A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:29:15 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State capitol religious monuments  (Read 35782 times)
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 10:11:47 am »

You're the deity? I thought we were worshipping the horse....of course. The FAMOUS Mr. Ed!

Changes everything.

I've been compared to the horse. You can guess which end.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 10:18:13 am »

You're the deity? I thought we were worshipping the horse....of course. The FAMOUS Mr. Ed!

Changes everything.

Oh the list could go on and on. But I'm good with snuggies. I already have my Miami Dolphins one with velcro attachments. I just couldn't get used to the backdraft those things have.  Grin

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 07:52:09 am »

Now the Hindus want to erect a monument to Lord Hanuman, the monkey revered for tremendous strength and proper grammar. (No, I'm not making this up.) But there's this fly in the ointment, a possibly disingenuous statement at the end of the news piece:

However, it’s unlikely that any religious monument would join the 10 Commandments. Typically courts have rejected religious monuments unless they have historic significance to the community where they are placed.

I had the impression that federal courts generally ruled that government buildings and property could not be used for religious purposes despite the insistence of some of our Okie legislators thumbing their noses. So if this is true, those native American tribes that were here prior to statehood would have a more legitimate claim to erect a monument.

http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomanews/okc/group-requests-monument-to-hinduism-on-oklahoma-state-capitol-grounds/-/11777584/23430152/-/lli3pd/-/index.html

Ed

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 08:36:51 am »

Now the Hindus want to erect a monument to Lord Hanuman, the monkey revered for tremendous strength and proper grammar. (No, I'm not making this up.) But there's this fly in the ointment, a possibly disingenuous statement at the end of the news piece:

However, it’s unlikely that any religious monument would join the 10 Commandments. Typically courts have rejected religious monuments unless they have historic significance to the community where they are placed.

I had the impression that federal courts generally ruled that government buildings and property could not be used for religious purposes despite the insistence of some of our Okie legislators thumbing their noses. So if this is true, those native American tribes that were here prior to statehood would have a more legitimate claim to erect a monument.

http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomanews/okc/group-requests-monument-to-hinduism-on-oklahoma-state-capitol-grounds/-/11777584/23430152/-/lli3pd/-/index.html

I heard that.  Let’s wait until we have 8 or 10 statues from varying religions.  Our Capitol grounds will start to look a little like Disneyland.

I’ve often wondered why so many churches are used for polling places in elections since there is supposed to be a separation of church and state.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 10:53:34 am »

Or the use of TPS education facilities for church services which is common. I assume they are arms length, business transactions.

This whole facade seems to hinge on the "historical" nature of the religious symbol. I heard an Evangelical bragging on the radio that they have applications for monuments in every single statehouse across America using that ruse. They are banking on that as the tiny window opening to evade the separation of church and state. Oklahoma splits it even thinner by commanding "historical significance to the community served" which would certainly open it up more than their feeble minds can comprehend.

I would strongly support the Festivus monuments which are also planned for every statehouse. Television sitcoms are a big part of our history.

onward...through the fog
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 11:54:07 am »

Deep thinker and American Family Association executive director Bryan Fischer claims the First Amendment was written to protect only Christianity, saying without any credible evidence that "By the word 'religion,' the founders meant Christianity." As a result, Fischer concluded that satanists cannot put up a monument next to the Ten Commandments in Oklahoma City.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/religion/christianity/us-constitution-only-protects-christianity-claims-american-family#

Given a chance, this guy would have no problem establishing a theocracy.

Ed

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 11:56:32 am »

OK I want to see a Monument erected to Joseph Smith. Showing him handing me my ticket of passage to Heaven.

I think that's how the story goes but I may be way off.  Roll Eyes

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 12:05:44 pm »

Let’s wait until we have 8 or 10 statues from varying religions.  Our Capitol grounds will start to look a little like Disneyland.

I’ve often wondered why so many churches are used for polling places in elections since there is supposed to be a separation of church and state.

Once upon a time the state capitol displayed all the flags that once flew over what is now Oklahoma (hence the large numbers of flagpoles).
Despite the historical significance, someone was offended, so they did away with that.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 12:42:04 pm »

This is great comedy theatre. I just hate to pay taxes to produce it.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 12:43:16 pm »

Deep thinker and American Family Association executive director Bryan Fischer claims the First Amendment was written to protect only Christianity, saying without any credible evidence that "By the word 'religion,' the founders meant Christianity." As a result, Fischer concluded that satanists cannot put up a monument next to the Ten Commandments in Oklahoma City.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/religion/christianity/us-constitution-only-protects-christianity-claims-american-family#

Given a chance, this guy would have no problem establishing a theocracy.

If that were really the case, then America would have been clearly founded as an asylum for Christians and non-Christians would have been denied entry to the country.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 01:16:27 pm »

I think I like the way this could go.

Oklahoma has an opportunity to look like we're open to all peoples if we'd allow multiple monuments, religious or not, onto the grounds.

Eventually though, this will turn into some "Ya'll's different than us" amendment in the state constitution that will lead to a very expensive court battle.  Then Oklahoma will be forced to remove the 10 commandments monument.
TeeDub
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 07:17:29 am »

Let’s wait until we have 8 or 10 statues from varying religions.  Our Capitol grounds will start to look a little like Disneyland.

I vote this!    In fact, I will donate if anyone wants to put up a FSM statue to go next to the Hindu and Satanic ones.

Something tasteful.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 10:28:51 am »

I think TeeDub has a brilliant idea.

Please start a Flying Spaghetti Monster thread on this forum and let's brainstorm on fundraising ideas. We could start with a spaghetti dinner.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 10:34:14 am »

Where did the concept of the Flying Spaghetti Monster come from?

onward...through the fog
rebound
City Father

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 10:40:38 am »

Where did the concept of the Flying Spaghetti Monster come from?

"The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" was first described in a satirical open letter written by Bobby Henderson in 2005 to protest the Kansas State Board of Education decision to permit teaching intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in public school science classes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

I am so on-board with offering up a FSM statue!  If anybody really gets that going, count me in.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org