A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:05:32 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Drillers have a press conference to announce new sports venture  (Read 7356 times)
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« on: December 18, 2013, 09:32:29 am »

New sports venture to be announced Wednesday
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_b820e238-67c9-11e3-bd60-0019bb30f31a.html

The Tulsa Drillers have called a news conference for 1:30 p.m. Wednesday to announce a new sports venture for the city of Tulsa. Several local dignitaries are scheduled to speak. The press conference will be conducted in the Conference Center at ONEOK Field, 201 N. Elgin Ave.

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 10:07:20 am »

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:13:42 am »

Tulsa set to get USL Pro club as third-tier expansion continues to build steam
http://soccer.si.com/2013/12/18/mls-usl-pro-tulsa-nielsen-kansas-city-sacramento-oklahoma/

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 12:43:07 pm »

From my office view of ONEOK Field, they have a soccer field outlined in the stadium.  So I'm guessing they'll be playing games there?  The seasons look to overlap so I'm guessing there will have to be some detailed scheduling, but it'll mean that stadium will be very active over the spring, summer, and fall.  Pretty exciting if you ask me.
BoscoTJones
Citizen

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 01:48:54 pm »

That is very exciting.  Although I don't like the idea of playing soccer on a dirt infield. The schedule runs concurrent with the Texas League, from late March until September.  I don't see any way around the infield problem. I wish we had a real soccer stadium, although the location is terrific!
BoscoTJones
Citizen

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 02:16:23 pm »

Well, the Tulsa World article says they are going to sod the infield before each game.  Interesting.  They are taking $25 deposits per seat for season tickets already. http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportshomepage1/tulsa-granted-pro-soccer-franchise/article_5539a64e-681b-11e3-a266-001a4bcf6878.html
Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 04:54:19 pm »

Well, the Tulsa World article says they are going to sod the infield before each game.  Interesting.  They are taking $25 deposits per seat for season tickets already. http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportshomepage1/tulsa-granted-pro-soccer-franchise/article_5539a64e-681b-11e3-a266-001a4bcf6878.html

This can actually work quite well.  It did in my hometown of Rochester when the Rhinos soccer team successfully played in the new triple A baseball stadium before there was even a commitment to build the soccer specific stadium that they play in now.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 05:14:03 pm »

Lots of information on facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/tulsaprosoccer?ref=notif&notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite

Power is nothing till you use it.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 01:10:13 am »

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:50:01 am by TulsaRufnex » Logged

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 01:18:30 am »

Athletics nation- There will be an announcement today that in 2015 a group calling themselves the "Tulsa Roughnecks" will enter the picture in our town as a USL Pro team. I would like to make it clear where the Athletics stand on the matter. Firstly, the Roughnecks name is something that is very special to me personally. As a child I was one of many who was profoundly affected by the team coming to our city. Their presence here is the sole reason that I played soccer as a child, professionally, and is essentially the impetus to the forming of the Tulsa Athletics. Victor Moreland is like a father to me. I played for Steve Earle in my youth. I count Billy Caskey and Charlie Mitchell as friends. And like many, I've shared a cold beer with "the boomer" Alan Woodward. The Roughnecks name is sacred to me and to this city.

That being said...The Tulsa Athletics want to bring an MLS franchise to Tulsa. We've been clear about that from the beginning. We are your team. Your support affirms that the love for the game still runs strong through the veins of Tulsa and is the sole reason why we work as hard as we do for this club. Today's announcement as interesting as it may seem, does not actually affect the way we'll approach anything. We're still going continue to improve our stadium, grow our fan base, and put a fantastic product on the field. I am a Tulsan. A proud one at that. If a group from Oklahoma City thinks that Athletics Nation is going to lay down and quit, then they have read myself and Tulsans all wrong. We made a commitment to you to bring top level soccer to Tulsa, and we will carrying on doing that. Like a former Roughneck just told me on the telephone, "Just because they're called the Roughnecks, doesn't make them the Roughnecks".

Yours in soccer,
Sonny Dalesandro

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 08:35:29 am »

Ruf. I knew that this announcement was going to sting. I had not heard anything about the team being called the Roughnecks. Who owns the rights to that name?

saintnicster
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 09:45:27 am »

Athletics nation- There will be an announcement today that in 2015 a group calling themselves the "Tulsa Roughnecks" will enter the picture in our town as a USL Pro team. I would like to make it clear where the Athletics stand on the matter. Firstly, the Roughnecks name is something that is very special to me personally. As a child I was one of many who was profoundly affected by the team coming to our city. Their presence here is the sole reason that I played soccer as a child, professionally, and is essentially the impetus to the forming of the Tulsa Athletics. Victor Moreland is like a father to me. I played for Steve Earle in my youth. I count Billy Caskey and Charlie Mitchell as friends. And like many, I've shared a cold beer with "the boomer" Alan Woodward. The Roughnecks name is sacred to me and to this city.

That being said...The Tulsa Athletics want to bring an MLS franchise to Tulsa. We've been clear about that from the beginning. We are your team. Your support affirms that the love for the game still runs strong through the veins of Tulsa and is the sole reason why we work as hard as we do for this club. Today's announcement as interesting as it may seem, does not actually affect the way we'll approach anything. We're still going continue to improve our stadium, grow our fan base, and put a fantastic product on the field. I am a Tulsan. A proud one at that. If a group from Oklahoma City thinks that Athletics Nation is going to lay down and quit, then they have read myself and Tulsans all wrong. We made a commitment to you to bring top level soccer to Tulsa, and we will carrying on doing that. Like a former Roughneck just told me on the telephone, "Just because they're called the Roughnecks, doesn't make them the Roughnecks".

Yours in soccer,
Sonny Dalesandro

But the team doesn't have a name yet, so how can they be the Roughnecks?
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 10:33:03 am »

So have the soccer wars begun?  Are we gonna be asked to take sides?  Fans of each team gonna hate each other?  Doesn't seem real conducive to trying to attract the MLS.  Is the possibility of the new team being called the Roughnecks the major beef here?
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 10:58:43 am »

Uh Oh. Looks like we have opened up a can of Smoot!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 11:13:05 am »

Yours in soccer,
Sonny Dalesandro

GO SONNY!!!!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org