A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:44:21 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They are ABLE!  (Read 76800 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2014, 10:47:44 am »

We need to create that attitude in our society and have that personal and social responsibility brought back and taught. It starts with you and me just saying something. "Hey buddy, you have had enough to drink, any more and you will hurt your health. I am your friend and I care about you."

In civilized countries, a single glass of wine with your meal is simply a part of the meal, and a bottle should be good for several meals.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2014, 01:20:50 pm »

Nah, just an amateur.

How so?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2014, 01:37:20 pm »

It starts with you and me just saying something. "Hey buddy, you have had enough to drink, any more and you will hurt your health. I am your friend and I care about you."

Don't judge me!
Not only are we not taught to take responsibility for ourselves, but we're taught to not take an interest in others lest you offend them or others.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2014, 02:52:13 pm »

How so?

That’s what us professional drunks call lightweights.  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2014, 10:00:46 am »

Nah, just an amateur.

No doubt. My wife weighs 115 and can drink more than that and still function. She's not even a regular drinker and only cuts loose on occasion, but when she does she can certainly hold her alcohol better than that guy.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2014, 01:38:32 pm »

No doubt. My wife weighs 115 and can drink more than that and still function. She's not even a regular drinker and only cuts loose on occasion, but when she does she can certainly hold her alcohol better than that guy.

The The Oklahoma Highway Safety office has budgeted $77,000 to destroy St. Patrick's Day tourism   keep people safe, by setting up a "command post" in the Blue Dome district and paying overtime to those that can meet the arrest goals.

Maybe if the Oklahoma Highway Safety office were to look at crumbling bridges instead...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TeeDub
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2014, 05:48:51 pm »

The The Oklahoma Highway Safety office has budgeted $77,000 to destroy St. Patrick's Day tourism   keep people safe, by setting up a "command post" in the Blue Dome district and paying overtime to those that can meet the arrest goals.

Maybe you should be appreciative that you haven't lost anyone to a drunk driver.   Ask the crowd at SXSW that got plowed into how they feel about drunks.   Fuckwit.

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2014, 07:13:16 pm »

Maybe you should be appreciative that you haven't lost anyone to a drunk driver.   Ask the crowd at SXSW that got plowed into how they feel about drunks.   Fuckwit.

SXSW? This?

SXSW car crash: Another case of police high-speed pursuit gone awry?
Austin police pursued Rashad Charjuan Owens after he avoided a police traffic stop. Owens soon crashed into a crowd of people at the South by South West festival, killing two and injuring 23. Should the police have pursued Owens?
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2014/0315/SXSW-car-crash-Another-case-of-police-high-speed-pursuit-gone-awry-video
The city of Austin already faces a $1 million wrongful-death lawsuit filed earlier this month by the widow of a man killed when a suspect pursued by police crashed into the car driven by her husband.

AUSTIN — Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said Thursday that officials will review the department's pursuit policy after a man he said was fleeing an officer plowed through a crowd of people who were on a street that was blocked off to traffic for South by Southwest.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2014, 08:17:01 pm »

As long as the goal is to prevent drunks driving and not just to generate revenue and meet arrest quotas, it's money well spent.

TeeDub
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2014, 06:37:41 am »

SXSW? This?

Yup...  And don't let that article fool you (from later in the article)  "Other observers have noted that in this SXSW case its unlikely that either the police or the driver reached excessive speeds."

Rashad Charjuan Owens allegedly tore through the crowd while drunk, running over people and hitting other cars. At least 23 others were injured.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 06:41:29 am by TeeDub » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2014, 11:38:44 am »

As long as the goal is to prevent drunks driving and not just to generate revenue and meet arrest quotas, it's money well spent.

Winner.
It's too bad DUI became more of an industry than a public safety crisis, but then, that might be what got the funding flowing.

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2014, 09:39:58 pm »

Smoot made it clear that someone who is "causing a problem" and is drinking in a bar can be arrested for public intox. No breathalyzer, no testing, just the officers opinion. In a time of increasing intolerance for nonconformity, that is a fine line imo and one that concerns me.

Only made worse when people who shape public opinion believe that self-serving handouts and ride-alongs are hard-hitting news:
http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/ABLE-Commission-keeps-Tulsa-safe-this-St-Patrick/xRsJ-1NcmUmDs0oBfSD6MQ.cspx
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2014, 09:41:42 am »

Loved the vest Smoot was wearing when interviewed last night with the “police” badge screen printed on the front. Anyone know if he carries the cap gun and tin handcuffs that came with it?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2014, 11:41:28 am »

http://www.newson6.com/category/121535/video-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9956957
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2014, 11:51:40 am »

You got your 1.5 seconds of fame...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org