A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:10:38 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They are ABLE!  (Read 76807 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 02:35:36 am »

Something you won't be ABLE to get because Oklahoma is Smooted:

http://growlerkingbeer.com/

http://growlerkingbeer.com/tap-list-growlers-medford-oregon.php
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2013, 12:44:28 pm »

Speaking of, guess what goatee is taking credit for bringing taxis to entertainment districts? (only to be crushed by Josh Royal's powerful beard)?

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/New-taxi-parking-zones-in-Tulsa-hot-spots/TEmUIfC1YUOaAv8f3F8QyQ.cspx

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2013, 02:19:18 pm »

They may be able, but are they willing? That is the big question! Smiley

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 04:11:53 pm »

I never have a problem parking the commercial unit I drive around bars in Brookside, Cherry, or downtown. There are loading zones that are suitable for double parking if you are a commercial vehicle and downtown even has marked off areas in the middle of some streets for commercial units. The trolley uses them too.

I think it was a grab at attention by Smoot, an easy out for the bars and a freebie for the cabs. The cab companies are all over downtown during the late evening hours and park anywhere they want. They have no problem picking up fares. One group I carried got irritated that we wouldn't keep going past contracted time. A cab was there in less than 5 minutes.

onward...through the fog
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 04:21:37 am »

Regardless of the credit for getting Taxi Stands in the entertainment districts, I am curious as to how many cabbies there are in Tulsa, and how many would be willing to line up at the cab stands. If they are contract workers, when they sit they are not making any money, and are more likely to roam. Unless they charge a premium flag drop, like the ones at the airport (and yes those guys pay a premium for being an airport cabbie, the last time I took one from TIA to my house two miles away in the mid 90's and the flag drop was $25.00)

It would be interesting to hear a cabbies perspective.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 11:41:39 am »

Regardless of the credit for getting Taxi Stands in the entertainment districts, I am curious as to how many cabbies there are in Tulsa, and how many would be willing to line up at the cab stands. If they are contract workers, when they sit they are not making any money, and are more likely to roam. Unless they charge a premium flag drop, like the ones at the airport (and yes those guys pay a premium for being an airport cabbie, the last time I took one from TIA to my house two miles away in the mid 90's and the flag drop was $25.00)

It would be interesting to hear a cabbies perspective.

That sounds worth pursuing.  If people come to associate the "Taxi Parking Only" spots as tourist-gouging rather than the "we're saving lives" soundbite doublespeak...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 01:12:51 pm »

There are always cabs lined up on 2nd street just east of Boulder waiting for people at the Hyatt north entrance. They seem to be doing a brisk business.

Power is nothing till you use it.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2013, 01:55:28 am »

There are always cabs lined up on 2nd street just east of Boulder waiting for people at the Hyatt north entrance. They seem to be doing a brisk business.

From my experience, the cabbies at hotels, entertainment districts and say downtown locations usually don't have a minimum flag drop charge, it's usually at airports, and as I understand it, it's because they pay a "privilege fee" to the airport authority to have that access. The one I referenced that I took from TIA was not a typical Yellow/Checker cab, but it had the same rate schedule on the door, but it and the regular cab's had a notice in addition to that schedule that there was an "Additional Airport Fee of $25.00" on top of the regular fee schedule. (20/20 hindsight, I should have just jumped on the Thrifty Rent A Car shuttle that went to the Pine & Memorial location which was ~300 yards from my front door.)

With the new Best Western going in down town, and the growth downtown, it could prove profitable for the cabbies, and better for the locals for cab service, unless you get Smooted because the cabbie goes through a DUI Checkpoint and has a warrant, and you get nailed for "public drunk" because you are now on foot after losing your cab ride. (just the cynic in me)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2013, 10:40:30 am »

(only to be crushed by Josh Royal's powerful beard)?

His beard became sentient last May.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 01:51:33 pm »

The notion that there's no parking for taxis is freaking ridiculous.

Nobody's giving out parking tickets at 1am. There are always a ton of semi-legal places for them to park. The problem isn't a lack of parking. It's the lack of taxis in general, Tulsa being a city where driving yourself is the only real option to get places when you're not drinking.

And what the eff does Smoot have to do with that story? Is there a new law that he be quoted in every story involving alcohol even if it doesn't really involve him or his department?

TheTed
City Father

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 01:55:50 pm »

http://growlerkingbeer.com/tap-list-growlers-medford-oregon.php
Love me some growlers! I have three as of now, all the sweet flip-top kind that stay good for weeks unopened.

Some cities/states just fill them and send you on your way. Some require them to be "sealed" (and in a very flimsy manner). I'm always amused when they apply a sticker across the lid or put a plastic ring around the top and heat-shrink it on there with a hair dryer to make it legally sealed.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 02:03:17 pm »

Love me some growlers! I have three as of now, all the sweet flip-top kind that stay good for weeks unopened.

Some cities/states just fill them and send you on your way. Some require them to be "sealed" (and in a very flimsy manner). I'm always amused when they apply a sticker across the lid or put a plastic ring around the top and heat-shrink it on there with a hair dryer to make it legally sealed.

How Smooty...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 04:04:10 pm »

The notion that there's no parking for taxis is freaking ridiculous.

Nobody's giving out parking tickets at 1am. There are always a ton of semi-legal places for them to park. The problem isn't a lack of parking. It's the lack of taxis in general, Tulsa being a city where driving yourself is the only real option to get places when you're not drinking.

And what the eff does Smoot have to do with that story? Is there a new law that he be quoted in every story involving alcohol even if it doesn't really involve him or his department?

Those of us actually working downtown at those hours know your remarks to be true. It was a pr act for Smoot and a gimme for the cabs. No doubt limos and party buses are on their own finding pu and drop off spots. And they will find them.

onward...through the fog
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2013, 11:49:04 pm »

Look how thrilled these folks are that ABLE is protecting them:

http://www.fox23.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=4855266

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2014, 12:39:45 am »

Look how thrilled these folks are that ABLE is protecting them:

http://www.fox23.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=4855266

It's a SmootStorm!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org