A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:46:02 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cabela's near Tulsa Hills?  (Read 28428 times)
rdj
City Father

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 08:01:08 am »

Bad idea.

81st is too small and would require a new HW75 overpass to widen.

Union is narrower than some of the streets in my neighborhood, and was just recently redone by the city.

The residents are already freaking out at current congestion levels.

Maybe the city is agreeing to widen the road to accommodate the growth?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 08:26:17 am »

Maybe the city is agreeing to widen the road to accommodate the growth?

Then we would need to ask some hard questions on wasted road funds. Dewey has been all about "we do everything at once" on road projects.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 09:06:55 am »

Then we would need to ask some hard questions on wasted road funds. Dewey has been all about "we do everything at once" on road projects.

According to the Fix Our Streets website 81st between Union & Elwood was rehabbed at the cost of $900M with a Fall 2011 completion date as part of the 2005 package.  Union was rehabbed from 71st to 81st at the same time at a cost of $850M.

Is there a project in the area that isn't listed?

81st absolutely needs to be widened from at least Union all the way to Elwood.  In my opinion this is great for the city of Tulsa.  New sales tax growth within the city limits and a corridor with great access to downtown.  I know several people that love living in the neighborhood east of Tulsa Hills.  Great local amnesties in their back yard and they all frequent downtown.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 11:35:03 am »

S Memorial has more lanes than some area highways. They can hush.

Consider this an invitation to visit us in the early afternoon on a weekend or between about 4 PM and 6 PM weekdays.  I've been on vacation the last week and it pretty much stays busy all day.  3 lanes in each direction of pokie okies.

More lanes does not necessarily mean non-congestion.  Ask anyone from southern California.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 12:02:57 pm »

Remember when there was a big moment of excitement for Dick's Sporting goods?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 01:23:36 pm »

I wasn't here for that moment, but if that's the case then the excitement bar here must be far lower than I expected.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 01:36:57 pm »

I may be in the minority, but I like Dick's.

*Don't tell Phil Robertson.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 02:21:03 pm »

The only thing I have bought at Dick's was a pair of New Balance shoes.  They were more expensive than Academy.  Dick's price looked like list price but Academy discounts about 10% or a bit more.  Guess where I will go next time.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 02:36:09 pm »

*Don't tell Phil Robertson.

Well played.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 09:45:53 pm »

I wasn't here for that moment, but if that's the case then the excitement bar here must be far lower than I expected.

Goes to the frothing-at-the-mouth obsession we have with jobs, jobs, jobs just for the sake of low paying, minimum wage jobs.  They carry the same "weight" in the Oklahoma psyche as a good, high paying job would.  Regardless of the fact of it being a net loss for the economy in the area.

And we refuse to actually do what it takes to get the good, high paying jobs.  Education, roads, infrastructure, etc - all the things we go on about ad nauseum around here.

Paying any company $25 + million to bring in more minimum wage jobs is ridiculous.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 11:05:40 pm »

Paying any company $25 + million to bring in more minimum wage jobs is ridiculous.

Pretty sure you don't qualify for many subsidies if you pay minimum wage.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 09:11:27 am »

It seems, and I may be wrong, that we've handed out some handsome rewards to companies bring in call centers.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 03:59:49 pm »

Whirlpool got a boon.  As did Kimberly Clark.

And during the Whirlpool "cattle calls", one of the first statements made to the groups of people was that they were NOT oil or airline, and there were not going to be high paying jobs.  Much closer to minimum wage than oil rig people.

A couple of friends were in those cattle calls and both had been laid off from Rockwell as they went away.  Both were offered (and took) jobs at Whirlpool going from about $14 an hour to about $6.50.  I'm betting the pay is better now, but certainly not keeping up with the rest of the economy - like the CEO pay for Whirlpool.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:03:44 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 09:35:10 pm »

Consider this an invitation to visit us in the early afternoon on a weekend or between about 4 PM and 6 PM weekdays.  I've been on vacation the last week and it pretty much stays busy all day.  3 lanes in each direction of pokie okies.

More lanes does not necessarily mean non-congestion.  Ask anyone from southern California.

Do it every week.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 10:12:28 pm »

Do it every week.

Only once a week?  What a slacker.  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org