A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:01:24 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uber Bill Passed In OKC what are the Taxi / Transportation options here?  (Read 21437 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 09:38:23 am »

The tip is already calculated into the fee. No money exchanges hands in the car. I welcome Uber to Tulsa. The taxi scene here is embarrassing.

Also - anecdotal to be sure, but in my several years of experience as a server and bartender back in college, young people in general tipped a lot more than the older clientele. The worst tippers were usually the people who assured you that they were "big tippers."

So if I understand you correctly, you request it through an app, they tell you how much and how much your tip is, and you pay it before you get into the car? Sorry, guess I'm not hip enough to not care about price, and pay for a service in advance.
TeeDub
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 10:14:11 am »

So if I understand you correctly, you request it through an app, they tell you how much and how much your tip is, and you pay it before you get into the car? Sorry, guess I'm not hip enough to not care about price, and pay for a service in advance.

But you also know the whole price in advance.   If it comes up higher than you like, call a conventional cab company. 

It seems like a great alternative to have available.  I'm curious to see if it stays.
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 10:30:35 am »

My wife and I used Uber last night to get to and from downtown.   I had a $20 credit that I didn't want to waste.  It was pretty easy to use.  The distance from our house to our drop off was 1.3 miles.  The cost was $5.16 to get there and $5.51 to get back home.  Since I still have some of my credit left, we will definitely use it again.  One thing that I have noticed from randomly bringing the app up is, the later it gets (especially on weeknights), the fewer cars there are.  There were 7 or 8 cars out when we left the house and only 3 when we left downtown.  You might need a backup plan if it is late and there are no cars available to get you to your destination.

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 10:31:06 pm »

I want Zipcar out of all these fancy big city options.

So, I did some reading on Zipcar. Sounds awfully damned expensive. If I rented one for two hours a day (one hour each way for commuting so you don't have to pay a $50.00 late fee) and maybe 6 hours on a weekend to take care of shopping, running errands, going out to dinner with friends, at $8.00/hour for an economy car that comes out to $128.00/ week. So in a year of that average you will spend just under $7,000.00/year. That's $2000.00 more per year then when I was making car payment, insurance, gas, oil changes, and  registration.

No thanks, I'll pass for daily use. Maybe when I travel, but doubt it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 06:10:42 am »

So, I did some reading on Zipcar. Sounds awfully damned expensive. If I rented one for two hours a day (one hour each way for commuting so you don't have to pay a $50.00 late fee) and maybe 6 hours on a weekend to take care of shopping, running errands, going out to dinner with friends, at $8.00/hour for an economy car that comes out to $128.00/ week. So in a year of that average you will spend just under $7,000.00/year. That's $2000.00 more per year then when I was making car payment, insurance, gas, oil changes, and  registration.

No thanks, I'll pass for daily use. Maybe when I travel, but doubt it.

I think your missing the point lol.  A zipcar is basically like a quick rental for occasional usage, not regular use.  You would mostly use it in situations where…
 A. You already do most everything you mention above mostly with transit/walking/biking
and then you use it in those occasional cases where…
 B. You can't walk/bike to a destination or use transit easily or need to haul something larger than what you would want to take on a bus/underground/bike etc.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 10:12:56 am »

I had a ZipCar membership in the DC area for a few years. I took the metro to work and we had one car for the family. In case we needed a second one, I kept a membership. There was a ZipCar in the metro parking lot so I could walk to get it (not have to get driven to a car rental shop). Over 2-3 years, we used it 3 or 4 times. And it turns out that was when we needed a truck to move something. So we rented a truck for $10/hour. But the peace of mind in case I needed wheels when my wife was using the family car was nice to have.

Definitely not for regular use. Designed for people who live on public transport, but need to take a car to pick something up or get a bunch of groceries, etc.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 11:59:17 am »

I had a ZipCar membership in the DC area for a few years. I took the metro to work and we had one car for the family. In case we needed a second one, I kept a membership. There was a ZipCar in the metro parking lot so I could walk to get it (not have to get driven to a car rental shop). Over 2-3 years, we used it 3 or 4 times. And it turns out that was when we needed a truck to move something. So we rented a truck for $10/hour. But the peace of mind in case I needed wheels when my wife was using the family car was nice to have.

Definitely not for regular use. Designed for people who live on public transport, but need to take a car to pick something up or get a bunch of groceries, etc.

That's what it was designed for, but from several of the reviews I have read, people were trying to replace car ownership for daily use of Zip. Other things I read was Zip substituting cars of a higher value than what was requested, different rates for the same car based on location, bad customer service, and several people not reading the fine print and their accounts being canceled without notice.

If you are fortunate to live somewhere with outstanding mass transit, and you live within 5 blocks of everything you need, and just need it four hours a week, then it's a good idea.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 12:47:19 pm »

That's what it was designed for, but from several of the reviews I have read, people were trying to replace car ownership for daily use of Zip. Other things I read was Zip substituting cars of a higher value than what was requested, different rates for the same car based on location, bad customer service, and several people not reading the fine print and their accounts being canceled without notice.

Actual reviews, or shills ?
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 12:59:19 pm »

Actual reviews, or shills ?

It's from Yelp so do as I did and take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/zipcar-chicago
davideinstein
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 02:57:12 pm »

Zipcar should be the target by YPros next year.

Or, just a decent bicycle infrastructure. A seriously powerful group has formed in Tulsa. I'm loving it.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 11:19:37 am »

Uber clone Lyft is now in Tulsa according to the Tulsa World.  The article says that they have a $1 surcharge on every ride that covers a $1 million insurance policy.  Between Uber and Lyft, is there any reason to choose one over the other?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 03:01:18 pm »

Sounds like the city's going to take steps to screw up Uber/Lyft.

Talks Begin on Uber, Lyft Ordinance for Tulsa

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/talks-begin-uber-lyft-ordinance-tulsa

Tulsa city officials begin talks about regulating companies like Uber and Lyft, which are ride sharing operations.

Senior Assistant City Attorney Bob Edmiston said their business structure keeps transaction information out of the city’s hands.

"It's all a private contract handled exclusively on the digital platform. Everything is arranged, so then we are concerned about safety measures," Edmiston said. "If it's something the city is going to allow or suggest happen, then we want to know that all the safety measures are taken care of."

The proposed ordinance says companies must apply for a certificate. The requirements are mostly ones the companies already claim to meet, such as background checks on drivers.

City Councilor Blake Ewing said riders’ ability to rate drivers already regulates the companies in a way.

"The technology allows you to say, 'This driver does a great job — has bottled water in their very clean care and drove safely and was a wonderful conversationalist,'" Ewing said. "And, 'This driver played obnoxious music too loudly and hadn't showered in a week.' It will self-regulate because of the rating ability."

The ordinance should come up for a first reading next week.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 12:13:22 am »

Sounds like the city's going to take steps to screw up Uber/Lyft.

Talks Begin on Uber, Lyft Ordinance for Tulsa

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/talks-begin-uber-lyft-ordinance-tulsa

I think they are going to require Uber to pay a fee and carry insurance.  I don't think they are going to screw them up.  Didn't realize you are a city council truther.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:16:26 am by CharlieSheen » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 11:33:19 am »

I think they are going to require Uber to pay a fee and carry insurance.  I don't think they are going to screw them up.  Didn't realize you are a city council truther.

Perhaps my language is a bit harsh.  "Screw up" could be going too far.  

I wonder how much regulation each business truly needs.

Is this brought on by competing companies?

"Truther"?  No.  Just wondering what steps they truly need to take to make sure the public gets great service from Uber and other companies like it.  That's what this is about right?  Making sure things go well for the citizens of Tulsa.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 11:58:19 am »

Perhaps my language is a bit harsh.  "Screw up" could be going too far.  

I wonder how much regulation each business truly needs.

Is this brought on by competing companies?

"Truther"?  No.  Just wondering what steps they truly need to take to make sure the public gets great service from Uber and other companies like it.  That's what this is about right?  Making sure things go well for the citizens of Tulsa.

21 year old driver, Uber/Lyft to be licensed with the city.  Gives the drivers commercial insurance through Uber/Lyft.  Which is great because many times people assume that they will be covered by their personal insurance when they really aren't.  Which means if you are injured in somebody else's car their insurance isn't going to cover your medical bills.

Also the licensing fee to Uber/Lyft at least makes it equal to a cab company fee.  Now they are legit with the city.  I don't see why they shouldn't have rules on them like the cab companies do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org