A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:06:08 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rent-a-cops made drug stops, cash seizures  (Read 8540 times)
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« on: July 23, 2013, 07:00:58 pm »

HINTON — After seizing more than $1 million in cash in drug stops this year, a district attorney has suspended further roadside busts by his task force because of growing criticism over a private company's participation.

Prosecutors have dropped all criminal cases arising from the drug stops, The Oklahoman was told. Some seized money is being returned. The attorney general's office is investigating one complaint some seized funds went missing.

“I'm shocked,” a Caddo County special judge said July 2.
The judge spoke at a hearing after learning the private company's owner pulled over a pregnant driver along Interstate 40 and questioned her even though he is not a state-certified law enforcement officer.

“For people to pull over people on I-40 without that license is shocking to me,” Special Judge David A. Stephens said.
The judge said he hoped Joe David, owner of Desert Snow LLC, wouldn't do it again.
“If you do, I hope to see you soon, wearing orange,” the judge said, referring to the color of jail clothes in Caddo County.

At issue is District Attorney Jason Hicks' decision to hire Desert Snow to do on-site training with his task force for a year.
He signed a one-of-its-kind contract in January to pay the Guthrie-based company 25 percent of any funds seized during actual training days. He agreed to pay the company 10 percent of funds seized by his task force on other days when the company trainers weren't present.

Most stops have been along a 21-mile stretch of I-40 in the rolling hills of Caddo County.
Sometimes, no drugs were found and no one was arrested, but task force officers took money found in the vehicles anyway after a drug-sniffing dog got excited.
Forfeited funds are split among the law enforcement agencies of the task force after Desert Snow is paid.

Hicks has paid the company more than $40,000 so far. The company could get another $212,000 off the largest seizure its officials participated in — the discovery of almost $850,000 in May.

“I think his intentions were good, but I don't think he thought it out,” said well-known defense attorney Irven Box, who represents a Colorado man charged with marijuana possession after being stopped for a cracked windshield.
Box said in no way should a private company be involved in drug stops when it gets paid from funds found on the stops.
“That … at least gives the appearance that these seizures are done for profit and not to protect the citizens,” he said.

In a lengthy interview Thursday, Hicks said he did nothing wrong.
“I believe I have done everything right,” he said.
He promised to review every civil money forfeiture case and every criminal case involving his task force.
“I understand the criticism. I understand the concern,” he said. “I have halted any activity on the highway by the interdiction unit pending my review … with the staff attorneys.”

Hicks was elected in 2010 as the district attorney for Grady, Stephens, Caddo and Jefferson counties.
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-da-halts-i-40-drug-stops-after-criticism/article/3864488
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 07:27:45 pm »

Sometimes, no drugs were found and no one was arrested, but task force officers took money found in the vehicles anyway after a drug-sniffing dog got excited.
Forfeited funds are split among the law enforcement agencies of the task force after Desert Snow is paid.

Surely these guys know that money travels from drug users to non drug users but still retains the smell of the drugs. This is just shakedown behavior.

onward...through the fog
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:31:24 pm »

Surely these guys know that money travels from drug users to non drug users but still retains the smell of the drugs. This is just shakedown behavior.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/ACLU_of_Oklahoma_seeks_investigation_into_Caddo_County/20130730_11_A10_OKLAHO129845
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 04:09:50 pm »

m

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:43:59 pm »

Porter Oklahoma has a dog that prevents bank robberies, or did.
http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Porter-City-Council-votes-to-disband-K-9-unit/bJ_XmnlBJEysCgMZ3-7nKQ.cspx

There must be more going on than meets the eye... maybe these people are all in on some highway roadblock forfeiture scheme, or they are the townsfolk in Blazing Saddles?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_prsgZnPMQg [/youtube]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:47:26 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:39:20 am »

Of course they know.  The law doesn't enter into this in any way, shape or form.  You got it dead on - shakedown.

But no....Oklahoma isn't a laughingstock....!

Mary Failin' --- would say, "I just can't understand why more major companies won't come to Oklahoma...or why tourism doesn't do better...or blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...."

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:40:54 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 11:32:00 am »

Porter Oklahoma has a dog that prevents bank robberies, or did.
http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Porter-City-Council-votes-to-disband-K-9-unit/bJ_XmnlBJEysCgMZ3-7nKQ.cspx

There must be more going on than meets the eye... maybe these people are all in on some highway roadblock forfeiture scheme, or they are the townsfolk in Blazing Saddles?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_prsgZnPMQg [/youtube]

Thanks for the belly laugh. I love that movie. So many good one liners.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 12:22:40 pm »

Thanks for the belly laugh. I love that movie. So many good one liners.

Such a classic Hollywood comedy, back when people could still laugh at themselves and not take offense at race or ethnic-related humor.  Mel Brooks is a true master of comedy.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 12:35:58 pm »

Such a classic Hollywood comedy, back when people could still laugh at themselves and not take offense at race or ethnic-related humor.  Mel Brooks is a true master of comedy.

Oh they took offense big time.  There just wasn't enough time in the evening news to cover it.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 12:07:08 pm »

This money forfeiture has been going on since the 1990's. Drug dogs are trained to sniff out money along with drugs. The USSC said it's A-OK to do. The best plan- don't travel with alot of cash.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 04:26:49 pm »

This money forfeiture has been going on since the 1990's. Drug dogs are trained to sniff out money along with drugs. The USSC said it's A-OK to do. The best plan- don't travel with alot of cash.

Let me guess, if the Supreme Court said it was OK to stuff your sausage in your neighbor's mail slot without his consent, you'd call it macaroni?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 04:52:21 pm »

You draw the strangest conclusions. How about coins? Checkbooks? Credit cards? They can all have residue and get the dog a pointin'. Probably best just not to travel.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 05:43:22 pm »

I'm staying home!  ....when I die....

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 06:39:23 pm »

Civil forfeitures should be illegal. If I'm not convicted, or even charged with a crime - why does the government get to take my property and I have the burden to get it back?  That's not America.

Better yet is when civil forfeiture is used as blackmail. You can either keep your property AND we will charge you with narco trafficking and put your kids with DHS immediately... or sign here and we will keep your property and call it even.  Happens every day.

The war on drugs has just become a profit center.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 06:55:44 pm »

Civil forfeitures should be illegal. If I'm not convicted, or even charged with a crime - why does the government get to take my property and I have the burden to get it back?  That's not America.

The war on drugs has just become a profit center.

First, where have you been all this time??  Yeah...that is America!

And second, the war on drugs was specifically designed as a profit center - starting back in the late 1800's - and before!  The Boxer Rebellion is probably the earliest event that many people have actually heard a little bit about - that war that was fought to force China to accept opium distribution in country from the participants....England, US, etc.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org