A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:09:24 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hill Across from OSU Tulsa  (Read 20863 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2014, 03:17:27 pm »

IIRC the UCAT Trust owns all of the land not OSU.  OSU is just the main tenant.  If I were Mayor I would propose selling off the UCAT land around the campus.  OSU would keep everything from MLK east to the tracks, and north of the IDL to John Hope Franklin, with Langston in their own area on Greenwood.  Everything else would be sold to a master developer similar to what Denver did with the old Stapleton airport.  Develop design guidelines and build it out as a mix of residential and open spaces:
- High Density Residential between Boulder and MLK north of the IDL to John Hope Franklin (these could be urban apartments targeting downtown workers and OSU students)
- Medium Density Residential east of MLK on the hilltop (these could be town homes that include a mix of market rate and affordable housing next to the THA office and Sunrise Terrace public housing)
- Low Density Residential between Boulder and MLK north of John Hope Franklin to Jasper (mostly houses similar to the character of the adjacent Brady Heights neighborhood with front porches, alley garages, etc)
- Parks and Open Space on the hill north of OSU includes tearing down the public housing at MLK & Independence and having a playground/sports field space, and walking trails though the forested part to the east
- Improved Connections to Brady, Downtown and OSU with new sidewalks, street lighting and trees planted along each street and better lighting and public art at each IDL underpass on Boulder, Main, Boston, MLK, Detroit, Elgin and Greenwood

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2014, 03:54:17 pm »

IIRC the UCAT Trust owns all of the land not OSU.  OSU is just the main tenant.  If I were Mayor I would propose selling off the UCAT land around the campus.  OSU would keep everything from MLK east to the tracks, and north of the IDL to John Hope Franklin, with Langston in their own area on Greenwood.  Everything else would be sold to a master developer similar to what Denver did with the old Stapleton airport.  Develop design guidelines and build it out as a mix of residential and open spaces:
- High Density Residential between Boulder and MLK north of the IDL to John Hope Franklin (these could be urban apartments targeting downtown workers and OSU students)
- Medium Density Residential east of MLK on the hilltop (these could be town homes that include a mix of market rate and affordable housing next to the THA office and Sunrise Terrace public housing)
- Low Density Residential between Boulder and MLK north of John Hope Franklin to Jasper (mostly houses similar to the character of the adjacent Brady Heights neighborhood with front porches, alley garages, etc)
- Parks and Open Space on the hill north of OSU includes tearing down the public housing at MLK & Independence and having a playground/sports field space, and walking trails though the forested part to the east
- Improved Connections to Brady, Downtown and OSU with new sidewalks, street lighting and trees planted along each street and better lighting and public art at each IDL underpass on Boulder, Main, Boston, MLK, Detroit, Elgin and Greenwood

Here is the complete list of funded developers who have expressed a serious interest in doing a large scale development in partnership with the City of Tulsa:

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2014, 04:27:58 pm »

There's a first for everything.   Grin

I do think as Brady continues to develop and grow more popular that the land north of there will become increasingly valuable.  OSU would still have about 40 acres left to expand the footprint, and another 10 if they wanted Evans-Fintube.  They would then have to build more of a cohesive and dense campus.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2014, 08:41:12 am »

Betting the tower was closer to $300k, the rest spent on shoring up the hill, sidewalks, lighting, etc.

And, now they are out in the community asking local foundations to give more than in the past to support scholarships.  A lot of people I talk to are now happy with OSU Tulsa over their handling of this and the handling of the Helmerich Research Center.  Which the ARC has no research going on inside of it.  I'm sure Mr. Helmrich would roll in his grave if he knew.  BUT, higher ed in Oklahoma is a near immovable force.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2014, 03:26:48 pm »

By "improved connections" I assume you also mean driveable surface streets.  Detroit and MLK, Jr. Blvd. are in horrible shape.  I thought I read somewhere that there were going to also be improvements at the I-244 on and off ramps into downtown to make them more attractive, rather than the sea of cement that downtown visitors are currently treated to.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org