A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:39:18 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Top 10  (Read 2129 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: October 07, 2013, 11:16:08 am »

Hooray! We made another Top 10 list.....Oh wait...What?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2448231/Tennessee-tops-list-Americas-dangerous-states.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 12:02:44 pm »

This actually contradicts other studies that have shown little if any correlation between poverty and crime. Perhaps things have changed or perhaps the real culprit is education and culture. I think that is the reason we made the list anyway.

Many of the comments after the article were racist in nature, blaming the concentration of blacks as the real reason for the crime. Yet they barely notice that we're number 10 and have a very small % of black minorities in the state. Last I saw it was around 11%.

onward...through the fog
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 12:51:17 pm »

I think AqM hit the nail on the head in the post above, IMO the real culprit is "Education & Culture" The idea that being poor or poverity causes crime has been de-bunked many times. They keep bring it up though.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org