A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:00:12 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cops with big guns at Promenade  (Read 34254 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 07:26:34 am »

Last week a high speed pursuit along Edison street took the chase right through a school zone at the same time junior and high school students were letting out. The car lost control and hit another car. My understanding is that the TP had backed off. They have policies to do so because endangering innocents to pursue property rights is a bad is a bad policy. Use the chopper. They don't fall out of the sky as often as cruisers hit other cars.

But when the guy starts shooting at his pursuers, the calculus changes. Meth is seriously hurting our community.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 11:52:23 am »

Only to cost the taxpayers hundreds of thousands in future lawsuits and wrongful death settlements.
But I only know what I read:
http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/march-2010/evidence-based-decisions-on-police-pursuits

Uh, the only person harmed in this incident was the fleeing tweaker driver.  No pending lawsuits on this one.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 01:45:10 pm »

Uh, the only person harmed in this incident was the fleeing tweaker driver.  No pending lawsuits on this one.

Make some more posts like that and Im sure you will eventually see one...   Wink

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 09:22:38 pm »

Of course your superior logic over-rides that of people trained in law enforcement.

Thankfully, there are plenty of people trained in law enforcement who agree with me. Many other cities have policies restricting high speed pursuit. That said, appeal to authority is pretty weak sauce. You can do better than that. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 10:40:16 pm »

According to the TW story posted yesterday, he wasn't shooting until after he fled from QT and they had already pursued for a mile or two.

Other than our cowardly prosecutors and timid media, how many steps removed are we from something like this?

Cleveland Police Chief Mark McGrath announced on Tuesday that following an 11-month investigation his office will issue suspensions for 63 of the 104 officers involved in a 25-minute high-speed car chase that resulted in the fatal shooting of the driver and his passenger.

The officers are being disciplined because of excessive speed, insubordination and failure to request permission to join the pursuit, he said.  Some officers also told state investigators they were frightened and feared for their lives.

The chase involved 63 police cars, according to the investigation.

In March, the U.S. Justice Department launched a review of Cleveland police policies over the possible use of excessive force by officers.
In a wide-ranging review by state agents, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said in February the chase resulted from leadership failures. "Command failed, communications failed, the system failed," DeWine said.

Nine Cleveland police department supervisors were suspended, two demoted and one was fired due to the way they handled the incident, McGrath said. 

A fleeing driver and passenger were killed when officers fired 137 shots at them in the 23-minute chase that involved five dozen cruisers and wove through residential neighborhoods before ending in gunfire.

Police Chief Michael McGrath said the suspensions were the result of disciplinary hearings, and violations ranged from insubordination to driving too fast during the chase.

The hearings did not involve any of the officers involved in the shooting because a county grand jury is investigating possible criminal wrongdoing among the 13 officers who fired their weapons. No weapon or shell casings were found in the fleeing car.

An initial review of the chase found 75 patrol officers violated orders, but the disciplinary hearings reduced that number to 64 officers. All but one received a suspension, with the longest being 10 days, McGrath said.  Some of the officers received a written warning.

Police previously announced punishments for 12 supervisors stemming from the chase. One sergeant was fired. A captain and lieutenant were demoted, and nine sergeants were suspended.

The nighttime chase began last November when an officer thought he heard a gunshot from a car speeding by the police station in downtown Cleveland. A parking lot attendant thought it might have been a car backfire, a theory endorsed by the driver’s family.

The officer jumped into his patrol car and radioed for help. The chase went through neighborhoods, onto Interstate 90, and eventually ended in East Cleveland.

Driver Timothy Russell, 43, was shot 23 times and passenger Malissa Williams, 30, was shot 24 times.

McGrath said Tuesday that some of the officers continued the chase after being told to stop because they thought an officer was in trouble. He said the officers who were disciplined were honest and professional during the review process. He also said police supervisors failed to take charge of the chase and allowed it to escalate.

The union has said the shootings were justified because the driver tried to ram an officer.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 10:28:48 am »

Uh, the only person harmed in this incident was the fleeing tweaker driver.  No pending lawsuits on this one.

And the guy this one tortured for a while with his buddy....  The three were dealing/producing/consuming meth, and the one they kidnapped was a buddy who got caught and offered a deal, so he ratted on the two who then kidnapped and beat him up.  This one was already over the edge - way far gone - and having the shotgun, from stuff I have heard about him, a cop standoff/shootout was pretty much inevitable.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 10:33:42 am »

And the guy this one tortured for a while with his buddy....  The three were dealing/producing/consuming meth, and the one they kidnapped was a buddy who got caught and offered a deal, so he ratted on the two who then kidnapped and beat him up.  This one was already over the edge - way far gone - and having the shotgun, from stuff I have heard about him, a cop standoff/shootout was pretty much inevitable.

Must be something to have little green men shouting in his ear the whole time.  I never got the idea behind meth or cocaine.  I enjoy sleep too much to be up for four or five days in a row.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 10:41:56 am »

Must be something to have little green men shouting in his ear the whole time.  I never got the idea behind meth or cocaine.  I enjoy sleep too much to be up for four or five days in a row.

Mkay.

Stay away now or crash later.  Feel good now or feel good later.  Compress and decompress.  It all evens out in the end.  The piper must be paid.

There is no benefit without cost.  Just takes some folks a while to realize that, and some never do.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 08:05:55 pm »

Ah, the War On Drugs.
That justifies everything.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 08:10:30 pm »

Ah, the War On Drugs.
That justifies everything.

On meth and other drugs, sure.  On marijuana?  I've believed we should have legalized that before the turn of the century.  Are you familiar with the term 'Money Pit', as it relates to the LEO FAIL that has been the war on pot?  Legalize it and give the states taxation rights like they do with tobacco.  Two birds/one stone.  Pun intended.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 09:12:19 pm »

On meth and other drugs, sure.  On marijuana?  I've believed we should have legalized that before the turn of the century.  Are you familiar with the term 'Money Pit', as it relates to the LEO FAIL that has been the war on pot?  Legalize it and give the states taxation rights like they do with tobacco.  Two birds/one stone.  Pun intended.

I think pot was legal before the turn of the previous century.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 09:16:22 pm »

1932.  Compliments of DuPont and Randolph Hearst.  And the bought and paid for Congress of that day....just like today's Congress.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2013, 09:19:27 pm »

So was cocaine, heroin (any opiate).  Your point is?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2013, 09:31:03 pm »

Now the potheads in Colorado are pissed off about corporate MJ since it was legalized.  Did we not see that coming?

Who says dope doesn't make you stupid?

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2013, 09:52:46 pm »

So was cocaine, heroin (any opiate).  Your point is?

Nothing in particular.  Just an observation of history.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org