A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:35:28 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Center of the Universe Festival Headliners Announced  (Read 14727 times)
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« on: February 26, 2014, 04:09:09 pm »

Headliners for the 2014 Center of the Universe Festival announced

By JERRY WOFFORD World Scene Writer

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/offbeat/offbeat-headliners-for-the-center-of-the-universe-festival-announced/article_9d6861e6-9f19-11e3-807d-001a4bcf6878.html

The center of Tulsa’s music universe will once again revolve around the Brady District this July with the return of the Center of the Universe Festival.

And the six headlining acts announced Wednesday are sure to bring high-energy performances to Tulsa for the two-day festival.

The July 25 and 26 festival will feature Twenty One Pilots, Fitz and the Tantrums and AWOLNATION headlining the festival Friday night. Cold War Kids, Capital Cities and Young the Giant will perform on the main stage Saturday night.

Nearly 80,000 came downtown over the course of two days last summer for the inaugural Center of the Universe Festival with headliners OneRepublic, Neon Trees, OK Go and Mutemath.

Organizers expected about 40,000 to attend last year’s festival, but despite soaring temperatures, thousands more came out for the festival.

Headlining acts performed on a stage outside of Cain’s Ballroom on Main Street, but the bars, restaurants and venues throughout the Brady District hosted acts with a wide range of music all weekend. Food trucks and vendors set up shop through the area and art galleries in the area opened their doors to the masses for the festival.

Organizers are planning changes to this year’s festival, which will be outlined in a press conference Thursday morning.
------------
Spotify Playlist included in the article: spotify:user:jfwofford:playlist:1idwmwMIJHGVmCkFo3aWBS or http://open.spotify.com/user/jfwofford/playlist/1idwmwMIJHGVmCkFo3aWBS

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 01:40:29 am »

Interesting line up. Now, how do I get from the Deco District to the Brady District?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 06:53:42 am »

Interesting line up. Now, how do I get from the Deco District to the Brady District?

North up Cincinatti and through the Blue Dome District.  Grin

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 09:59:17 am »

Or, you could walk north on Boulder, over the bridge and turn right. Hopefully someone will run a tram or something around the area.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:05:58 am »

Southies aren’t welcome there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rebound
City Father

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:10:35 am »

I thought "Southie" started about 51st.  Smiley

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 12:13:02 pm »

I thought "Southie" started about 51st.  Smiley

The Gueed and I are considered Southies with extreme prejudice.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 12:43:57 pm »

That's OK, I wasn't planning of going.

Cheesy

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 12:44:40 pm »

First you have to get to the Deco District.

Cheesy

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 10:15:18 pm »

The Gueed and I are considered Southies with extreme prejudice.

+1.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 12:58:13 pm »

Apparently one of the changes this year is that it isn't free anymore.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 12:21:42 pm »

Just saw that there won't be one this year.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 12:42:52 pm »

The story says Lieberman is claiming they outgrew the venue.  Not sure where else you’d do this in Tulsa.  If you move it to Mohawk or to the Rocklahoma festival grounds it really loses it’s character as an urban music festival. 

Maybe they figured out what Tom and Angie Green did with D-Fest, it’s a grumble to do one of these and keep it going from year to year when it gets really big.

Victim of its own success?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
davideinstein
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 05:03:37 pm »

The story says Lieberman is claiming they outgrew the venue.  Not sure where else you’d do this in Tulsa.  If you move it to Mohawk or to the Rocklahoma festival grounds it really loses it’s character as an urban music festival. 

Maybe they figured out what Tom and Angie Green did with D-Fest, it’s a grumble to do one of these and keep it going from year to year when it gets really big.

Victim of its own success?

If it was successful then it would be here again this year.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 07:15:46 pm »

Word around the campfire is it was a huge money loser.  When you have 100 bands, the talent costs add up, aside from building and taking away a temporary venue(s) that only makes you income for three days.  With out a huge title sponsor I can’t see how it is feasible.  With the downturn in the energy market, the line to sponsor events like this is probably pretty short.

There’s already some talk about someone else doing a festival a bit later in the summer, though.  Someone always has a better idea and a way to actually make money doing this.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:20:55 pm by Conan71 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org