A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:17:59 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re~Roof  (Read 7243 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« on: October 05, 2013, 02:34:25 pm »

Hey gang I'm planning to re-roof my house next spring/summer (2014). I thunk about installing metal panels, some people say you can just screw the panels into the roof decking other people say you need to use 1X4" boards spaced 24" apart on center. Metal panels can be layed right over any existing roof. One 14'X3' panel costs about $34.00 each. I wondered about finding used panels someplace. Another product out there is "OnDura" I googled it and most people say it's pure junk, it does not hold up, that stuff is light and comes in sheets 80" X 48". I also watched many youtube videos about re-roofing your house and videos about installing metal roofing, one guy says nailing panels on the flat is ok another guy says nail panels only on the ridge line. Does a home owner need a building permit to do his own roof? If nothing else I'll just install the regular shingles and do a small section of roof at a time maybe a 10' X 10' section at a time. I only have one layer of shingles on my roof now so I can re-roof over that, but I'd like to tear them off and keep it at a single layer. Has anyone hear re-roofed their own house?

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 10:11:19 am »

I re-roofed a spec house and tried to do my own. The spec house was a simple gable roof with two ends. Satisfied my DIY urge at the time. My personal home is a combination of hip roof and gables. Too many angles and valleys and I finally hired a crew to finish. Next time I simply found a good roofer for the whole job including re-decking.

I won't address installation issues but I will say I considered metal roofing. It seems to make sense but only if you have a professional do the install so you can make sure your insurance and mortgage holder are satisfied, otherwise you are on the hook for any storm damage. The most important reason I passed was that Oklahoma has so many hail storms. The metal gets dented and looks bad and insurance may not replace the panels. Resale is also a factor. In my hood metal roofs are not common other than high end clay tile reproductions, which could mean lower values.

Get ready for an increase in interior sound levels during rain storms.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 07:09:23 pm »

Won't put metal on my current house, since I consider it short term, but the next one will have metal.  Love the sound of rain on the roof!!  Especially, if you add a porch that has it, too!!  May add sound tubes ted hrough the attic just to ensure the sound!!

sauer,
If you are serious, Metal Panels, Inc is a good local place to buy material...they have several types.  Have used their stuff in a couple of installations and been very happy with results.  They may be able to help with recommendations for someone to do install with that type metal.

Aqua - dented metal doesn't look bad - it shows character and adds patina!!  Rusty corrugated galvanized steel on a barn adds a lot of character to the "ole home place"....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 07:35:22 pm »

Won't put metal on my current house, since I consider it short term, but the next one will have metal.  Love the sound of rain on the roof!!  Especially, if you add a porch that has it, too!!  May add sound tubes ted hrough the attic just to ensure the sound!!

sauer,
If you are serious, Metal Panels, Inc is a good local place to buy material...they have several types.  Have used their stuff in a couple of installations and been very happy with results.  They may be able to help with recommendations for someone to do install with that type metal.

Aqua - dented metal doesn't look bad - it shows character and adds patina!!  Rusty corrugated galvanized steel on a barn adds a lot of character to the "ole home place"....

Only person I know of who essentially sided his whole home with metal paneling and roofed it the same way, was my dispatcher friend from Mannford who lost his home to the giant fire in August 2012.

Can't say I blame him there.  Considering it seems that area gets hit with fires a little more often than not.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 12:37:56 am »

Hey gang I'm planning to re-roof my house next spring/summer (2014). I thunk about installing metal panels, some people say you can just screw the panels into the roof decking other people say you need to use 1X4" boards spaced 24" apart on center. Metal panels can be layed right over any existing roof. One 14'X3' panel costs about $34.00 each. I wondered about finding used panels someplace. Another product out there is "OnDura" I googled it and most people say it's pure junk, it does not hold up, that stuff is light and comes in sheets 80" X 48". I also watched many youtube videos about re-roofing your house and videos about installing metal roofing, one guy says nailing panels on the flat is ok another guy says nail panels only on the ridge line. Does a home owner need a building permit to do his own roof? If nothing else I'll just install the regular shingles and do a small section of roof at a time maybe a 10' X 10' section at a time. I only have one layer of shingles on my roof now so I can re-roof over that, but I'd like to tear them off and keep it at a single layer. Has anyone hear re-roofed their own house?

Can't you just re-roof that single wide with 2 or 3 10'x20' blue tarps from Home Depot?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 06:29:38 am »

Can't you just re-roof that single wide with 2 or 3 10'x20' blue tarps from Home Depot?

Nice!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 09:11:41 am »

It may be tempting to re-roof it yourself, but check with your insurance company first.  In all likelihood, they may refuse coverage and/or claims if you don't use a recognized roofing company.  The other thing you need to think about that you likely can't find in DIY books or videos, is knowing enough about it to prevent inadvertently creating ice dams and making sure you get a fully weatherproof cover on your roof.
It's one of those things I probably "could" do, but know I "shouldn't".

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 09:25:52 am »

sauer,

I've got a 1990 Isuzu Trooper with just tons of character and patina if you know anyone who is interested. Cheesy Otherwise that dented metal is headed to Yaffe.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 09:29:33 am »

I've got a 1990 Isuzu Trooper with just tons of character and patina if you know anyone who is interested. Cheesy Otherwise that dented metal is headed to Yaffe.

I bet if I could get enough of them, I could just cut off the roof, use them like really big shingles, and do the whole house!  And get some color variation along the way, too!!  Bonus!

Kind of a "Red Green Show" approach to roofing....great idea - thanks!  Now, I just gotta get some duct tape!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 09:38:57 am »

It may be tempting to re-roof it yourself, but check with your insurance company first.  In all likelihood, they may refuse coverage and/or claims if you don't use a recognized roofing company.  The other thing you need to think about that you likely can't find in DIY books or videos, is knowing enough about it to prevent inadvertently creating ice dams and making sure you get a fully weatherproof cover on your roof.
It's one of those things I probably "could" do, but know I "shouldn't".

I re-roofed mine with shingles about 12 years ago, and the insurance company (State Farm) was fine with it...saved them some money and I got the sealing strips to seal perfectly, unlike so many I see that "unzip" big sections of roof during a light breeze...like the next door neighbor who used a roofing company that same fall.  In fact, the claim was handled while getting the materials, so it was just a straight pass-through.  I got a check, then wrote a check without ever having to use my normal cash flow stream.  Cost just over $900.  (Small house - small roof.)

Got 30 year shingles and they still look very good.  Never can tell if will actually go the warranty time, but if no tornado or 3" hail, should be fine.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 01:06:19 pm »

My house is pretty simple, a stright forward roof, no hip roofs or odd ball corners. I have a 4-12 pitch, I do have one small "peak" (gabel) area above my garage but I may not even have to re-do that part it does not look bad at all. Alot of my roof wear seems due to tree damage from large trees that were around the house when I bought it- the trees have all be cut down and removed so they won't be a issue anymore. I only have about 1,200 square feet of roof. I figure I can do a small section at a time. Roofing is pretty simple it's not rocket science and the biggest cost in roofing is the labor. I also learned that some places even deliver your packages of shingles and can even  roll them out to the roof on a conveyor line from the truck so I won't have to carry the  bundles up the ladder by hand.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 01:10:29 pm »

youtube has tons of videos about re-roofing.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 02:09:13 pm »

youtube has tons of videos about re-roofing.

Well, there you have it.  Maybe with this new found knowledge you should go buy a few hammers, some roofing nails, and magnetic signs for your old beater truck and go into the roofing business.  Sounds really simple.  Wonder why I didn't think of that.

Do you suppose they have any great instructional videos on heart surgery on Youtube?  Just an idea I'm kicking around...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 02:14:03 pm »

Well, there you have it.  Maybe with this new found knowledge you should go buy a few hammers, some roofing nails, and magnetic signs for your old beater truck and go into the roofing business.  Sounds really simple.  Wonder why I didn't think of that.

Do you suppose they have any great instructional videos on heart surgery on Youtube?  Just an idea I'm kicking around...

Learned how to clean the pool filters on YouTube.  Same Smoot.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 04:17:27 pm »

Post of the day material right there.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org