A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:06:20 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: White Flag  (Read 40977 times)
BKDotCom
City Father

« on: December 18, 2013, 10:11:49 pm »

Mini review.

I had the Salma Hayek it was very good.  
They make a big deal about made-in-town buns.   I thought the buns were quite tasty.  Sourdoughish.
The person I was with thought that for the price, the fries should be made in house (can't confirm whether they are or not)..  Regardless, they were a just-right curly cut.

My only critique / pointer is street presence.    There is zero indication from the street or sidewalk that there is a restaurant / burger-joint inside.
Hmm.. "White Flag" what is that?   The only way to know is to already know, or walk inside.
Is it a bar?  There are bars on both sides.  Is it a place that makes white flags?  Marketing firm?  who knows.
How about "White Flag Burgers"?  or put a burger icon on the flag logo or something.

What does this place sell?:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:15:15 pm by BKDotCom » Logged
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:58:56 pm »

Tried it out. Was like other BE places-cool concept that I'm very excited to try out spoiled by bad training of staff/management/service.  Angry Their sweet potato tots were good though. 

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:28:19 pm »

Tried it out. Was like other BE places-cool concept that I'm very excited to try out spoiled by bad training of staff/management/service.  Angry Their sweet potato tots were good though. 

How was your service experience?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:58:54 pm »

I've heard service isn't any better than it was when it was BA which was somewhere between inadequate and completely pathetic.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:41:42 am »

The burger I originally ordered was incorrect--he apologized and they remade it. That happens, no big deal. The remake was also incorrect (I'd asked for onions not to be cooked in it--they put a TON of onions on their burgers). I had no desire to send it back and by that time my boyfriend was done eating so we just got a box and took it home so he could eat it later. It wasn't very busy and everything still took a while to come out. We weren't in any hurry but on a busy night I'd be curious to see that improves.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 04:59:34 pm »

I tried it.  Food was good, B+.  Different than Fat Guys (White Flag seemed less greeezy), higher quality than most burgers downtown.  Price point was OK, not cheap but didn't give me pause... a couple in my grouped whine though for "just a burger."

I'm afraid service was lackluster.  Staff was OK, but it took far too long to get the food out (25+ minutes from when we walked in).  The comment was made that we could have walked to fat guys and back...

I will give it another shot, but BBQ and/or burgers should both be relatively fast.  I can't walk 10 minutes to lunch, wait 25, then walk 10 minutes back... leaving 15 to actually eat.  Hope they get it sorted.  It was a few weeks ago now.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TheAnsonia
Citizen

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 02:34:03 pm »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: N/A
Date/Time of Visit: Saturday night
Quality of Food (1-5): 4
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 4
Quality of Service (1-5): 3
Atmosphere (1-5): 3
Overall Rating (1-5): 4 
Price ($-$$$$$): $

What makes this restaurant unique: Style of burger patty and homemade buns

Tell us about your experience: We came in on Saturday night. When you walk down the long hallway from the Elgin entrance, you come up to an order window. For a burger experience, I far prefer this type of ordering as I find a waitstaff unnecessary for these types of establishments. The order window register area shared space with the bar area, so if you wish to have some brews with your burgers, you can sit at the bar or in the bar area and receive a little bit more waitstaff attention for your drinks. We ordered the Selma Hayek, Mile-High, and curly fries. I thought the Selma Hayek burger was really something special. Great combination of flavors. The base patty and homemade bun were also great. Perfect size - not too big, not too small. The fries were okay - would probably get onion rings next time as they are the same ones that Back Alley served. The Mile-High burger was good but not quite as good as the Selma Hayek. The pickle bar was a nice touch - we tried the spicy pickles and the bread and butter pickles.

My complaint with this space is similar to what it has always been - I find it to be a little too echo-y and loud for a primarily food-driven establishment. The staff was attentive, but the wait time for the burgers was still quite long (even by fresh burger cooking time). My burger came out significantly earlier than my husband's - something to do with the egg on the Mile-High apparently was to blame for the additional wait. I had finished half my burger before his came out (and I eat quite slow).

I would definitely return and, in terms of downtown burgers, would put this place right up there with Fat Guy's in my heart/stomach. (My #1 still rests with the Tavern burger, but that's a pretty different style of burger all together.)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 03:18:46 pm »

that's a pretty different style of burger all together.)

That's a pretty different style of burger...

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 02:42:49 pm »

I went to the White Flag today for a late lunch and walked in just after 1:00pm.

There were ten tables of people eating including one party of about ten people. Three people were in line ahead of me.

I ordered the basic double burger with cheese. It was $6.25. Burgers started as cheap as $4.25, but most of the specialty burgers were $7.95. I chose water because soft drinks were $2.25. I almost added a fried egg to the burger because it was only an extra dollar, but I am trying to keep my girlish figure.

The bun was great. They get them from the Pancho Anyaya bakery (in east Tulsa) which I have been in before to buy cakes, cookies, and breads. I love their fresh churros made in front of you...

I didn't order any sides, but they had a good selection of fried things. I will bring my kids in to try sweet potato tots. I saw someone else get the large order of curly fries for $2.95 and it was a lot of food.

The burger was good. it was a lightly formed patty with fried-in onions (that made the bottom of the bun hard to hold). There was a couple of slices of tomato and plenty of shredded lettuce.

I ordered my food at 1:06 pm and was served and finished eating at 1:34.

I sat at the bar and talked to a couple of wait staff. They refilled my water glass quickly and checked back with me a couple of times while I was waiting on my food.

Power is nothing till you use it.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 06:25:44 pm »

I noticed that they added a placard outside that essentially says "we sell hamburgers in here"... Perhaps someone noticed what I noticed:  the exterior has a complete lack of "this is a hamburger establishment" vibe.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 06:57:39 pm »

a) https://www.facebook.com/joshua.kline.167
b) http://blakeewing.tumblr.com/post/77928774699/fixing-our-smile-vs-going-away  (forum censors the URL... replace smile with "sh|t"

Good response by Blake
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 07:00:32 pm by BKDotCom » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 07:17:54 pm »

a) https://www.facebook.com/joshua.kline.167
b) http://blakeewing.tumblr.com/post/77928774699/fixing-our-smile-vs-going-away  (forum censors the URL... replace smile with "sh|t"

Good response by Blake

Actually, the site rewrites smile to the other without having to change it.   Smiley

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 11:12:02 pm »

Now the little stupid hipsters are complaining that Blake responded to a post that showed up on his businesses page.  LOL
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 11:02:47 am »

I’ve eaten at White Flag a few weeks ago and I enjoyed it.  My only complaint, and it is minor, is I figured the Selma Hayek would be a little spicier.  Service was fine, food was delivered quick.  The only reason I have not been back yet is I rarely eat burgers anymore, just not a part of my lifestyle.  I will return though.

Not sure where the posters on the FB post were saying it was a passive-aggressive rebuttal by Blake.  I thought it was a well-reasoned mea culpa.  It’s obvious: he knows he has problems, he cares, and he’s trying to improve it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 01:28:47 pm »

Whiteflag got tagged last night I think.

Related?
http://imgur.com/qUY5oNh.jpg
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org