A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:37:21 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative Method to Pay for Public Education  (Read 6394 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: September 08, 2013, 09:10:33 pm »

Getting away from regressive and unfair property taxes.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/easton/index.ssf/2013/09/easton_schools_superintendent_1.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:39:25 pm »

Common cause!!  I can't believe it...we appear - at least on the surface - to agree on something fundamental...!!

Property taxes - truly a good, ole' fashioned, down-home, Biblical style abomination!  (Much worse than regressive and unfair!)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 10:47:31 pm »

How are property taxes regressive and unfair?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 11:40:14 pm »

How are property taxes regressive and unfair?
To me, having a nice home or property and being taxed, regardless of income, is regressive. Unfair, because many people do not have children in public school, have children in private school, or are elderly. I've discussed my views on that before.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 05:51:15 am »

Life is picking on guido.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 06:42:34 am »

Figuring out new ways to fuel a broken engine.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 04:31:10 pm »

Figuring out new ways to fuel a broken engine.

Not me. I just don't want to keep paying for the gas fueling that engine, especially since it is not taking me or my kids anywhere. I suspect those without children or the elderly can empathize.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 05:21:47 pm »

Not me. I just don't want to keep paying for the gas fueling that engine, especially since it is not taking me or my kids anywhere. I suspect those without children or the elderly can empathize.

You'd be surprised how many of us childless folks are quite happy to pay for schools. In my case it's part selfishness (educated people are less likely to be hoodlums) and part altruism. (I think kids deserve an education regardless of how crappy their parents might be)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 08:21:59 pm »

You'd be surprised how many of us childless folks are quite happy to pay for schools. In my case it's part selfishness (educated people are less likely to be hoodlums) and part altruism. (I think kids deserve an education regardless of how crappy their parents might be)

...and that kid in elementary school may be putting new brakes on my car someday, or he might be my cardiologist. We all benefit from public schools.

On the other hand, if we were so foolish to follow Guido's lead, public school funding would suffer. We'd see the middle class shrink even further while the uber-rich remain securely behind the bastions of their gated communities.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 08:24:01 pm »

I guess I don't see the regressive nature of property taxes.  Generally, people will either purchase a home befitting of their income situation or rent a home that the landlord is paying property taxes on.  My kids are grown so obviously I don't get the "direct" benefit. They also attended private schools at various times before finishing out their years at Jenks.   As a way to be able to contribute to the community, I really don't have an issue with my property taxes.  I'm with Nate, schools enhance the community and hopefully turn out better citizens which ends up costing us less as a society.

One other thing to consider: it can be safely assumed that many retirees probably sent their kids through the school system in Tulsa.  When you pay to send your child to private school, you pay handsomely for it for 12-13 years or however long they attend.  As a percent of property taxes which goes to schools, there is simply no way someone paying $2000 a year in property taxes is even coming close to contributing what it costs for their child's education.  In other words, you kind of pre-pay and post pay for it.

I have rarely needed police or fire services, though I continue to pay for that via all sorts of taxes and fees.  It's part of living in a community.  I believe the library system is also funded at least partially via property taxes, something else I rarely use. 

I'd love to see better access to college via more grant and scholarship programs.  I see that as one area where we waste a crap ton on entitlement programs which would be better send making sure those who come from under-priveleged backgrounds get a fair shot at breaking the cycle of poverty.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 09:20:06 pm »

Generally, people will either purchase a home befitting of their income situation or rent a home that the landlord is paying property taxes on.

Which will generally be true at the time of purchase or when you start a rental situation.  When housing prices play the California game, many people on fixed or not rapidly rising incomes are in danger of losing their homes through no action beyond living.  There are some breaks for old folks (me soon) here in OK that limit the rise in taxes.

I have never had kids but I do support the public schools.  There is no question they need a lot of fixing but the concept of an educated populace is a good one.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 07:11:26 am »

It's not a question of whether or not you are willing to pay for schools.  I think we all should be happy to support our schools, because that is the most important thread in the fabric of our communities.  The problem arises when we are asked to contribute more and more, and at the same time the quality decreases more and more. 

Increases in educational spending should be directly linked to results. It is better to solve a problem than just throw money at it.

We have some great private and charter schools that are producing amazing results.  Public schools need to learn from that, and the only way that happens is if they have to compete. Without that competition there is no responsibility.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 12:50:34 pm »

Go back to the article I linked to. It tells a very good story. As for property taxes being regressive, the article explained that observation, which I agree with:

Group board member Wayne Schissler said he read about Fernandes’ protest — which he called “awesome” — and said he can sympathize with him. Schissler, of Nazareth, said property taxes are among the most regressive taxes because they increase with little regard for a homeowner’s ability to pay, especially after retirement.

I will never understand the concept of the discriminatory progressive taxation, nor why we have it extending to matters beyond income. We live in a society where everyone thinks they are a victim of discrimination, and demanding protected status. Hell, just today we hear that a civil action was brought by a woman wearing a hijab while she worked at freakin Abercrombie & Filth. Then there's our local hair style case. Sheesh.  But if you work hard and excel, and can afford to live in a nice home, well the lesser class cannot have that without getting their share. Why not increase the sales tax at the cash register based on income as well?

Again, I am not looking for way to not provide an education for children. I remain a strong advocate for children, and actually get out and DO SOMETHING to assist with their needs. But there is an unfairness built into its current means of financing, lousy results, squelched efforts at competition, overly political teachers, union crap, and never ending b!tching as to efforts to bring some accountability that I think a change needs to be made. A BIG change.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org