A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:49:35 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1000 Special Places of Green Country  (Read 6147 times)
Brookside
Citizen

« on: March 22, 2014, 09:01:20 am »

I have enjoyed John Brooks Walton's series on Historic Tulsa Homes, but recently I came across Black Dog & Leventhal publishers' 1000 Buildings of... series on London, Paris, and New York.  I am slowly putting together one for our area - not necessarily for them to publish, but maybe for a standalone Web project - with all of the usual buildings included, of course, but expanding the scope to cover all manner of manmade things that make Green Country more fully special than it otherwise could be.

However, I have mostly only visited the cities here.  Grand Lake?  Tenkiller?  Oologah?  Never been.  Besides Woolaroc I don't know any neat old homeplaces in the country that make it more a home.  I haven't seen Muskogee very well, haven't explored any of the ins and outs of Tahlequah or Claremore.  I would bet that there are a hundred hidden jewels I've missed.

So I'm enlisting your knowledge base.  Buildings, sure, but - more than that - anything we here have cultivated, be it collections, gardens, nonprofit organizations of no specific architectural distinction, events, programs, artistic masterpieces, or just some complete wildcard that makes this part of the world more of itself.

If you want to go explore the back roads for a while before you let 'er rip, so much the better.  I want this to be as wholly representative a thousand as can be, and thanks in advance for your help.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 01:15:44 pm »

I suggest watching Green Country People & Places on RSU. They go to all kinds of interesting places, if you can get past all the cheese.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 03:43:53 pm »

I think it's a great idea.  I will try to think of some unique places for ideas.  Welcome to Tulsa Now!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 07:49:27 pm »

I think it's a great idea.  I will try to think of some unique places for ideas.  Welcome to Tulsa Now!

Just think "wherever Guido is, that's what is unique and noteworthy"...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 02:59:41 pm »

As a running nut I really enjoy Tulsa's trail system, I wish they could be extended and done without street crossings though. The  RiverSide Jogging trails are a city gem.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
davideinstein
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 09:09:33 am »

Price Tower
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 09:33:28 am »

The Tulsa Garden Center and Woodward Park will be spectacular in a few weeks, as well as Honor Heights Park in Muskogee for the Azalea Festival.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 09:43:51 pm »

I have enjoyed John Brooks Walton's series on Historic Tulsa Homes, but recently I came across Black Dog & Leventhal publishers' 1000 Buildings of... series on London, Paris, and New York.  I am slowly putting together one for our area - not necessarily for them to publish, but maybe for a standalone Web project - with all of the usual buildings included, of course, but expanding the scope to cover all manner of manmade things that make Green Country more fully special than it otherwise could be.

However, I have mostly only visited the cities here.  Grand Lake?  Tenkiller?  Oologah?  Never been.  Besides Woolaroc I don't know any neat old homeplaces in the country that make it more a home.  I haven't seen Muskogee very well, haven't explored any of the ins and outs of Tahlequah or Claremore.  I would bet that there are a hundred hidden jewels I've missed.

So I'm enlisting your knowledge base.  Buildings, sure, but - more than that - anything we here have cultivated, be it collections, gardens, nonprofit organizations of no specific architectural distinction, events, programs, artistic masterpieces, or just some complete wildcard that makes this part of the world more of itself.

If you want to go explore the back roads for a while before you let 'er rip, so much the better.  I want this to be as wholly representative a thousand as can be, and thanks in advance for your help.

The bunkhouse that was the ranch base for the cowboys who worked on the ranch that is now the Tallgrass Prairie.  Not exotic, but a very interesting building.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Brookside
Citizen

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 02:33:08 pm »

Thanks for these responses, folks.  I plan to launch a web site once I get up in the eight hundreds and then fill in the rest from comments that it draws.  Any suggestions about where else on the Internet I should ask about this?  Keep up the replies to the original post if you like, and I'll be grateful.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 06:38:54 am »

Two Wheel Oklahoma visits a lot of cool places! Rex Brown, one of the creators and stars of the show, is kind of an architecture geek.
http://www.twowheelok.com/p/home.html
https://www.facebook.com/twowheelok
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org