A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:00:09 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BCS is Done  (Read 7395 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: January 07, 2014, 12:46:07 am »

The BCS era is over, and in my view ends on a very high note. Great games all the way around. I miss college football already.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:10:07 am »

Good game, but the BCS concept royally suckethed...     We won't have a true championship until the playoffs get up to at least 16 teams, and every D1 school has an opportunity to play in.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:38:20 am »

Glad to see the SEC/ACC/Big East Championship disappear forever. In the 16 game history, the SEC won it nine times, ACC twice, Big East and Big Ten once. It was tilted towards east coast teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCS_National_Championship_Game
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 12:54:07 pm »

Glad to see the SEC/ACC/Big East Championship disappear forever. In the 16 game history, the SEC won it nine times, ACC twice, Big East and Big Ten once. It was tilted towards east coast teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCS_National_Championship_Game

Big 12 won it twice (OU & Texas). PAC-10 won (USC) but later vacated. And since when is Alabama, LSU & Auburn east coast teams?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
davideinstein
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 04:15:52 pm »

16 team playoff with 11 automatic conference champion bids and 5 at-large. Until then, same as it ever was.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 04:24:50 pm »

16 team playoff with 11 automatic conference champion bids and 5 at-large. Until then, same as it ever was.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvM6TxUnCDE[/youtube]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 04:46:59 pm »

I think 8 team playoff will work. Five conference champs (from SEC, ACC, Big10, Big12, and PAC 10) plus three at-large.

Minor conferences like Sun Belt, Mountain West, Mid America, Conference USA, American Athletic and independents need to improve their competitiveness to deserve inclusion.

An eight team playoff will add three weeks to a school schedule for the final two teams. That is enough.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 02:59:51 pm »

I think 8 team playoff will work. Five conference champs (from SEC, ACC, Big10, Big12, and PAC 10) plus three at-large.

Minor conferences like Sun Belt, Mountain West, Mid America, Conference USA, American Athletic and independents need to improve their competitiveness to deserve inclusion.

An eight team playoff will add three weeks to a school schedule for the final two teams. That is enough.

Agree!

An eight team playoff format will probably be the maximum for an NCAA football playoff schedule; university presidents are looking at a college football playoff plan with lot of scrutiny.  

Concerns about the bowls:

''Championship Series: $202 million from the Rose, Sugar, Orange and Fiesta Bowls plus the national championship game. In the spirit of promoting the common good, that BCS money was shared with leagues that did not have a team in a BCS game."--USA Today:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/12/29/bowl-ticket-discounters/4242757/

"Teams In The Orange Bowl Don't Make Any Money, And Other Lies."--Regressing:http://regressing.deadspin.com/teams-in-the-orange-bowl-dont-make-any-money-and-othe-1494130032

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
davideinstein
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 03:45:37 pm »

I don't think it's a true NCAA championship unless all conference winners get a bid. If they aren't good enough for FBS level football then they need to get back to the FCS level. I think some MAC and Sun Belt teams could pull off some crazy upsets which would make for "December Madness".
Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 01:05:41 am »

I don't think it's a true NCAA championship unless all conference winners get a bid. If they aren't good enough for FBS level football then they need to get back to the FCS level. I think some MAC and Sun Belt teams could pull off some crazy upsets which would make for "December Madness".
In this scenario, minor conference teams would likely play much more talented major conference teams in the 1st round as in March madness.  However, these games would not likely be competitive nor interesting.  There is a much greater gap between the major - minor conference football vs. the major - mid major/ minor basketball schools in terms of level of play.  The bigger football programs land most of the best players, whereas there is more than enough basketball talent (aided by fewer players per team) to spread beyond just the major schools.  Also consider the it is just inherently more difficult for a much lesser football team to upset a talented top level program.  The upsets like Appalachian St. over Michigan several years ago tend be memorable because they are so rare.

Due to all of the complexities involved in coming right out of the block with a good 8 team format, I agree in starting with the 4 team format.  Hopefully, this allows the powers that be to work out how to best implement the expanded 8 team format.  16 teams is too big.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 09:43:37 pm »

Due to all of the complexities involved in coming right out of the block with a good 8 team format, I agree in starting with the 4 team format.  Hopefully, this allows the powers that be to work out how to best implement the expanded 8 team format.  16 teams is too big.

Well,  I don't think 16 is too big.  But anything is better than the BCS.  Let's get it straightened out with four, and it will go to eight soon enough.  Then we can worry about 16. 

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 08:26:29 am »

16 wont happen.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org