A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:22:43 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sewer line repairs  (Read 4831 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« on: April 07, 2014, 08:43:42 am »

I have to repair a break in my sewer line where it connects to the main line about eight feet deep at the end of my property. Nice little sinkhole that is consuming plants and small animals.  Its a 95 year old line so no real surprise. Anyone had a good experience with a plumber who does this kind of work at a reasonable price?

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:29:51 am »

I have to repair a break in my sewer line where it connects to the main line about eight feet deep at the end of my property. Nice little sinkhole that is consuming plants and small animals.  Its a 95 year old line so no real surprise. Anyone had a good experience with a plumber who does this kind of work at a reasonable price?

There’s a very good likelihood that you need to replace the entire line from the house to the city line if it’s old clay pipe.  Mainly due to the excavation required, it’s not a cheap proposition.  The previous owners of my Lortondale house had to replace the original sewer line, I believe it’s about a 40 foot run and it cost them about $4000.

I suspect you will get similar quotes from any number of plumbers.

In other home-owner news, your old house on 27th Pl. just sold in a matter of a few weeks after being put on the market.  It’s been well-maintained.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:31:27 am »

Hudson Plumbing replaced ours and were WAY cheaper than anyone else we called.
918-446-5252

http://www.hudsonplumbingok.com/

Tell 'em the Brumleys sent you. Smiley
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 10:05:25 am »

Don't call Mullin Plumbing.

They sent out idiots who did everything wrong including putting a big hole in our dining room concrete floor for no reason. They eventually apologized, sent out better workers and fixed it, but it was a nightmare for days.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:17:29 am »

There’s a very good likelihood that you need to replace the entire line from the house to the city line if it’s old clay pipe.  Mainly due to the excavation required, it’s not a cheap proposition.  The previous owners of my Lortondale house had to replace the original sewer line, I believe it’s about a 40 foot run and it cost them about $4000.

I suspect you will get similar quotes from any number of plumbers.

In other home-owner news, your old house on 27th Pl. just sold in a matter of a few weeks after being put on the market.  It’s been well-maintained.

Thanks, yeah, I figure they may want to replace the whole line but we'll see.

I loved that house on 27th place. It had a cool Hugh Hefner style see through fireplace that opened into two different rooms and backed up to the park. I was too young to appreciate it.

I'm shooting for three estimates.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 04:09:00 pm »

Got a shovel??  Most of that line should be less than 4 ft, then a drop at the back down to the main line.  We had to replace one of the old "greenberg" lines in a the mid 50's ranch we lived in when I was a kid.  We dug the hole, then had a plumber put in the lines.  Much cheaper if cash flow is an issue, but a huge pain in the backside.

Make sure they use schedule 40 pvc for replacement and watch to make sure they glue the joints right!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 04:32:36 pm »

Maybe I could invite the family to a re-union and lock the gates behind them.......

Really, I saw a homeowner over in Morningside do that. It took him 6 months with an open trench in his side yard. Just recently started filling it back up. My neighbors are not that accommodating!

onward...through the fog
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 04:47:48 pm »

Has anyone used the "trenchless" method of repairing/replacing sewer lines? The city uses it on the main lines. It keeps you from having to tear up your yard and landscaping.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 08:14:33 pm »

Has anyone used the "trenchless" method of repairing/replacing sewer lines? The city uses it on the main lines. It keeps you from having to tear up your yard and landscaping.

They called it “trench-less", but they still had to dig a trench when they were inserting the liner down the city sewer main behind my house a couple of years ago, no idea why, I’m assuming to get every one’s feed tied into the liner.  I had just finished landscaping my back bed when they announced that project, I managed to convince the project manager to trench on the other side of the fence where the house was vacant at the time.

I suspect if they did that with yours, it would take minor excavation up near the house and just push the liner all the way to the main.  That should save quite a bit of money without all the excavation hours.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 12:23:59 pm »

Maybe I could invite the family to a re-union and lock the gates behind them.......

Really, I saw a homeowner over in Morningside do that. It took him 6 months with an open trench in his side yard. Just recently started filling it back up. My neighbors are not that accommodating!

Wish we would have thought of that...would have made it go much faster.  As it was, it took about a week from start to finish, with the plumber there about 4 hours.  We filled it in quickly - that is the easy part.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 01:40:15 pm »

My neighbor is using AAA Landscape out of Bixby. I asked the neighbor why he was using and irrigation company and he said they cheapest and had all the equipment to dig up his yard and replace the sewer pipe.

They are still working on it today if you want to look at the work and workers.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 01:50:32 pm »

My neighbor is using AAA Landscape out of Bixby. I asked the neighbor why he was using and irrigation company and he said they cheapest and had all the equipment to dig up his yard and replace the sewer pipe.

They are still working on it today if you want to look at the work and workers.
I can't get away. Don't they have to be licensed with the city to connect to the main?

onward...through the fog
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 02:21:26 pm »

I assume they have a licensed plumber working for them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org