A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:24:33 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa's Transportation Model  (Read 20150 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« on: December 17, 2013, 08:32:46 am »

Will Tulsa face the same problems as Austin? We certainly have the same mindset and disdain for public transportation and love of our cars, highways and parking lots.

http://www.npr.org/2013/12/17/248757580/even-an-85-mph-highway-cant-fix-austins-traffic-tangle

Four decades ago, Austin, Texas, had a population of 250,000 and a reputation as a laid-back oasis of liberal politics and live music. Today, the Austin metro area is home to 1.8 million people and has some of the nation's worst traffic congestion.

For years, the city has done little to address the growing problem. But most in the Texas capital now agree something has to change if Austin is to save what's left of its quirky character.

"I used to feel like I could go anywhere in 12 minutes," says Amy Scofield, a successful artist who has lived and worked in Austin for more than 22 years. "And I still have that mentality, and now I'm late all the time. And I'm stressed out all the time because a 12-minute trip takes 25 at least."
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:46:18 am »

I was in Austin in March of ’09 and went back this last April. I was really shocked at how much worse the congestion had become in that short amount of time.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 03:30:06 pm »

While planning for and growing mass transit would have helped, a city that grows by a multiple of 7 over a few decades is going to have congestion problems.  And, yes, Ms. Scofield, that means it will take longer than 12 minutes to get from anywhere to anywhere no matter your mode of transportation.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 04:14:09 pm »

Will Tulsa face the same problems as Austin?

No, that's absurd.  Our growth rate is way too slow, almost non existent, to negative actually.  More likely to face something similar to Detroit the way we are going.  Actually, over the last 5 years Tulsa has lost more jobs, percentage wise than Detroit has. Meanwhile Austin has gained tremendously.       

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 02:11:55 pm »

Every city in Texas is booming and growing fast. I lived in the D/FW area back in the 1980's and I thought traffic was bad then, I-30 was always traffic choked, the Central Expressway was the pits,  today when I drive down to D/FW roads are really choked, each morning the I-820 loop at  I-35W connection in north Fort Worth is always backed up, sure they expanded and widened the roads, but more roads are still needed and wider roads are needed to keep up with the growth. Tulsa's city population is slugglish we are still under the 400,000 mark, the city of Omaha out grew Tulsa in the past decade with a population of over 400,000, however Tulsa's metro area is growing fast. Austin Texas is really booming they have many high tech industries attracting many people plus all the schools in the area. Maybe Tulsa  needs an idenity.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 05:11:02 pm »

Maybe we need a 4 year, residential, public university?  Austin would not have a shot at growing they way it has without UT there.  Don't we have a school of some kind near downtown.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 05:39:27 pm »

Maybe we need a 4 year, residential, public university?  Austin would not have a shot at growing they way it has without UT there.  Don't we have a school of some kind near downtown.....

Yes we do, but they wouldn't want to grow the university downtown because that would be a huge catalyst for increased growth in the city, and state, and make that university even more desirable and competitive, so instead the money is spent to grow the university in Stillwater instead which will not have nearly as large a positive impact on the city, state and university. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:41:25 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
davideinstein
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 02:06:57 pm »

Yes we do, but they wouldn't want to grow the university downtown because that would be a huge catalyst for increased growth in the city, and state, and make that university even more desirable and competitive, so instead the money is spent to grow the university in Stillwater instead which will not have nearly as large a positive impact on the city, state and university. 

Spot on.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 12:09:45 am »

I am hopeful that myopic way of thinking will eventually change and OSU realizes the benefits of having a thriving urban 4 year university, research center and hospital in downtown Tulsa in addition to the main campus in Stillwater.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 07:44:07 am »

I am hopeful that myopic way of thinking will eventually change and OSU realizes the benefits of having a thriving urban 4 year university, research center and hospital in downtown Tulsa in addition to the main campus in Stillwater.

I understand OSU's reticence to dilute their student body and programs.  The thing is that OSU Tulsa should have different programs to keep the campuses unique.  I propose a brewery science program like UC Davis.  1. It would attract people from out of state to the school so Tulsa and Stilly wouldn't be pulling from the same pool of people.  2. It would be a great feather our cap to have one of the few programs in the field.  3.  Imagine all of the brewers running around Tulsa.  We would have to change the drillers name.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 09:16:18 am »

I understand OSU's reticence to dilute their student body and programs.  The thing is that OSU Tulsa should have different programs to keep the campuses unique.  I propose a brewery science program like UC Davis.  1. It would attract people from out of state to the school so Tulsa and Stilly wouldn't be pulling from the same pool of people.  2. It would be a great feather our cap to have one of the few programs in the field.  3.  Imagine all of the brewers running around Tulsa.  We would have to change the drillers name.

Innovative course programs is a great idea.  What are some other less common programs aside from brewing science that would make sense as an attraction to out-of-state students?  OSU Tulsa could gain a reputation for having a wide selection of less common degree programs.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 10:43:17 am »

Renewable energy engineering.  A good buddy of mine got his undergrad in ME at OSU but had to go to Lubbock to study wind turbine design for his masters.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 10:54:19 am »

I understand OSU's reticence to dilute their student body and programs.  The thing is that OSU Tulsa should have different programs to keep the campuses unique.  I propose a brewery science program like UC Davis.

The special interests would smoot all over that.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 01:19:03 pm »

The special interests would smoot all over that.
It would be interesting to see the arguments against.  It wouldn't have anything to do with cutting into Jarbo's business.  As long as we kissed his ring (hell endow a chair in his name) the only people left would be fundies.  I don't think they would win on this.  Then again, never underestimate Okies' ability to trash a good idea.

Snowman
Citizen

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 05:57:25 am »

Will Tulsa face the same problems as Austin? We certainly have the same mindset and disdain for public transportation and love of our cars, highways and parking lots.

http://www.npr.org/2013/12/17/248757580/even-an-85-mph-highway-cant-fix-austins-traffic-tangle

Four decades ago, Austin, Texas, had a population of 250,000 and a reputation as a laid-back oasis of liberal politics and live music. Today, the Austin metro area is home to 1.8 million people and has some of the nation's worst traffic congestion.

For years, the city has done little to address the growing problem. But most in the Texas capital now agree something has to change if Austin is to save what's left of its quirky character.

"I used to feel like I could go anywhere in 12 minutes," says Amy Scofield, a successful artist who has lived and worked in Austin for more than 22 years. "And I still have that mentality, and now I'm late all the time. And I'm stressed out all the time because a 12-minute trip takes 25 at least."

Tulsa's network of highways was better arranged than Austin's to begin with, though they are in the process of fixing some of the issues, building your way out of congestion rarely works (especially at the rate they are growing). Though one benefit though is it is somewhat useful to those who want development of walk-able neighborhoods downtown or adjacent to it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org