A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:37:42 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cabela's near Tulsa Hills?  (Read 28423 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 10:29:03 pm »

Only once a week?  What a slacker.  Grin

sometimes more than once a day.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 02:34:03 am »

Whirlpool got a boon.  As did Kimberly Clark.

And during the Whirlpool "cattle calls", one of the first statements made to the groups of people was that they were NOT oil or airline, and there were not going to be high paying jobs.  Much closer to minimum wage than oil rig people.

A couple of friends were in those cattle calls and both had been laid off from Rockwell as they went away.  Both were offered (and took) jobs at Whirlpool going from about $14 an hour to about $6.50.  I'm betting the pay is better now, but certainly not keeping up with the rest of the economy - like the CEO pay for Whirlpool.

At that time, in what, 1996, that pay was pretty good, considering that the average entry level jobs were ~$5.00/hr, that's what I started out doing shipping and receiving, inventory work and piano delivery at Saied Music. Not to mention that Whirlpool and Kimberly Clark also offered a really good medical package. Kimberly Clark goes back to the mid '80s.

IIRC the big controversy over Whirlpool was not just the tax incentives, but the fact that the construction project went to an out of state company. Yes, local subcontractors were hired, but the bulk of the project was not in state.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:39:07 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 11:08:31 am »

At that time, in what, 1996, that pay was pretty good, considering that the average entry level jobs were ~$5.00/hr, that's what I started out doing shipping and receiving, inventory work and piano delivery at Saied Music. Not to mention that Whirlpool and Kimberly Clark also offered a really good medical package. Kimberly Clark goes back to the mid '80s.

$6.50 with benefits still sucks compared to $14 with benefits.  And that is the kind of loss we experienced when they came in - made even worse by the tax incentives.  Why pay big chunks of money to companies to come in and pay substandard wages?

Rather than obsessing about "jobs", why not focus on "good, high paying jobs".  Like the ones we have lost....  First we have to figure out why we lost those jobs and if there was anything Oklahoma and Tulsa could have done differently that would have kept them.  Not much in Rockwell's case.  But cutting spending for education, overburdening existing infrastructure with higher populations of lower paid workers, and actively discouraging business activity (turnpikes for one - especially when ALWAYS under construction) are not good ways to get companies to move here with good jobs.  Micron is a classic case - when they looked at OK and went elsewhere and said publicly and nationally that dealing with OK on a business basis was like dealing with a bunch of kindergarteners.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
EricGarcia
Activist

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2015, 06:58:08 pm »

Any news on if Cabela's is interested in Tulsa?  Their Oklahoma City location is opening soon.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2015, 08:04:44 pm »

Any news on if Cabela's is interested in Tulsa?  Their Oklahoma City location is opening soon.

I’d say REI’s announcement along with there being a Bass Pro as well as Gander Mtn, Dick’s, et. al. here, I’d be surprised if they felt Tulsa was a fertile market for them right now. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 09:21:05 pm »

I’d say REI’s announcement along with there being a Bass Pro as well as Gander Mtn, Dick’s, et. al. here, I’d be surprised if they felt Tulsa was a fertile market for them right now. 

Cabela's is a better and larger store than Gander Mountain, Gander is just a smaller discount Bass Pro where Gander cuts into both Bass Pro's and REI's markets. I would not be surprised if they kept REI out of Oklahoma City and that's why we got REI first.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2015, 03:27:55 pm »

Cabela's is a better and larger store than Gander Mountain, Gander is just a smaller discount Bass Pro where Gander cuts into both Bass Pro's and REI's markets. I would not be surprised if they kept REI out of Oklahoma City and that's why we got REI first.

Gander is a completely different concept.  Gander is a gun store.  20% of their wall space is dedicated to firearms.  They also buy and trade guns, something that the other stores say away from.  Because of that, they hire highly experienced firearms experts, including quite a few ex-law enforcement, and military.  You won't find that at a Cabela's or Bass Pro. 

Cabela's is strong in outdoor (thermal) hunting and fishing clothing (or at least they used to be).  I haven't been as thrilled with Cabela's name-brand quality over the past 10 years or so.  They used to be better when they were primarily catalog.  REI dominates the market for expedition gear now.

Bass Pro, is the Walmart of the outdoor outfitters.  They carry lots of cheap, but adequate products.  You don't go to Bass Pro if you are getting outfitted for an Alaskan fishing trip, a mountain climb, or a bear hunt.  You go there to get supplies for a fishing trip with your buddies where you intend to spend more on beer than gear.   

REI is the granola of outfitters. They cater to the serious hiker, camper, and rugged athletes.  They have excellent footwear, clothing and sturdy textile products for protection from the elements. They also have warranties on all of their products that others can't touch.  When you buy from REI, they take the position that your very survival is dependent on the performance of their products. You, of course, pay for this.  They are expensive but worth it if you intend to be more than a casual outdoorsperson.

I have been in cities where all of these stores exist in the same market and do quite well because they cater to very different sportspeople.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2015, 03:40:01 pm »

Gander is a completely different concept.  Gander is a gun store.  20% of their wall space is dedicated to firearms.  They also buy and trade guns, something that the other stores say away from.  Because of that, they hire highly experienced firearms experts, including quite a few ex-law enforcement, and military.  You won't find that at a Cabela's or Bass Pro. 

Cabela's is strong in outdoor (thermal) hunting and fishing clothing (or at least they used to be).  I haven't been as thrilled with Cabela's name-brand quality over the past 10 years or so.  They used to be better when they were primarily catalog.  REI dominates the market for expedition gear now.

Bass Pro, is the Walmart of the outdoor outfitters.  They carry lots of cheap, but adequate products.  You don't go to Bass Pro if you are getting outfitted for an Alaskan fishing trip, a mountain climb, or a bear hunt.  You go there to get supplies for a fishing trip with your buddies where you intend to spend more on beer than gear.   

REI is the granola of outfitters. They cater to the serious hiker, camper, and rugged athletes.  They have excellent footwear, clothing and sturdy textile products for protection from the elements. They also have warranties on all of their products that others can't touch.  When you buy from REI, they take the position that your very survival is dependent on the performance of their products. You, of course, pay for this.  They are expensive but worth it if you intend to be more than a casual outdoorsperson.

I have been in cities where all of these stores exist in the same market and do quite well because they cater to very different sportspeople.

I haven't shopped Gander for guns, but I did for a large two burner outdoor stove and their selection was pretty poor as was the build quality for what they did stock. It was a lot of the same stuff you see at Academy. Bass Pro has some decent camping gear, they aren't as good as REI but they are a lot better than Academy and have a better selection than Dicks.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2015, 08:07:54 am »

Went to my first Gander store in WI around 4th of July - had no idea they sold used guns, but was pleasantly surprised at their selection.  Not even close to some of the local pawnshops but not too bad.  Should be interesting.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
EricGarcia
Activist

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2015, 02:27:27 pm »

Anyone know what happened to a rumored cabelas in Tulsa? Has anyone heard if they still plan to come? They just opened their OKC store.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2015, 09:26:52 pm »

See the first post in this thread. Cabela's never had any plans for Tulsa. It was just a rumor that turned out to be Gander Mountain instead. They aren't coming anytime soon as the market is saturated with outdoor hobby stores, even if they are all slightly different.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2016, 09:40:54 am »

See the first post in this thread. Cabela's never had any plans for Tulsa. It was just a rumor that turned out to be Gander Mountain instead. They aren't coming anytime soon as the market is saturated with outdoor hobby stores, even if they are all slightly different.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bass-pro-shops-to-acquire-cabelas-2016-10

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2016, 08:27:47 pm »

So you think this might delay the rumored Cabelas?

Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org