A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:21:27 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: White Flag  (Read 40807 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 12:46:51 pm »

We have purchased Wagyu beef from Snake River farms.  The primary difference is the excessive fat marbling throughout the cuts, not found in angus, and rare but obtainable in Hereford and Piedmont.   If you are grilling a steak or burger (fast, high-heat) this will indeed make a difference!  Indeed!

. . .however, if you are doing a brisket, roast, or other large cut that will cook for a long period of time, the difference in taste and texture is imperceivable. The only thing a Kobe or Wagyu brisket will do is lighten your wallet.

Handling one is impressive though.  Where a typical high quality brisket will have quite a bit of what we call "flop," but still have a firm texture at the point, your wagyu brisket is like handling an octopus. . .very floppy and with amazing marbling. I did one at Bixby last year, and during trimming, I took part of the point (typically used for burnt ends) and just grilled it for the guys to sample.  It turned out like filet.  The brisket however, tasted no different after 8-10 hours of smoking than the hereford briskets we got from Perry's for 1/10th the price.

The real myth when it comes to beef is the Angus myth.  Angus is not superior beef, it is simply an easier breed for cattlemen to handle, because they are docile, easy to breed, and have no horns.  They also reach maturity faster. Angus meat is leaner, has less flavor, and more connective tissue.  About 10 years ago the fast food industry started a marketing campaign to promote the Angus product because it was cheaper from production to table, and they were so successful that they ended up with the ability to charge a higher margin.  Grocery chains quickly followed suit, making the Angus the most popular cattle for beef.

Give me a Hereford or Piedmont any day over an Angus.  I like a Wagyu steak, but not enough to pay the premium.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 12:47:42 pm »

McNellie's makes a tasty charbroiled burger.

Burgers and steaks!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 01:14:25 pm »

I'll buy into Kobe beef right after I take fashion tips from Biker Fox.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 03:22:12 pm »

I'll buy into Kobe beef right after I take fashion tips from Biker Fox.

My stars

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 05:18:21 pm »

Kobe, or not, I have a hard time paying more than $8.00 for a burger. I'd rather spend $13.00 for a nice ribeye and cook it myself.

lucky for you, all but one of their burgers is under $8
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 12:16:29 am »

I like that White Flag has a pickle bar. I think it is fun to start the dining experience with sweet pickles and saltines. It is one of my favorite appetizers and is free (which makes it taste even better).

I also go to downtown Albert Gs and Goldie's hamburgers for the same reason.

Redneck hors d’oeuvres:

Saltine cracker, sweet pickle, splash of mustard on top of the pickle, black pepper.  If they have Louisiana hot sauce or Tabasco, a dash over the mixture.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 12:19:20 am »

McNellie's makes a tasty charbroiled burger.

I’m glad they can still do that, their fish and chips are something worse than dreadful.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2014, 11:36:25 am »

I’m glad they can still do that, their fish and chips are something worse than dreadful.

Where do you go for the best fish and chips?

Local: I think Baxter's Interurban is really good. Usually.

Chain: Red Robin's F&C reminds me of Arthur Treacher's. I like it a lot.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2014, 12:17:24 pm »

Where do you go for the best fish and chips?

Local: I think Baxter's Interurban is really good. Usually.

Chain: Red Robin's F&C reminds me of Arthur Treacher's. I like it a lot.

Doc's on Brookside is really good.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2014, 04:57:51 pm »

Full Moons use to be good.....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 10:59:36 pm »

I think The Alley has the best F & C in Tulsa at the moment. Though Breadburner’s squeaky wallet says they are on the high side at $16.  I don’t mind the price point because my arteries can only handle that treat every few months or so.

Paddy’s had the best before that, much like Arthur Treachers, Angie.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 09:12:57 am »

I think The Alley has the best F & C in Tulsa at the moment. Though Breadburner’s squeaky wallet says they are on the high side at $16.  I don’t mind the price point because my arteries can only handle that treat every few months or so.

I'm pretty sure Conan's picture is on the wall at the Alley.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2014, 09:46:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure Conan's picture is on the wall at the Alley.

There is a portrait of some sort of porcine character in there.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2014, 07:54:01 am »

Oh, yes, I had forgotten...we did go there once and had fish and chips. It was really good, but pricey.

Is Paddy's still there? I remember going to that place in my early twenties...a couple of years or so ago. Roll Eyes
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2014, 09:38:12 am »

Oh, yes, I had forgotten...we did go there once and had fish and chips. It was really good, but pricey.

Is Paddy's still there? I remember going to that place in my early twenties...a couple of years or so ago. Roll Eyes

Nope, the tax man finally caught up with Keith.  It’s been Fat Daddy’s (or something like that) for quite some time now, at least five years or more.  I used to love to go hear Dave Armstrong and Ray Hamilton out there on the weekends.  Loads of fun.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org