A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:39:13 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Center of the Universe Festival  (Read 10820 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 09:43:04 am »

Downtown was packed last night, Traffic was really bad. In downtown Tulsa, at night. Think on that. What a change from 10 years ago.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 10:39:53 am »

Downtown was packed last night, Traffic was really bad. In downtown Tulsa, at night. Think on that. What a change from 10 years ago.

But Swake, haven't you heard?  All the cool people think downtown sucks, so it must be true!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 10:44:16 am »

Not bad for an over-rated downtown entertainment district. Arena was active, Blue Dome was a little slow.

The crowds were very young with sprinklings of boomers and gen-x'ers. We walked from the Cains, across Brady, across the tracks over to Blue Dome by McNellies. Never felt any danger, saw any craziness and saw little security presence.They were there, just not overpowering.That bodes well for the future of downtown.

onward...through the fog
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 02:49:51 pm »

Well, our weekend sucked lol.  Seems to be the pattern when there is a festival or event in another part of downtown, our area is dead as a doornail.  We had around 10 people in our shop... on a Saturday.  Saturday is usually one of our busiest days/evenings pulling in around 60-80+ people and our income unfortunately reflected that.  Friday, was super slow as well.  We thought of having a booth at the Festival but the price was too high (would have to sell $700 just to reach the break even point.  We can do that if we plan for it but that might be hard for a lot of artist type booths. ).  Will try to do a booth next year and just close the shop and have a sign on it (Gone to the Center of The Universe) lol.  But will have to make sure we have enough of the kind of product that that crowd might buy.  It is interesting to see how events in one area can cannibalize business from other areas. But it makes perfect sense, Why would you go to our part of downtown when all the action is in another?  But when you hear the news say "Looks like it was a great boon to downtown restaurants and businesses."  Well... not all of them, some of them were hurt.  Perhaps we will return the favor when the Deco District has Chalkfest in Sept  Wink   

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 02:51:11 pm »

Ummm not all of downtown lol.  Slower than usual in other parts.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 03:44:24 pm »

Ummm not all of downtown lol.  Slower than usual in other parts.

Yeah, I ran into the owner of the Rusty Crane at the festival and he said they were pretty slow over at his place. We ate at The Tavern and they were pretty slow inside but that was close to 10.

I will say, I got a room $100 at the Fairfield and it was just about perfect and a great time. Ok Go had a great show and a good crowd. We didn't really watch Neon Trees but they had a huge crowd.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 08:00:13 am »

Enjoy the climb.  Do you get to ride back down too?  I remember seeing a bunch of "bicyclists" coasting down Haleakala on Maui.  Looked like fun.  Well, except for the pace guy keeping everyone from getting killed by going too fast.

I've done the ride down Haleakala.  IIRC, it was about 39 miles, 37 of that was coasting.  That was before disc brakes were developed for bikes, which are still mainly only used on mountain, cyclocross (hybrid of mountain & road), and touring hybrids though it's touted as the next great thing for road bikes. They had drum brakes on the bikes as you would have burned up rubber pads pretty quickly.  It was an interesting study in aerodynamics, tuck in and you'd fly past other riders, sit up and it was like deploying a parachute. 

Highest speed my computer recorded Saturday at Cavanal was 45.1 MPH on one of the descents.  The road is a little rough in areas and there's some spots with loose asphalt and gravel, as well as many switchbacks.  It was wise to keep the speed in check.  It was nice and cool with a little rain and lots of cloud cover. Quite unusual for late July!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 12:28:07 pm »

Yeah, I ran into the owner of the Rusty Crane at the festival and he said they were pretty slow over at his place. We ate at The Tavern and they were pretty slow inside but that was close to 10.

I was at the Crane at 12:30 for Klondike 5, there was a good crowd then.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 01:06:24 pm »

Cavanal Hill. The tallest Hill in the World. Nice

Speaking of "Carnival" Hill.  (I had to search for "hill" to find this thread)
for some reason this is news:
http://www.newson6.com/story/22921622/woman-grandson-found-safe-after-spending-night-on-leflore-county-hill
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org