A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:31:00 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fall 2013 TV New shows: Thoughts?  (Read 34258 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: October 29, 2013, 02:21:23 pm »

I'm impressed with:
The Blacklist - probably the most intense drama I've seen on broadcast TV
Sleepy Hollow - Didn't buy the premise originally, just happened to watch the pilot online after the fact. Pretty impressed.

Disappointed:
Agents of Shield - A TV show about a group of people who work with superheros and aliens somehow manages to be a yawner. Character development is extremely slow leaving a bunch of non-interesting characters chasing vaguely interesting plot lines.
Michael J Fox Show - I like MJF as an actor. It's interesting they work his Parkinson's into it, but you could recast the rest of the actors without anyone noticing.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 02:45:12 pm »

I'm impressed with:
The Blacklist - probably the most intense drama I've seen on broadcast TV
Sleepy Hollow - Didn't buy the premise originally, just happened to watch the pilot online after the fact. Pretty impressed.

Disappointed:
Agents of Shield - A TV show about a group of people who work with superheros and aliens somehow manages to be a yawner. Character development is extremely slow leaving a bunch of non-interesting characters chasing vaguely interesting plot lines.
Michael J Fox Show - I like MJF as an actor. It's interesting they work his Parkinson's into it, but you could recast the rest of the actors without anyone noticing.

I do like the Blacklist.  Anymore it's almost a given with any show that has Spader in it that it will be good.

As far as Agents of SHIELD, I didn't expect much going in, and have actually been a little surprised at how much I do like it.  I'm thinking fanbois of Marvel complain about it (I'm not calling you one Scott) because they want instant gratification ala The Avengers.  I like the character development for a change, and have always liked Clark Gregg's portrayal of Coulson.  I'm still interested in how they fully explain his resurrection from his fate in Avengers.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:02:22 pm »

We had high hopes for MJ Fox's and Robin Williams' new shows and eagerly awaited their debut.  We watched the first episodes and were disappointed.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 09:45:37 pm »

We had high hopes for MJ Fox's and Robin Williams' new shows and eagerly awaited their debut.  We watched the first episodes and were disappointed.

Both of those disappointed me, but I found Sean saves the world to be actually decent.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:11:49 pm »

I have not watched network TV in forever, but did want to give Brooklyn 99 a chance. I like it. Andy Samburg and Terry Crews are great, and Andre Brougher always has it. I am DVRing Sleepy Hollow

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 05:54:41 am »

I have not watched network TV in forever, but did want to give Brooklyn 99 a chance. I like it. Andy Samburg and Terry Crews are great, and Andre Brougher always has it. I am DVRing Sleepy Hollow

Most of my watching is Netflix. Just watched Continuum, Archer, and Arrow. Will probably watch HBO and Showtime shows once those networks get their heads out of their derrieres and realize I don't want to pay $150-200/mo to watch Game of Thrones.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 09:05:56 am »

Most of my watching is Netflix. Just watched Continuum, Archer, and Arrow. Will probably watch HBO and Showtime shows once those networks get their heads out of their derrieres and realize I don't want to pay $150-200/mo to watch Game of Thrones.

Not going to happen. Time Warner and CBS/Viacom have way too much invested in other channels then to allow non cable subscriptions to Showtime or HBO.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 11:37:58 am »

Not going to happen. Time Warner and CBS/Viacom have way too much invested in other channels then to allow non cable subscriptions to Showtime or HBO.

Comcast is testing a package called "Internet Plus" that bundles premium cable network HBO with basic TV channels and Internet service.

Variety reports that, for a limited time, Comcast will lets customers pay for HBO as a standalone service. However, a subscription to Comcast's limited basic cable services is still required.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 12:29:04 pm »

I do like the Blacklist.  Anymore it's almost a given with any show that has Spader in it that it will be good.

As far as Agents of SHIELD, I didn't expect much going in, and have actually been a little surprised at how much I do like it.  I'm thinking fanbois of Marvel complain about it (I'm not calling you one Scott) because they want instant gratification ala The Avengers.  I like the character development for a change, and have always liked Clark Gregg's portrayal of Coulson.  I'm still interested in how they fully explain his resurrection from his fate in Avengers.

I think Coulson is some sort of life model decoy, that's a S.H.E.I.L.D. thing that I remember from my days as an X-MEN reader. I am not a fan of this show, not because I'm a MARVEL fanboy but because I expected so much more from Joss Whedon. Firefly was excellent and the characters were engaging and interesting. These S.H.E.I.L.D. characters are stock and flat, nothing new here. For some reason this show feels old to me, like it is airing in 2001 instead of in the new "golden age" of television.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 12:46:50 pm »

I think Coulson is some sort of life model decoy, that's a S.H.E.I.L.D. thing that I remember from my days as an X-MEN reader. I am not a fan of this show, not because I'm a MARVEL fanboy but because I expected so much more from Joss Whedon. Firefly was excellent and the characters were engaging and interesting. These S.H.E.I.L.D. characters are stock and flat, nothing new here. For some reason this show feels old to me, like it is airing in 2001 instead of in the new "golden age" of television.

The show is mainly done by Jed Whedon, which may be the cause.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 02:04:35 pm »

I watched the Blacklist premier
Does every episode involve tracking down some new criminal on the blacklist and learning a bit more about her husband?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 02:26:11 pm »

The show is mainly done by Jed Whedon, which may be the cause.

Ahhhhh. JED!
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 02:52:22 pm »

Still bundled in a small cable package.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 09:10:44 am »

I watched the Blacklist premier
Does every episode involve tracking down some new criminal on the blacklist and learning a bit more about her husband?

It is called "The Blacklist" so yes, the show focuses primarily on tracking down people on said list. Usually it's not hunting them so much as stopping a plot in progress by someone who happens to be on the list. (ie #157 is getting ready to go blow something up, go stop them) Some of them are kinda creepy (The stewmaker.... he disposes of bodies...)

The husband story feels like a season 1 arc. They delve into it in some episodes and pretty much ignore it in others.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 09:11:40 am »

Still bundled in a small cable package.

Yeah, but the prerequisites to get HBO now are like $90, whereas basic cable is $14.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org