A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:54:25 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get Out of Town  (Read 18137 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: August 11, 2013, 07:10:05 pm »

...if you want to be able to see the Perseid meteor shower.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/08/130811-light-pollution-sky-space-science-perseids-meteor-stars-sky-night/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 07:30:56 pm »

...if you want to be able to see the Perseid meteor shower.

You are going to have to go somewhere else.  It ain't gonna happen around Tulsa.

Sad Angry

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:51:43 pm »

You are going to have to go somewhere else.  It ain't gonna happen around Tulsa.

Sad Angry
There is an observatory South of Tulsa that is great for viewing.  Of course, you have to know or be a part of the Astronomy Club of Tulsa to get out there, or know what days it's open to the public.  I think they have a website that has the info.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 08:02:19 pm »

There is an observatory South of Tulsa that is great for viewing.  Of course, you have to know or be a part of the Astronomy Club of Tulsa to get out there, or know what days it's open to the public.  I think they have a website that has the info.

I believe it's most of the way to Okmulgee.

Edit:

I went out to my backyard, looking north.  After a few minutes I could just barely see the big dipper and the North Star.  It used to be easily visible. I do not consider that progress.  Sad

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:14:54 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 09:05:38 pm »

You have come clear around the circle to what I have been saying for a while now....about "progress"...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 01:01:54 pm »

A Leonid meteor caught on police dash cam:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnD63JCuWWg[/youtube]

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 11:31:22 am »

I found some comet time-lapse of ISON,  but Dakotalapse.com  had some much more interesting choices.

Check out an earlier comet in this one (best seen fullscreen)
http://vimeo.com/36684976

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org