A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:05:15 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RiverSide 5000 Race  (Read 4235 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« on: August 20, 2013, 03:14:13 pm »

Anyone here run the RiverSide 5K Race last Saturday the 17th of August? I ran it, it was a very fast course, my time was not impressive- maybe my old age is slowing me down. There were many younger runners there and alot of teens and 20 somethings. None the less I had a good time. The part I enjoyed the most was the 7:30am "Elite Runner Race" geared toward fast runners who can do a 5K in 17:00 or less for men and 20:00 or less for women. They had about 50 "elite" runners enter it. Top dogs racing against other top dogs. It was pretty wild they pretty much ran the full 5K full open throttle, they hit the finish line soaked in sweat. The first place runner made it in 15:00 (something) very impressive running. The 2nd place guy was about 10 seconds behind him. That is really flying. I cheered the runners on as they came across the finish line and I met a lady who finished in 18:00 (something) and told her "Very impressive running -good job- Congrads" I told her my goal is to crack 25:00 in a 5K and she beat my goal by about 7 minutes. She looked to be in her mid-30's. I noticed no older people were doing the '"elite" race- must be a reason for that- most were in their 20's and 30's. I'd like to see more race events that feature top dog runners against other top dog runners. At 8am the regular open 5K took off.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:25:05 pm »

After the race they had alot of food & snacks for the runners including donuts of all things. Yep boxes and boxes of Daylight Donuts for runners. They were quick to post the race results, I just crossed the finish line and a few minutes latter my race results were up there. It was a fun event. Next I plan to run a race on Labor Day "Run To The Son 5K" at ParkView Baptist Church on 61st street, I ran that race every year it's not a bad course some upgrades, but in general  it's a flat course~~ the course runs thru area neighborhoods and side streets. After the race the runners get a breakfast as they hand out the awards. Last year I finished in a time of 26:03 pulled 3rd place for my age group- not bad for doing hills (upgrades), they have games for the kids too. Another fun event is the "Route 66 CPA 5K" (that's not the regular route 66 race)- this race is held on 11th street in front of Chapman Statium. It's a quick and pleasent run. The course is mostly flat. It's on Sept 14th this year.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 07:23:44 pm »

I just did a 104 mile mountain bike race with almost 12,000 feet of climbing in Leadville, Colorado and shaved an hour and 16 minutes off my best previous time.  What do I win?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:29:15 pm »

I just did a 104 mile mountain bike race with almost 12,000 feet of climbing in Leadville, Colorado and shaved an hour and 16 minutes off my best previous time.  What do I win?

Probably the chance to better your time again next year.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 07:33:56 am »

Probably the chance to better your time again next year.

For the first couple of days afterward, I kept thinking that's the last time I care to do it.  Now I'm ready to do it again.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:52:27 am »

I just did a 104 mile mountain bike race with almost 12,000 feet of climbing in Leadville, Colorado and shaved an hour and 16 minutes off my best previous time.  What do I win?
I don't really know much about the sport of cycling. I can hardly ride a bike as it is- it's been decades since I been on a 10 speed. If you shaved off an hour from your time that's not bad. I need to shave off 90 seconds from  5K races to get into the ballpark I wanna be in. My best 5K time was 25:33 and that was back in July of 2008~  I wanna crack the 25:00 mark. I can't speak for cycling but in running  every second counts big time during a race. No runner is really happy with their time in most cases- they always feel they could of done better. Should I run the next 5K race in 24:58, I would be thinking I could of done even better and shaved off a few more seconds had I ran a fraction faster in the last half kilometer, or did this or that during the race- If only  I didn't grab that cup of Gatoraid at the 3rd Kilometer mark I could of shaved off more seconds. A Lady runner friend told me I should try doing more 10k races instead of the 5K's- in a 10K you have more time to get warmed up and loose- A 5K is too short by the time your warmed up and loose and increasing your speed the race is over.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:59:51 am by sauerkraut » Logged

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 12:03:20 pm »

Two upcoming fun 5K race events are  the "Run To The Son" put on by the ParkView Baptist Church on 61st street on Labor Day, and The Route 66 CPA 5K on Sept. 14th by Chapman Statium.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org