A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:25:00 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DECOPOLIS "Downtown Books"  (Read 6303 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: December 14, 2013, 09:40:59 am »

Today we are having the third book signing of the month at DECOPOLIS "Downtown Books".  Between the hours of 3:30 and 6, just before the Tulsa Parade of Lights, Colleen McCarty will be signing her latest book "Mounting the Whale"  webcal://www.facebook.com/ical/u.php?uid=1004373185&key=AQALPurp3DNHE5mb    

Next Friday we will be having Don Wagoner signing his new "Tulsa Art Deco Top 10!" book.

If you have not been into DECOPOLIS for a while, and you're a book lover, you will be in for a treat as we have made good progress on our effort to become your "Downtown Books" store.   We have wonderful coffee table and gift books that you will not find at the local big box stores.  We also have a large collection of Childrens Classics (including the ever popular Golden Books), Adult classics in paperback and beautiful hardcover editions, a great collection of books on Art and Architecture focusing on items of local interest including Mod/Mid Century Design, Art Deco of course, Craftsman/Bungalow, Classic Cars, and the Airline Industry.  And we have a nice collection of Cook Books and Cocktail/Entertaining books in our "ATOMIC KITCHEN" section. Aaand we have some fun books in "THE STAG, Men's Store" area for the gent's in your life

"The Stag, Mens Store" idea came to us while doing some research into local retail stores in Art Deco buildings.  We discovered an old photo of the Brook Theater that if you zoomed in on and did a little computer enhancing, you could see that it once had a store called "The Stag".  We thought that was the perfect name to add to the men's section in our store.

So come on by and check out "The Shops of the Deco City, the DECOPOLIS" including DECOPOLIS Downtown Books!

http://www.decopolisstudios.com/downtown-books.html

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 08:46:48 am »

I love your store, William. I will probably be back for more Christmas presents this week!
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 01:57:32 pm »

I just visited the store.

Let it be known that William has created the best gift shop in town.   He's left Snow Goose in the dust.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:37:54 pm »

Wow, high praise.  Thank you!   And of course, you ain't seen nothin yet.   We will keep making it better and better.

On the book thing again… We are adding yet another book signing to our lineup.  This Saturday from 1-3  we will be hosting local author Catherine Zoller and her "Rhyme and Reason Series" of wonderfully illustrated, Christian Childrens story books. 

http://www.catherinezoller.com/store

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 05:43:40 pm »

Almost forgot.

Bigfoot fan?
If so we have a treat for you, or at least for the little Bigfoot fans in your family. Tonight from 6-8 we will be having local author and illustrator Mitchell Cookson signing his new children's book "My Friend Lil' Foot, in, The Christmas Surprise". A heartwarming story about how Bigfoot and his little son "Lil' Foot" bring the joy and meaning of Christmas to a child in need.

Get one today or let us know if you would like us to reserve a signed copy for you!

www.mitchellcookson.com

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 06:07:59 pm »

Almost forgot.
Bigfoot fan?

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, yes.

Cheesy

Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 06:34:54 pm »

After reading the posts, I visited Decopolis yesterday and came out with several great gifts.  So far, the best, most unique, gift shop I've been to this season.  I'll be returning to (hopefully) finish off my shopping tomorrow.

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 04:46:51 pm »

Well done, William.  I love your store.  The only problem was making a choice from all the great stuff you have.  I talked you up big to my coworkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 11:08:22 am »

I was in Saturday afternoon, great store with very unique selections which aided my shopping greatly!

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
onehandoneheart
Citizen

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 12:29:53 pm »

I don't post very much on this forum but I just had to log on to say something about Decopolis.

I was downtown getting my haircut at a salon in the Philtower building last Saturday and made it a point to stop in and check out William's store. It is fantastic! All the deco, retro, and Mid-Century Modern items, plus the Tiki stuff--it's all soooo cool. It's truly a unique shop and all the merchandise, displays, paintings and music create this wonderful atmosphere that it makes so fun to shop--I spent 45 minutes looking at everything. I ended up buying a very cool book and some birthday cards.

This is the best gift shop I've been to in Tulsa.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 12:50:45 pm »

I dropped in after lunch at LaSalle’s last week and the selection has really expanded.  Very well laid out too.  Great job, William!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 01:21:47 pm »

I don't post very much on this forum but I just had to log on to say something about Decopolis.

I was downtown getting my haircut at a salon in the Philtower building last Saturday and made it a point to stop in and check out William's store. It is fantastic! All the deco, retro, and Mid-Century Modern items, plus the Tiki stuff--it's all soooo cool. It's truly a unique shop and all the merchandise, displays, paintings and music create this wonderful atmosphere that it makes so fun to shop--I spent 45 minutes looking at everything. I ended up buying a very cool book and some birthday cards.

This is the best gift shop I've been to in Tulsa.

I second the motion.... it's just a lot of fun to walk around and look at stuff!

Well, maybe buy something, too...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 06:23:07 pm »

Thanks All!   And we will keep on working to make the shop ever more interesting and entertaining.  Oh and full of neat stuff to buy too.

Speaking of… We are going to start doing Second Saturday Parties in the Deco District, getting the other shops, restaurants, etc. to band together and coordinate on a party each month.

Augusts Second Saturday party is going to be a Tulsa Tiki Party.  (going to try and see if we can start a petition and have the second Saturday in August officially be Tulsa Tiki Day, see if we can get Blake to present it to the council or mayor or whatever we need to do)  Anywhoo we just want to have a fun party at the shop that day and will invite everyone to wear a tiki themed shirt or outfit and whoever does will get a discount.  We will have free drinks and Fondu snacks, play some fun music and whatever else we can come up with.  This is our first second Saturday event and haven't had a lot of time to prepare and plan, but hey a party is a party and everyone is invited and of course visit the other shops and restaurants in our area who will also be having specials and such.

In September I want to have our district do a book themed party.  I want to invite local authors, publishers, and illustrators, or those wanting to be, to our shops to mix and mingle, and perhaps make some useful contacts, share what they have learned, do some book signings, perhaps some readings, etc..  We will encourage people to drop off children's books to be donated, and whatever other ideas we can think of to make the event interesting, build awareness of the local talent and offerings, and hopefully do something positive for book lovers and creators alike.  One of the people on the TN board has a small publishing company started downtown that I just learned about.  Also discovered an incredibly skilled illustrator while book shopping in Dallas, that is from Tulsa. Still working on other ideas with this event too, but I think this one has potential to go in a lot of interesting directions.

October will be a Halloween themed party.  November we will have an Ugly Sweater party.  And of course Christmas will be about promoting shopping downtown.

If any of you have any suggestions for these events shoot them out to me.  We will begin promoting them hopefully this coming week.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:25:20 pm by TheArtist » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org