A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:40:40 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 13 things Tulsans might NOT understand  (Read 5152 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: April 07, 2014, 11:20:37 am »

I found this pretty funny.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/news/local/michael-overall-things-not-every-tulsan-understands/article_45109e63-0bd7-5be8-89fd-d27c53178b4f.html?mode=jqm

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 11:26:35 am »

Is "digital subscription" one of them?   Grin

This one worked better for me:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/michael-overall-things-not-every-tulsan-understands/article_45109e63-0bd7-5be8-89fd-d27c53178b4f.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 11:54:12 am »

http://m.tulsaworld.com/news/local/michael-overall-things-not-every-tulsan-understands/article_45109e63-0bd7-5be8-89fd-d27c53178b4f.html?mode=jqm

Thirteen Things Not Every Tulsan Understands:

1. How to use turn signals.

2. Health food doesn't come with ranch dressing.

3. Walking around Walmart doesn't count as exercise. Especially if you're there to buy Dr Pepper in bulk.

4. Suburban strip malls are not "just like Utica Square."

5. Tattoos don't make you edgy anymore. Seriously, your pastor's wife is probably inked by now.

6. Dark jeans are not dress pants.

7. Pickup trucks are not exempt from the speed limit.

8. Parallel parking.

9. Traffic circles.

My list is kind of heavy on driving habits, but for good reason. Tulsa actually had to redesign the Bartlett Square fountain to make the intersection safe for cheerleaders.

10. "I've been to the one in Dallas" is not necessarily a recommendation for whatever chain restaurant opened this week.

11. Downtown has enough parking. Actually, more than enough. You have to walk farther to get to Target's door than to McNellie's.

12. Downtown is not dangerous.

I know people who are still afraid to leave the BOK Center after dark. But I'm downtown all the time, and I've been mugged only three times so far this year.

13. Sarcasm.

I haven't actually been mugged.

sär-ka-zəm: Noun. An ironic statement that actually means the opposite of its literal interpretation.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:25:16 pm »

Turn Lanes
Merge Lanes
Bones013
Citizen

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:18:24 am »

Yield Signs
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 06:20:30 am »

Stop signs and Red Lights

Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 08:08:55 am »

Saying a drawled "thank yewwwwww" may be southern, but to east coast ears it comes across as sarcasm.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 08:18:05 am »

Saying a drawled "thank yewwwwww" may be southern, but to east coast ears it comes across as sarcasm.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Tulsa was a nice city before all the "southerners" moved in.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 08:50:46 am »

Yield Signs

Debatable, since the Yield sign was invented in Tulsa.

As far as expressway ramps, WE (mostly) understand those getting on or off an expressway are the ones expected to yield, but go to OKC or Texas and people exiting an expressway onto a service road are the ones with the right-of-way.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:58:35 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 10:26:37 am »

Debatable, since the Yield sign was invented in Tulsa.

As far as expressway ramps, WE (mostly) understand those getting on or off an expressway are the ones expected to yield, but go to OKC or Texas and people exiting an expressway onto a service road are the ones with the right-of-way.

Yeah, but where that turns into a “roll-your-own” cluster is in the run-up, slow-down lanes like they have westbound on I-44 and Yale and on the westbound I-44 overpass on the BA.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 11:34:41 am »

As far as expressway ramps, WE (mostly) understand those getting on or off an expressway are the ones expected to yield,

Drivers around here seem oblivious to the concept of merging with traffic on expressways at the speed traffic on expressway is traveling.  Too many accelerate to about 40 mph and then hold that speed and expect 65+ mph traffic to make a hole.  Then, a mile late, they will pass you at 20 over the speed limit.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 12:22:16 pm »

Pulling over and yielding for emergency vehicles.

I had a lady honk at me for pulling over for an oncoming ambulance by Utica Square. She apparently didn't see all the other vehicles pulling over as well and started to pull around me into the ambulance path. Threw her hands up in disgust.

onward...through the fog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org