain is the exception, but there's also the trails around Keystone Lake and at Redbud Valley.  

A look at the topo map for the area shows similar terrain as Turkey Mountain with the highest elevation at 830 ft. (Turkey is 900 ft.) dropping down to 640 ft. where the creek (not sure its name) dumps into the river.  This is where you can see the high cliffs along Avery Drive, and likely several along the creek further back from the road.  That must be where the rapids/waterfalls are when it rains.  It also looks densely forested with a few small meadows, and lots of meandering trails.  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 11:46:19 am by SXSW » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 12:41:50 pm »

Interesting, sounds like I need to check it out sometime.  If it's Tulsa County land why isn't it a county park or wilderness area?  It wouldn't be difficult it sounds to just connect this to Chandler Park, and add some signage/maps for the trail network.  Tulsa has a good amount of cool natural areas for hiking and biking really close to the city but many don't know about them, or they are not marketed/hidden.  Turkey Mountain is the exception, but there's also the trails around Keystone Lake and at Redbud Valley.  

A look at the topo map for the area shows similar terrain as Turkey Mountain with the highest elevation at 830 ft. (Turkey is 900 ft.) dropping down to 640 ft. where the creek (not sure its name) dumps into the river.  This is where you can see the high cliffs along Avery Drive, and likely several along the creek further back from the road.  That must be where the rapids/waterfalls are when it rains.  It also looks densely forested with a few small meadows, and lots of meandering trails.  

I honestly don’t know why it’s not, might be a good question for Karen Keith to see if she knows.  They have tried to block as many access points for jeeps but they still find their way in and it’s not like they have no trespassing signs at the points I’ve gone in at.  They could provide an entrance at the west end of Chandler Park, yet they don’t.  It would make sense for parking.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 09:27:00 pm »

I thought it was owned by an absentee. I was even told it was supposed to be turned into housing at some point which is why you run into power lines and water lines occasionally
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 07:58:56 am »

It appears Grizzle is correct, looking at the boundary map on this page, Chandler Park is but a fraction of the entire parcel from 65th W. Ave to Highway 97 and Avery to 41st.

http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.1200

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 09:43:29 am »

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=7931737
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 01:27:05 pm »

I believe much of that land is a former landfill that was at one time a Superfund site.
That's immiediately West of CP and well fenced.  The place in question is private property.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 03:37:57 pm »

That's immiediately West of CP and well fenced.  The place in question is private property.

Any chance the county would be interested in turning this into a park or wilderness area?  It seem like it would be a prime recreation area for hiking, mountain biking and rock climbing.  A larger alternative to popular Turkey Mountain.

TeeDub
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 07:36:08 am »

Any chance the county would be interested in turning this into a park or wilderness area?  It seem like it would be a prime recreation area for hiking, mountain biking and rock climbing.  A larger alternative to popular Turkey Mountain.

According to Tulsa County, most all of the property West of Chandler park is owned by "BROTTON, ANDREW J JR."    He shows up as owning Caravan Cattle Co.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 01:11:50 pm »

It's been for sale at different times and would likely be now... could be yours

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org