A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:11:10 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have to brag a bit  (Read 5497 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« on: March 31, 2014, 08:49:12 pm »

My little girl who is graduating from Jenks in a couple of months was just accepted to Swarthmore College, class of 2018 (I hope).
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:13:34 pm »

My little girl who is graduating from Jenks in a couple of months was just accepted to Swarthmore College, class of 2018 (I hope).
Congratulations to your daughter.  Swarthmore is only a few miles from where I grew up spent my younger years. I hope she likes S.E. PA.

Swarthmore is just a train ride from Philly.  It's a few stops toward Philadelphia from Elwyn on the regional rail line.
http://www.septa.org/maps/system/

I checked Google maps: 3 miles.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:22:56 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 04:36:14 am »

Congratulations!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 07:11:08 am »

Congratulations to your daughter.  Swarthmore is only a few miles from where I grew up spent my younger years. I hope she likes S.E. PA.

Swarthmore is just a train ride from Philly.  It's a few stops toward Philadelphia from Elwyn on the regional rail line.
http://www.septa.org/maps/system/

I checked Google maps: 3 miles.

Yes, she's going to have to adjust to life without a car. The school has almost no parking, but is close to a train station. She can't take a car until at least her junior year, so we have to figure out what to do with her car, if we are going to let it sit or sell it and get her another one when she can have a car again.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 09:01:07 am »

That is great news, congratulations!  It sounds like a great opportunity.  Does she know what she wants to major in yet?

Welcome to the college years, Swake!  One semester next fall and some summer courses this year and my youngest is done and “off the payroll”.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 01:48:55 pm »

That is great news, congratulations!  It sounds like a great opportunity.  Does she know what she wants to major in yet?

Welcome to the college years, Swake!  One semester next fall and some summer courses this year and my youngest is done and “off the payroll”.

Congrats to you! And her. Does she have a lead on a job yet or is she doing grad school?

I’m just starting on the whole “payroll” thing. Child 2 is just in 7th grade.

The major is the hard part.

She wants to be a lawyer. I’ve even had my lawyer brother try to talk her out of it, there are just too many lawyers anymore and good jobs are so competitive. I do think she can do well, she was closing attorney on her Mock Trial team that made state semi-finals and she’s going to state for debate for the third year in a row. She and her partner finished second in the east last week. Last year she won the east but then bombed at state. 

The hardest part is she wants to major in Philosophy and “something” for undergrad. I tried to push Economics as other part of a double major that takes advantage of her math skills, she’s taking Calc III and Differential Equations this year in high school, and it being a real hirable degree. Something so if she changes her mind on law school or wants to take time off and work for awhile. She says she doesn’t like economics, it’s too close to business. This despite her never having taken a class in Economics. I apparently don’t know what I am talking about. Oh well, she’s young, she will figure it out, she’s a smart, determined girl.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 01:52:54 pm »

An eccentric philosophy professor gave a one question final exam after a semester dealing with a broad array of topics. The class was already seated and ready to go when the professor picked up his chair, plopped it on his desk and wrote on the board: "Using everything we have learned this semester, prove that this chair does not exist." Fingers flew, erasers erased, notebooks were filled in furious fashion. Some students wrote over 30 pages in one hour attempting to refute the existence of the chair. One member of the class however, was up and finished in less than a minute. Weeks later when the grades were posted, the rest of the group wondered how he could have gotten an A when he had barely written anything at all. His answer consisted of two words: "What chair?"

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 02:56:32 pm »

Swake,

Nothing in concrete as of yet, she’s a communications major.  She’s interning in the OU sports information department.  She would like to stay in that realm or sports marketing at the pro level.  I don’t think she will have a shortage of options once she is done.

She’s come a long way from the days of wanting to be a dog groomer when she grew up.  I swear my kids were 5 and 2 just a few days ago.  Now one is out of college and married and the other is almost out of college.  Where did the time go?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 03:07:58 pm »

My kid poops himself but he's gotten to where he can tell me he did it.

A solid step up.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 03:09:46 pm »

A solid step up.

Those were the days.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 03:12:11 pm »

Swake,

Nothing in concrete as of yet, she’s a communications major.  She’s interning in the OU sports information department.  She would like to stay in that realm or sports marketing at the pro level.  I don’t think she will have a shortage of options once she is done.

She’s come a long way from the days of wanting to be a dog groomer when she grew up.  I swear my kids were 5 and 2 just a few days ago.  Now one is out of college and married and the other is almost out of college.  Where did the time go?

I have no idea. My son was a toddler a couple days ago and now he's as tall as me with size 11 feet in 7th grade.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 03:15:51 pm »

A solid step up.

“Hey Dad, I just took a solid country dump!"

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 03:42:49 pm »

“Hey Dad, I just took a solid country dump!"

Something like that
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 06:40:32 pm »

An eccentric philosophy professor gave a one question final exam after a semester dealing with a broad array of topics. The class was already seated and ready to go when the professor picked up his chair, plopped it on his desk and wrote on the board: "Using everything we have learned this semester, prove that this chair does not exist." Fingers flew, erasers erased, notebooks were filled in furious fashion. Some students wrote over 30 pages in one hour attempting to refute the existence of the chair. One member of the class however, was up and finished in less than a minute. Weeks later when the grades were posted, the rest of the group wondered how he could have gotten an A when he had barely written anything at all. His answer consisted of two words: "What chair?"
Very similar. My philosophy prof at TU had one question on the final: "why?"
Myself and several others simply answered "why not?" Or something similarly brief and succinct. We got an A.  Those who wrote several paragraphs got a B.  Simple questions beg simple answers.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 03:08:09 pm »

That is kewl, all the best. Smiley

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org