A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:27:53 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State capitol religious monuments  (Read 35834 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2014, 08:01:57 am »

Isn't the first Commandment to only workshop the one Jewish God (later revised to include Jesus as then primary God, then God the father, and also a Ghost)?  How is that compatible with secular law?  How is that someone of another faith can follow as an example?

The "10 Commandments are our laws" argument utterly fails at #1.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2014, 09:37:03 am »

We are a Christian nation and we were founded that way
Wrong

so it follows that a monument to the Christian faith is right in line with our history and the growth of our nation. There is nothing historic or in our past to support a satan monument, most likely that movement  it's being done just for spite and for the hate of Christians.
I was under the impression that the 10-commandments monument was done to spite all non Christians

Yes to the 10 comandments (10 good rules to follow even if your not a Christian) and a big "NO" to anything else Smiley
1)  doesn't apply to non Christians / implies there are other gods / no matching law
2)  doesn't apply to non Christians / farcical (who does this?) / no matching law
3)  doesn't apply to non Christians / every Christian breaks this one / no matching law
4)  doesn't apply to non Christians / seems to only apply to Chick-Fil-A & Hobby Lobby / no matching law
5)  Honor your parents / no matching law
6)  Don't Kill People / We have a winner!
7)  Adultery / there's a law for that
8)  Don't take what's not yours / there's a law for that
9)  Prejury / there's a law for that
10) thought crimes / no law... greed drives the economy

So, of the 10 commandments, 4 match up with laws.
Conspicuously absent from the commandments: "Thow shall not enslave your fellow humans "

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz3EEqtcJME&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL7420408E36541DA4[/youtube]
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2014, 12:36:52 pm »

Wrong
I was under the impression that the 10-commandments monument was done to spite all non Christians
1)  doesn't apply to non Christians / implies there are other gods / no matching law
2)  doesn't apply to non Christians / farcical (who does this?) / no matching law
3)  doesn't apply to non Christians / every Christian breaks this one / no matching law
4)  doesn't apply to non Christians / seems to only apply to Chick-Fil-A & Hobby Lobby / no matching law
5)  Honor your parents / no matching law
6)  Don't Kill People / We have a winner!
7)  Adultery / there's a law for that
8)  Don't take what's not yours / there's a law for that
9)  Prejury / there's a law for that
10) thought crimes / no law... greed drives the economy

So, of the 10 commandments, 4 match up with laws.
Conspicuously absent from the commandments: "Thow shall not enslave your fellow humans "

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz3EEqtcJME&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL7420408E36541DA4[/youtube]
Wait, there is a law against adultery? Why is Fallin not in jail then?  Anyhow, on to further expand onto your points.

(sauerkraut)
Christian nation? If you mean we are a nation that is a majority Christian, then yeah. If you mean we are a nation founded on Christian principles and built around Christianity as a governmental focus, then I would strongly pick up a history book next time you are at the library. Or, take a moment to at least Google the treaty of thermopylae, which specifically states that we are not a Christian nation. so no, it does not follow that a monument of Christian faith is right in line with our history and the growth of our nation. As far as the Satanic monument, we tried to warn you folks that if you allow one religious monument you had to allow them all. At the time it seemed everyone that was for the 10 commandments was all like "oh, that's okay, it won't bother me one bit." Guess that tune has changed now that it's more than just lip service. No, I would not say that the Satanic monument (or the flood of other requests that have started pouring in) is in spite of and for the hate of Christians, but that it is a statement about the constitutionality of the placement of the 10 commandments and a great way to get the attention of those who thought that allowing their religion to be endorsed was okay.

and the 10 commandments being good rules to follow even if your not a Christian can only be said if you really don't know the 10 commandments, so let's go through them, more thoroughly than BKdotcom did.

I Thou shalt not have any other gods before me Hmmm. let's see here. This one says that you can only have the Judeo god as your god, which pretty much means you can't be anything other than Christian, Jewish, or Islamic. Yeah, great rule for non-Christians, particularly those of other religious trees, or those of us that think all of them are just as mythical as Zeus. Oh, and if we were to have a law that stated this (you know, because it is a basis of our country according to you) it would be in direct violation of the constitution.

II Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven images Well, we have this one all over the place, even the Christians love to break this one. Furthermore, it would pretty much forbid followers of other faiths from having representations of their gods. Also, violates the first amendment on two accounts.

III Thou shalt not take the name of the lord thy God in vain Well, if you don't believe in Yaweh, and you use the name, you are using it in vain. So if you are not Christian (or other Judeo persuasion), this pretty much says you are forbidden from saying a name. Which also goes against the constitution on two accounts.

IV Remember the Sabbeth day to keep it holy Because all non-Christians should have to respect the holy day of the Christians? Do you respect the holy days of other religions? Why should we atheists have to change our Sunday to supposedly make it holy if we don't buy into your myth?

V Honor thy father and thy mother that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee in general, honoring your mother and father is a good idea, but not always. There are a lot of people who have no business being parents, and the child can do to get away from them and their influence the better. In fact, there are situations where honoring one's parents can either make your life crappy, or, in direct conflict with this one, shorten their lives. Also it implies that the Judeo/Christian god is the one that gives you what you have, which endorses that particular religious branch, once again violating the constitution.

VI Thou shalt not kill Hey, finally, a great suggestion for everyone. Too bad the ones who want this monument the most tend to be the ones who want to follow this commandment the least. In related news, did you watch the execution that was done here in Oklahoma recently? Also, this is a law, to some degree or another, in pretty much every civilization ever, so apparently it doesn't need a big monument for us to figure that out as a society.

VII Thou shalt not commit adultery oh, that is a big can of worms, but let us ignore the hypocrisy of this one for a moment. Let's say someone is not of your particular religious persuasion, and they are married, and the couple decide they want to have some extramarital fun. Oh, sure, this bothers you, because, you know, you don't get any period and you think those that get more than their share just isn't right (okay, so I'm guessing at your motivations here, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was dead on), but should they really have to follow this rule just because you don't like it? You can claim that it will cause problems in their marriage, but there is no evidence that it is any more harmful to a relationship than being a prick, and there certainly isn't any law against that. To broaden your understanding of ideas bigger than your own, take a moment to look up polyamory. There are some great articles and stories on the subject.

VIII Thou shalt not steal for simplicity sake, I'll refer back to the kill commandment, because everything I would say about this one is pretty much the same.

IX Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor . Once again, pretty much the same as the steal and kill one, except the only laws against this are in specific cases just as perjury, obstructing justice, liable, and slander.

X Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservent, nor his maidservent, nor his castle, nor anything that is thy neighbors So no more trying to keep up with the Jones? Wow, this one is really going to put a damper on the whole capitalism thing we have going on here.

So yeah, your arguments are worthless, but then, I shouldn't be surprised on that.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2014, 01:31:36 pm »

Whomever wrote "thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife" ain't seen her.

She is smoking.

Power is nothing till you use it.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2014, 01:50:21 pm »

Whomever wrote "thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife" ain't seen her.

She is smoking.

Sounds like lots of drama on 56th St.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2014, 12:32:15 pm »

Colbert interviews Satan:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage4/the-colbert-report-features-proposed-oklahoma-capitol-satanic-statue/article_9751f070-e946-598c-9970-9b03f01cf5d7.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2014, 09:54:15 am »

Oklahoma state Capitol's Ten Commandments monument smashed to pieces

Maybe there is a God, and she was pissed?
Under the moratorium, I dont believe they can put it back up, so it's a level playing field now.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage1/oklahoma-state-capitol-s-ten-commandments-monument-smashed-to-pieces/article_6f24b2e8-b904-5e9d-90ff-e34e0b778ed3.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2014, 09:55:30 am »

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=13409.msg291792#msg291792

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2014, 09:56:39 am »

Drat, beat me to it.  You must type faster than I...

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2014, 10:02:28 am »

Drat, beat me to it.  You must type faster than I...

Nope, I got the article about 40 minutes ago.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2014, 10:03:42 am »

Nope, I got the article about 40 minutes ago.

Sometimes   I  type  re al   s   l         o                                   w

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2014, 10:32:59 am »

Drunk cheerleader from Nichols Hills or Edmond?
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2014, 12:09:07 pm »

Drunk cheerleader from Nichols Hills or Edmond?

The Secret Service tells FOX 25 they arrested the suspect after he went to the Federal Court building, admitted to crashing his car into the statue and then making threatening statements against President Barack Obama.
http://www.okcfox.com/story/26883650/car-slams-into-ten-commandments-monument-at-state-capitol

...and Capitol Security found out about it when?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2014, 03:10:33 pm »

Apparently Satan told him to do it and Fallin said it will be re-built.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2015, 03:25:28 pm »

Lawsuit Against Ten Commandments Monument Dismissed

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/lawsuit-against-ten-commandments-monument-dismissed

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit that challenges a Ten Commandments monument on the grounds of the Oklahoma state Capitol.

U.S. District Judge Robin Cauthron handed down an order Tuesday that dismissed the lawsuit filed by a New Jersey-based nonprofit group, American Atheists Inc., and two of its members in January 2014. Cauthron ruled that the group lacked legal standing to file the lawsuit.

An attorney for the group, Eric O Husby of Tampa, Florida, says he disagrees with the ruling but that no decision has been made to appeal it.

The original monument was erected in 2012 after a bill authorizing it was passed by the Republican-controlled Legislature. That monument was destroyed in October when a car crashed into it. It was replaced with a replica in January.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org