A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:41:58 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Just Can’t Make This Stuff Up...  (Read 4427 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: January 13, 2014, 03:00:51 pm »

A Portland pimp is suing Nike for not placing a warning label in their shoes specifying that they could be used as a dangerous weapon -- after he was sentenced to 100 years in prison for brutally beating a john with his sneaker.

Sirgiorgio Clardy, 26, claims Nike should have placed a warning in the shoes warning consumers that the kicks have the potential to be used as a dangerous weapon, according to The Oregonian newspaper. Clardy is seeking $100 million for what he believes was the shoe manufacturer’s oversight.

In June, Clardy repeatedly stomped on the face of a client with his Jordan Nike shoes when the man refused to pay Clardy’s prostitute. The man required stitches and plastic surgery after the beating.

Clardy was sentenced to 100 years in prison for beating the man as well as attacking an 18-year-old prostitute so violently that she bled from her ears.
Clardy has been charged with numerous felonies and misdemeanors, according to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office.

The jury in Clardy’s most recent case called him a “dangerous offender” and classified his shoes as “a dangerous weapon” in order to assure he received the longest prison sentence possible, according to The Oregonian.

Clardy wrote a three-page complaint against Nike from the Eastern Oregon Correctional Institution where he is incarcerated, reported The Oregonian. In the claim he said Nike “failed to warn of risk or to provide an adequate warning or instruction,” by not cautioning that their shoes are “potentially dangerous.”

The suit has not yet been served to Nike, The Oregonian said.

Nike spokeswoman Mary Remuzzi said the company had no comment regarding the lawsuit.

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/cced/economies/tourism/Hotel.pdf

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 03:07:21 pm »

This is *almost* as bad as death by atomic wedgie.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:21:51 pm »

I can beat that.

Woman sues lawyers for 'failing to tell her' divorce would cause her marriage to end

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/woman-sues-lawyers-failing-tell-3010386
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 03:33:11 pm »

I can beat that.

Woman sues lawyers for 'failing to tell her' divorce would cause her marriage to end

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/woman-sues-lawyers-failing-tell-3010386

Let’s just hope she didn’t pro-create.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 04:02:28 pm »

I wonder if Nike has any grounds for a suit against the jury for product/ brand defamation or libel for classifying their shoes as a dangerous weapon? 
A good judge might rule swiftly against them stating that given the cost of a pair, they should serve some other purpose than just foot wear.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 04:03:21 pm »

I wonder if Nike has any grounds for a suit against the jury for product/ brand defamation or libel for classifying their shoes as a dangerous weapon? 
A good judge might rule swiftly against them stating that given the cost of a pair, they should serve some other purpose than just foot wear.

Good point!

I suspect this one will be tossed out pretty quickly.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:21:53 pm »

If they stay out of Oklahoma...here they could only get $300,000 punitive damage....wouldn't cover the lawyer fees.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 11:22:53 am »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/firefighter-arrested-scene-highway-crash-article-1.1603205

and it's not the first time:
http://gawker.com/news-cameras-catch-cop-handcuff-on-duty-fireman-over-pa-1517076544

This firefighter wasnt so lucky, killed on his wedding night:
http://vidmax.com/video/68167-After-losing-the-fight-a-police-officer-shoots-and-kills-a-firefighter
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:10:54 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org