A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:49 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They are ABLE!  (Read 76787 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 10:12:25 am »

Or maybe Walking While intoxicated. Make it similar to driving.

Either way, if it would be a money maker, we would already have it on the books.

Wait. Are you guys saying that the drunk buses, limo's, cabs and bar provided transportation, can be stopped for public drunk? Either as they enter/exit the vehicle or as they ride? It sounds like the officers have plenty of discretion. That would imply that the drivers also are at risk since they aided and abetted.

onward...through the fog
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 11:41:05 am »

Wait. Are you guys saying that the drunk buses, limo's, cabs and bar provided transportation, can be stopped for public drunk? Either as they enter/exit the vehicle or as they ride? It sounds like the officers have plenty of discretion. That would imply that the drivers also are at risk since they aided and abetted.

I used to work for Larry Schaeffer when he still had the Cains, and recall the story where TPD stopped the cab taking him home to arrest him for public drunk.

Red Arrow's citation pretty much summed it up: "there is no set BAC standard, and there is no scientific or objective measurement involved with what leads to a charge of DWI in Oklahoma" which is also true of "Public Intoxication."  It's a matter of  "I'm a trained professional and I say you are public drunk" where the Smoots are in charge of the training.

In some places it's even legal to lure someone out of their home for the purpose of arresting them for public drunk:  http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2013/11/fullerton_police.php

Tipsy Tow is still a good thing, as are designated drivers, but if you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time you could still get vacuumed up.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 11:41:40 am »

You can get a public intox and not be under the influence of anything......

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 12:07:51 pm »

How bout "don't get drunk" in the first place?  Study after study shows that drinking in moderation can be a part of a healthy lifestyle, and binge drinking/over drinking is really really bad for your health.  In an ideal world this wouldn't be regulated by law, but by society and culture.  Kind of like poor eating habits/over eating which kills more people in Oklahoma than alcohol.  Course here we can't seem to manage that either.

One of the cornerstones of Sociology is that "All human behaviors are learned."  Its interesting to stand back and look at what is learned here, how we teach it, and how it contrasts to other societies around the world and through time.  A woman doesn't have to be completely covered up here without worrying that every man around here will suddenly be whipped into a sexual frenzy if she shows here ankles and face, or that she is "asking to be raped" or deserves it if she does.  But mention alcohol and often the immediate association isn't most often associated with say, having a glass of wine with a meal, but with getting drunk at a club or party.  We have created a society that manages some things quite well, and others very poorly.  All you have to do is listen to how people talk about drinking here to see how we are where we are,,, and also see how all it would take is a change in attitudes to change our lives and outcomes.  We don't accept jokes about women being sexually harassed or even raped, we also shouldn't laugh at people getting drunk or accept jokes about it, as one for instance.  You listen to people complain about ABLE laws on the one hand, then turn right around and say or do something that actually helps create the situation/culture/society where it's understandable that others might feel there is a need for those laws, or at least does nothing to create a situation whereby the laws would seem less necessary.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 12:27:50 pm »

How bout "don't get drunk" in the first place?  

Good idea.  (Not being sarcastic.)

Please define "drunk".

Rightly so, "Buzzed" driving is "drunk" driving.  Define "buzzed".  And so on.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 12:34:28 pm »

Artist, we're not talking about actually being intoxicated. We're talking about capricious arrest for public intox or DUI based on an authority's assessment, not by science, and for purposes other than public safety. That leaves the door open for abuse and unintended consequences. For instance if I take a cab and am arrested for public intox because the officer thinks he sees a bottle of beer in my hand in the back seat, then the word gets around that cabs are not a solution but a potential trap. So, you drive your car where you think you have a better chance. Same thing with limos and party buses. The result will be more drunks driving all night rather than at hotels or dropped to their homes.

Yes, drinking is a problem in America. So are drugs, rape, immorality, intolerance and my new favorite word, "affluenza". But rather than convince a species whose history is one of succumbing to dangerous desires and making stupid mistakes to view alcohol as an adult beverage served with dinner and friends in a home setting, wouldn't it be easier to manage such behavior while educating the spiritually weak species?

onward...through the fog
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 01:03:11 pm »

I really hate this state sometimes.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 01:06:44 pm »

At least we're not Texas, Kansas or Missouri. Or Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi. But the list is getting shorter all the time. Smiley

onward...through the fog
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 02:16:03 pm »

At least we're not Texas, Kansas or Missouri. Or Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi. But the list is getting shorter all the time. Smiley

At least MO allows you to openly have a drink in an Entertainment District...   something ABLE protects us from.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 02:27:55 pm »

At least MO allows you to openly have a drink in an Entertainment District...   something ABLE protects us from.

You can drink during festivals in entertainment districts, i.e. Mayfest and BDAF.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 02:44:46 pm »

You can drink during festivals in entertainment districts, i.e. Mayfest and BDAF.

Any adult beverage or just 3.2 beer?

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 03:18:18 pm »

Camelback full of vodka.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 04:29:31 pm »

The roads must be closed off.  Is that the one step to be made?  If the roads are closed off, you can drink in the streets?  Does there need to be a paid for police presence?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 04:31:40 pm »

Any adult beverage or just 3.2 beer?

They sell Marshall’s and other higher ABV brews, but I don’t believe you can walk around with a cocktail.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 04:33:29 pm »

The roads must be closed off.  Is that the one step to be made?  If the roads are closed off, you can drink in the streets?  Does there need to be a paid for police presence?

I organized “Rock The Block” about 20 years ago down at 18th & Boston for the Jaycees. As I recall, that was a condition of getting the permit for the event.  I believe that would have been required even if we weren’t selling beer.

Even if police presence wasn’t a requirement for a permit, I’d still do it if the event was providing beer.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org