A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:50:38 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New USL soccer team named Roughnecks  (Read 27541 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: February 26, 2014, 01:07:12 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/soccer/fans-vote-to-resurrect-roughnecks-name-for-new-tulsa-pro/article_5f48c868-d653-5fc7-bc2e-c1f9567273b1.html

Fans vote to resurrect Roughnecks name for new Tulsa pro soccer team

By ERIC BAILEY World Sports Writer 

Tulsa's new professional franchise name will ring a familiar tone with longtime local sports fans. The city's new USL PRO soccer team will be known as the Tulsa Roughnecks. The "Roughnecks" name was an overwhelming choice by fan voting in the Tulsa World Media Company Name Your Team Contest.

The name is shared with the wildly popular Tulsa Roughnecks, who competed in the North American Soccer League between 1978-84. The NASL was the United States' top league at the time, comparable to Major League Soccer that is played today. Tulsa won the 1983 NASL championship.

The new team's official name will be Tulsa Roughnecks FC and the franchise will begin play in the 2015 season. Work has started to develop team colors, logos and uniforms. Those items are expected to be released later this spring or summer. The name "Roughnecks" received nearly 50 percent of the votes. Tulsa Strike finished second with 25 percent, FC Tulsa was third (16 percent) and Oil City FC (9 percent) finished fourth.

"Throughout the voting process, it became clear that the nickname Roughnecks has come to be the name that soccer fans associate with Tulsa professional soccer," said Mike Melega, the team's general manager. "It is our city's soccer identity here and throughout the country, and we are excited to bring it back.

"We realize the name may be unpopular with some fans and also realize that it comes with lofty expectations. We are not trying to present this team as the past Roughnecks, because we have so much to prove as both a team and an organization. But, like that franchise, we do want to work to build a club and an operation that everyone in the city can be proud of. "We hope the name will help introduce the game and the city's soccer history to a new generation of fans."

Dale Hubbard, the second-generation owner of the Tulsa Drillers, is the Roughnecks' majority owner. "Went Hubbard made a commitment more than 25 years ago to operate a quality, professional baseball franchise in the city of Tulsa," Dale Hubbard said. "We are very excited to now extend that commitment to the beautiful game of soccer with the long overdue return of a professional franchise to our city.

"We look forward to being involved in the soccer community as we are with the baseball community. There is a lot of work to do in the next 12 months, but we cannot wait until the first game comes to ONEOK Field." The Roughnecks' home games will be played at ONEOK, with the season beginning in March 2015. USL PRO is a third-tier league in the United States Soccer Federation pyramid and has started a partnership with the MLS.

All MLS teams must have an affiliation or field a team in USL PRO by 2015, and it's expected the Roughnecks will have an affiliation by that time. Season tickets for the inaugural season are now on sale. Fans may secure a priority position for selecting seat locations by placing a $25 per seat deposit.

Power is nothing till you use it.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:09:35 pm »

I suspect this will not be well-received by Rufnex. Everybody else I know associated with the other outdoor team is mad that there is going to be competition.

I went to see the Athletics play. I liked their game and fans. I suspect I will like this new team too.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 03:59:22 pm »

I don't really get the rift.  Did the A's make a bid to move to USL Pro and get beat out?  USL Pro is higher on the pyramid and has MLS affiliates so they seem to be the logical choice for most fans who are new to the game.  I enjoy the A's games and will be attending this year.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens in 2015.  I'm pretty excited about a higher MLS affiliated team playing downtown.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:20:37 pm »

I don't really get the rift. 

I'm pretty excited about a higher MLS affiliated team playing downtown.

I have been attacked in the comments section of the Tulsa World story by an Athletics fan. He seems to be an expert on soccer and I don't know nuthin.

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 03:13:41 am »

He's expressing his/her opinion.

Just like you did here on the TulsaNow forum a few years ago when you went on your little anti "soccer-only" stadium yet curiously pro- baseball-specific-stadium rant.
I will not be privy to being the baseball-centric New Hampshire Hubbard family red-headed stepchild.

Evidently, soccer people are not worthy of placing a team in your leftover baseball stadium on 15th and Yale.

You realize that Went Hubbard spent over $6 million dollars in the 90s to remodel Drillers Stadium for a potential AAA baseball team at the exact same time that MLS would have placed a league-owned team in Tulsa in exchange for a $1mil field reno from turf to grass at Skelly Stadium.... I lived in Boston in the 90s... please tell me exactly how Went Hubbard's New Hampshire sons from Walpole magically became fans of Tulsa soccer... ?

Buehler?  Buehler?   Tongue
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 04:33:27 am by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 07:29:00 am »

I ranted against a soccer only stadium?

I think you and the Athletics fans are being childish. You are attacking the Drillers owners because they grew up in New Hampshire? I see him at every Driller game so I assume he lives in Tulsa now. Did you grow up in Tulsa? If not, is that a dealbreaker on being a fan?

Just because he owns a baseball team then he can't possibly be a soccer fan? I didn't realize that soccer fans were so territorial.

I went to Athletics games. I got a large group of people to tailgate and go to the games. I helped promote the games here and on facebook. I guess that was before I realized that Athletics fans feel like the are the only true soccer fans.

The Drillers are the classiest minor league sports franchise in Tulsa's history. They have put on a good product, invested in their stadiums, and hired good people. The fact that some of them are spending big dollars to bring a professional soccer team to Tulsa should be a good thing.

But not to you and the Athletic soccer hooligans. You are jealous of their money and ability. I get it. But attacking anybody who likes the idea of even more soccer in Tulsa is nothing but childish.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 09:37:06 am »

I posted this in a dead thread so I will ask it again on this one.
The team is going to be the "Roughnecks" but. They are deciding on colors and logo?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 01:02:26 pm »

Who knows, could this signal an eventual return of the Roughnecks to the North American Soccer League (NASL)?

It would be great if they could use the 'original' Tulsa Roughnecks logo--it would certainly bring back memories.  2015 will see a new long awaited 'in state' rivalry with the Oklahoma City Energy who will begin USL-Pro play in 2014.  This will be great for soccer in the state of Oklahoma.

OKC will also have a team in the NASL beginning 2015.  Tim McLauglin (NASL-OKC expansion), who was the primary owner of the team has withdrawn and the other investors have picked up the slack.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 02:16:31 pm »

The best Logo by far of any Soccer team ever.

davideinstein
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 02:25:27 pm »

Sweet. I'll be a season ticket holder.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 10:23:14 pm »

I ranted against a soccer only stadium?

Whenever the subject was brought up about a "soccer specfic stadium" back when it looked like we could get a relocated Kansas City MLS team, you went out of your way to paint it as a place where only soccer could be played.

I think you and the Athletics fans are being childish.

I think you and the Drillers are being childishly opportunistic.

Just because he owns a baseball team then he can't possibly be a soccer fan? I didn't realize that soccer fans were so territorial.

Actually, baseball fans are territorial.
You'll find that out in the summer of 2015.

I went to Athletics games. I got a large group of people to tailgate and go to the games. I helped promote the games here and on facebook. I guess that was before I realized that Athletics fans feel like the are the only true soccer fans.

Now you're just pouting because we Athletics fans question the motivation and wisdom of the Hubbards owning a soccer team that will always play second fiddle to the Drillers.

The Drillers are the classiest minor league sports franchise in Tulsa's history. They have put on a good product, invested in their stadiums, and hired good people. The fact that some of them are spending big dollars to bring a professional soccer team to Tulsa should be a good thing.

The Athletics are turning into the most amazing grassroots organization I've ever witnessed in any city.
To have their dreams cut short and their existence co-opted would be tragic.

But not to you and the Athletic soccer hooligans. You are jealous of their money and ability. I get it. But attacking anybody who likes the idea of even more soccer in Tulsa is nothing but childish.

To the contrary, I believe the Drillers became so jealous of the kind of crowds we were getting last summer, they decided to secure a team without partnering with the Athletics.
Sad... and I find your own accusations directed towards Athletics' fans little more than childish thuggery, truth be told.

You seem to forget all about the NASL bid... http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/john-klein-lund-is-hopeful-soccer-crazed-tulsa-can-get/article_7e301e19-ba72-59d7-9bf9-54a73706b386.html

Would be sad if Bob Funk Jr's OKC Energy get an MLS team of their own and then secures the "Tulsa Roughnecks" as their farm team.
Because that's been his plan all along... http://wvhooligan.com/2013/07/mls-expansion-oklahoma-city-eyes-future-bid/''

Word Mark    TULSA ROUGHNECKS FC
Goods and Services    IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, organizing, providing and conducting professional soccer exhibitions and games
Standard Characters Claimed    
Mark Drawing Code    (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number    86069516
Filing Date    September 19, 2013
Current Basis    1B
Original Filing Basis    1B
Published for Opposition    March 4, 2014
Owner    (APPLICANT) Prodigal Soccer LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY OKLAHOMA 615 N. Hudson, Suite 100 Oklahoma City OKLAHOMA 73102
Attorney of Record    Harvey L. Yusman
Disclaimer    NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "TULSA" AND "FC" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark    SERVICE MARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator    LIVE
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 12:47:10 am by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 08:38:27 am »

I politely disagree.

I just want professional soccer in Tulsa. The Athletics games were fun, but it was not the best product. The players were amateurs, the referees let fights happen during the game and on the sidelines, and the games never even started on time. The league was two teams from Houston and a team from Plano. To make a season, they played those same three teams four times each. There was no investment into the fan experience. When you sang the national anthem, no one could hear you because of cheap audio equipment. The concessions were some food trucks parked on the other side of the stadium that no one went to.

It was completely underfunded. Grassroots is a polite way to say doing everything cheap.  

Compare that to OneOk field with top notch food and beer options, seats with actual backs, a big screen TV, and even luxury boxes. The league is tier three professional (same as the Drillers). The downtown location and new stadium alone will make it a better experience for the fans. It is incredibly presumptious of you to say that baseball fans and baseball teams owners can't possibly want to have a great soccer team and product. Your judgement of others disappoints me.

The Athletics had one season. That doesn't give them the right to own all things soccer in Tulsa. Competition between the two clubs will be good for the fans. You have one more season to build your brand and fan base before the Roughnecks start play in 2015. Obviously, Houston has two teams because you played them last year. It might be possible to have an amateur team at old Drillers Stadium and a professional team at OneOk Field. It would even be possible to work together (but I doubt it now that you and the hooligans have been so vocal against the Roughnecks in the media).  

The Athletics didn't invent soccer in Tulsa. There have been two other times when teams named Roughnecks have started and failed the last twenty years here. They failed because they tried to do everything without any money (sounds familiar).  

I hope you get over it. I was pissed at the Thunder when they promised to be the Oklahoma Thunder and then at the last minute decided to become the Oklahoma City Thunder (after getting $40 million in state funds). I was a Maverics fan and a Celtic fan and wasn't going to change just because there was a team closer to my house. But after seeing the product they put on the court and the way they treat their fans, I have come around. I now cheer for the Thunder and look forward to watching their games.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:30:57 pm by RecycleMichael » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 08:45:05 am »

The Athletics are turning into the most amazing grassroots organization I've ever witnessed in any city.
To have their dreams cut short and their existence co-opted would be tragic.

Ruf, It would have been nice to see the Hubbards at least try and work with Sonny.  But, as long as the Athletics put a good product on the field they really shouldn’t have anything to worry about.  It sounds like they have gained a very loyal following in a short amount of time.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
davideinstein
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 02:11:00 pm »

I hope we get a really bitter rivalry out of this!
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 02:28:13 pm »

I hope we get a really bitter rivalry out of this!

If so it would resemble the movie "Little Giants". Great movie by the way.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org