A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:42:03 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TulsaNow endorsement of Jail/Juvenile Center sales tax vote  (Read 23339 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2014, 03:03:14 pm »

I am against both, sorry they passed. Too many residents did not vote.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2014, 03:06:04 pm »

IMO they could of used an old school or something and just added on a section for the Juvenile center, the jail  should be a work/labor camp. While one group of inmates are sleeping the other group is out busting big rocks into tiny rocks, after a good hard day of work the inmates will be too tired to cause problems for the staff. This new fancy stuff is wasteful. I also believe that there is other money that can be used as the tax Assessor has talked about many times before.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2014, 03:56:37 pm »

IMO they could of used an old school or something and just added on a section for the Juvenile center, the jail  should be a work/labor camp. While one group of inmates are sleeping the other group is out busting big rocks into tiny rocks, after a good hard day of work the inmates will be too tired to cause problems for the staff. This new fancy stuff is wasteful. I also believe that there is other money that can be used as the tax Assessor has talked about many times before.

Yeah, uncle kimchi, just chain them together and put them to work in one of the rock quarries in east Tulsa. They deserve it don't they? What's next for you, crucifixion,  public hanging at noon? Don't you need a new tarp for your roof from Wally World?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2014, 04:03:21 pm »

Yeah, uncle kimchi, just chain them together and put them to work in one of the rock quarries in east Tulsa. They deserve it don't they? What's next for you, crucifixion,  public hanging at noon? Don't you need a new tarp for your roof from Wally World?

Maybe a new carb kit for that old Ford three quarter ton with the 351 Windsor in it...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 01:41:01 pm »

Sheriff Seeks an Architect for Jail Expansion

http://kwgs.com/post/sheriff-seeks-architect-jail-expansion

The Tulsa Sheriff’s Office seeks bids for an architect to expand the jail. Sheriff Stanley Glanz says bonds to pay for the work have already been approved and are on the market. He says things are moving along quickly. Advertising for architectural bids was approved today, and are due by the end of the month. Glanz expects the project to begin by August or September, and it should be finished in about 18 months.

Four new jail pods will be constructed, adding some 300 beds to the Moss Center’s inmate capacity.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 09:17:28 pm »

Maybe a new carb kit for that old Ford three quarter ton with the 351 Windsor in it...

If it's an '83, then it is a variable venturi carburetor, and it will never be fixed correctly....doomed to being broken forever.  Remind you of someone??  (Kimchi....)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 12:32:03 am »

Isn't a large part of our jail overcrowding problem caused by the state leaving inmates in county jail because of a lack of beds in state prisons? Maybe attacking that problem would be more productive than building more cells that the state can use for less than they cost to build and run?

Expanding the Moss Jail only creates more of a need to keep it full.

Major Shannon Clark with the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office said it comes down to dollars and cents, because the federal government pays the jail to house its inmates.  He said the jail is an expensive place to run and while people might not like the idea of bringing in illegal immigrants the jail needs the money.

“You know, the lights are on, the people are here, you know, we’ve gotta be here anyway. And so to be paid for those beds, it really benefits us significantly. And what we believe is that it’s offsetting the operational expenses of this facility,” said Clark.
“It has brought upwards of $5 million a year. And, again, we have U.S. Marshals prisoners that average about 100, and then we have ICE inmates that average about 140 a day,” said Clark.

http://www.fox23.com/news/news/local/illegal-immigrants-housed-tulsa-county-jail/nggPS/

Something to think about when they start complaining about overcrowding.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 11:01:55 am »

Hey!!    I had one of those - good truck.....don't take it out on the truck!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 09:50:26 pm »

Sheriff Seeks an Architect for Jail Expansion
http://kwgs.com/post/sheriff-seeks-architect-jail-expansion

“I think when you look at the overall medical record, you will look back and go, ‘Wow,’ for what they are having to deal with,” said Maj. Shannon Clark, spokesman for Tulsa County Sheriff Stanley Glanz, who is in charge of the jail.
"so we're really the victims here"

"death is a part of life" and dying of abuse and negligence while in custody is a natural thing.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/tulsa-jail-faces-inmate-lawsuits-officials-dispute-claims-of-needless/article_7fd38be0-96d0-5406-82e1-526b134b24c9.html

“Anytime you compare a city in Oklahoma with an 1,800 population, they have an obituary section, they have an undertaker, they have people die,” he said.
That would be a good comparison if everyone in that city were kept from their medication and doctors, fed nothing but carbohydrates and starch, and regularly battered, shocked and doused with chemical weapons.

,,,but what can we expect from an Untouchable who just announced he was building a new center, named for himself and paid for with seized cash and property taken from people without due process?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:06:19 am by Vashta Nerada » Logged
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 06:47:54 pm »

...ICE officials... arrange transportation of the immigrants to Tulsa, something that ceased to happen when ICE staff were recently diverted to Fort Sill in Lawton to help process the Central American children who are being housed there.

“That is why our numbers dipped so heavily,” Clark said. “So when our numbers dipped below what we believe is satisfactory, then we made a request to ICE for ICE to allocate more detainees in our building.”
The Sheriff’s Office has been dealing with overcrowding at the county jail for the last three years.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/tulsa-jail-asks-to-hold-more-inmates-for-immigration-and/article_2d95ff8c-c818-55b4-a433-fb9238fee809.html

So our jail is dependent on being packed with federal prisoners, but the county still comes to the taxpayers to deal with the resulting overcrowding.  Got it.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 11:57:07 am »

The county has ruled out placing the center downtown like what they stated a year ago for the vote.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/communities/bixby/news/a-year-later-county-still-planning-for-new-juvenile-justiice/article_d25da754-ac67-5eac-a2b1-2912d31b5ce2.html

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2015, 08:02:35 am »

Bait and switch. The county has also become even more combative about Tulsa's use of the city/county jail seeing it more as just the county jail.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2015, 03:25:12 pm »

Bait and switch. The county has also become even more combative about Tulsa's use of the city/county jail seeing it more as just the county jail.
Hardly

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2015, 03:35:20 pm »

I'm glad they came to their senses. Downtown does not need a Justice District today, just like it didn't need a Government District in the 60s. With the development of the Civic Center, we destroyed 13 lively blocks of downtown Tulsa, full of restaurants, apartments, single family homes, shops, etc. and erected a few lifeless superblocks that served but a couple of uses.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2015, 03:41:26 pm »

Hardly

What was the reason the Storey site was rejected?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org