A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:00:04 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mosquito invaders  (Read 9329 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: August 10, 2013, 08:11:44 am »

Right at the top, I'll tell you that mosquitoes are nature's most loathsome insects. They're worse than fleas, ticks, biting flies, spiders, and even cockroaches. I know, some purist will be along to say that ticks and spiders aren't technically insects. I'll crush them anyway. They deserve it.

I stepped outside with Duchess the Wonder Dog earlier this morning and sat on the porch while she searched for that elusive spot that required urination. It's one of the joys of having a girl dog - single downloads - unlike male dogs who have to anoint every vertical object in the vicinity. But in the time I sat there, perhaps 2-3 minutes, I was swarmed with mosquitoes. I was horrified to look down at my legs and see about a dozen of them.

Tulsa is spraying to kill mosquitoes. I think they've found West Nile virus too, so spraying is a good idea. I'm merely looking forward to colder temperatures, though in reality, fall mosquitoes are more aggressive than their summer cousins. They're going to bite or die in the attempt. There's no coy buzzing about while looking for the perfect landing spot.

I hate mosquitoes.

(Creative Commons photo from dr_relling on Flickr)

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 08:49:50 am »

I have purchased this product and like the results.

http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/

It is almost 100 garlic extract. It doesn't kill, but makes the mosquitos go elsewhere. It lasts a couple of weeks and my neighbors think I am cooking with garlic.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 09:36:56 am »

Thanks, Michael.  It will probably make me hungry for Italian food.  Does anyone stock it locally?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 09:55:11 am »

I have not seen it sold here. Last time we bought it, we got ten families to go in together and bought in bulk. A handful of dads went all around and sprayed it at each of our backyards.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 09:57:49 am »

Tulsa County will come spray...

http://www.tulsa-health.org/environmental-health/mosquito-control

The more calls they get from a neighborhood, the faster the come out and spray. If you can get three or four people on one block to call, they will be out the very next day.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 10:00:48 am »

Tulsa is spraying to kill mosquitoes. I think they've found West Nile virus too, so spraying is a good idea. I'm merely looking forward to colder temperatures, though in reality, fall mosquitoes are more aggressive than their summer cousins.

It's sad that mosquito spraying also wipes out the fireflies.  In a few weeks the mosquitoes are back but no more fireflies.

Frog pond, anyone?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 10:13:36 am »

Eliminate all sources of standing water and make sure your gutters are cleaned out......

zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 12:48:56 pm »

Is this spraying done by the county or city? We live in Tulsa County.(not city limits)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 01:41:50 pm »

Is this spraying done by the county or city? We live in Tulsa County.(not city limits)

Typically the county does it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 09:41:12 am »

Was stung by my first mosquito of the season the other day, but more noticably, saw my first firefly last night.  Wasnt for sure at first because the glow color wasnt the typical green but more of an incandescent.

Does it seem early for this many insects?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 10:34:27 am »

Was stung by my first mosquito of the season the other day, but more noticably, saw my first firefly last night.  Wasnt for sure at first because the glow color wasnt the typical green but more of an incandescent.

Does it seem early for this many insects?

We got our first mosquito bites a week or so ago, too.  Last weekend was bad later in the evening.  Way too early for this kind of nonsense, as far as I am concerned!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 11:06:54 am »

So West Nile shows up again in Tulsa County at the fairgrounds.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/health/mosquito-tests-positive-for-west-nile-virus-tulsa-health-department/article_ecea96c0-072c-5520-b47a-8fce2362a5a5.html

Its almost as if people are bringing them there...

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 09:15:02 pm »

So West Nile shows up again in Tulsa County at the fairgrounds.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/health/mosquito-tests-positive-for-west-nile-virus-tulsa-health-department/article_ecea96c0-072c-5520-b47a-8fce2362a5a5.html

Its almost as if people are bringing them there...

They are attracted to speed humps....Watch out if you live near them...!!!

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 08:43:31 am »

The Tulsa County Health Department does the spraying and they respond County wide.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org