A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:09:11 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Center of the Universe Festival  (Read 10888 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: July 19, 2013, 12:23:22 pm »

Is anyone going to this?

I would really like to go tonight and see One Republic. But the possibility of a mass amount of people trying to crowd around the little Guthrie Green is kind of off putting.

http://centeroftheuniversefestival.com/

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 12:34:03 pm »

My wife is intent on us going tonite. I was there last night and it is going to be very cool. I especially like what they are doing with laser lights and the Universe logo projected onto the intersections. Streets blocked off will mean lots of room for humans but I doubt all of the 40,000 expected will be there at one time.

The Greens stage is at one end of the district and the other stage is over by SoundPony so the crowds will be spread out. I am excited.

Of course as Guido often points out..."the downtown entertainment district is way over blown"  Cheesy

onward...through the fog
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 12:58:15 pm »

I walked around over lunch and I this bustling over there.  Stages. Food trucks. Kiosks. Venders. Pop up water park.  Really busy place.

I plan on going, pending wife and company approval.

/isn't Guido that south Tulsa guy that doesn't come downtown to be entertained?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:47:48 pm »

We are going to the Shock tonight but will go tomorrow. My wife is a really big OK Go fan.

They have the coolest videos.

This might be the best ever
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w[/youtube]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 01:50:15 pm by swake » Logged
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:51:05 pm »

My wife is a really big OK Go fan.

They have the coolest videos.

This might be the best ever
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w[/youtube]

They are all shot with one camera continuously. Very hard to do and cool.

Power is nothing till you use it.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 02:01:57 pm »

I like this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAAsCNK7RA

and this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJKythlXAIY&list=PL0FB9262CF878A34A

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 02:15:39 pm »

I walked around over lunch and I this bustling over there.  Stages. Food trucks. Kiosks. Venders. Pop up water park.  Really busy place.

I plan on going, pending wife and company approval.

/isn't Guido that south Tulsa guy that doesn't come downtown to be entertained?

Guido doesn't do "districts"

I'd entertained the idea of going, but getting up at 4am to go do climbing repeats on Cavanal Hill near Poteau dictates otherwise.  I need to quit entering ridiculous bike races.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 03:20:38 pm »

I'd entertained the idea of going, but getting up at 4am to go do climbing repeats on Cavanal Hill near Poteau dictates otherwise.  I need to quit entering ridiculous bike races.

Sounds like it's about time for another Burnco lunch....  Shocked

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 03:22:27 pm »

Cavanal Hill. The tallest Hill in the World. Nice

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 03:24:22 pm »

Sounds like it's about time for another Burnco lunch....  Shocked

Not for another four weeks, then all bets are off Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 03:26:49 pm »

I get to climb it six times tomorrow and eight times next Saturday on my mountain bike.  I've never seen it, I hear I'm in for a lot of, ahem, fun.

It's about the only place in this region you can get 2000 feet of climbing in one stretch.  That's still about 1300 feet short of the longest single climb I have to do at Leadville, but anything helps...especially the O2 down here Wink

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 08:29:50 pm »

I forget, how many feet short of being a mountain is it?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 08:42:19 pm »

I forget, how many feet short of being a mountain is it?

I think a mountain qualifies at 2000 ft.  I believe it's within 200 of it.  I keep getting conflicting data.  Some places say the gain is 1750 or so, others say 1950+.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 09:00:05 pm »

I think a mountain qualifies at 2000 ft.  I believe it's within 200 of it.  I keep getting conflicting data.  Some places say the gain is 1750 or so, others say 1950+.

Enjoy the climb.  Do you get to ride back down too?  I remember seeing a bunch of "bicyclists" coasting down Haleakala on Maui.  Looked like fun.  Well, except for the pace guy keeping everyone from getting killed by going too fast.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 11:50:40 pm »

Well, I was wrong. There were fire marshall estimates of 50,000 people in attendance at the One Republic performance at the Cox stage by Cains tonite.

They were really great, the skyline with the moon and clouds was gorgeous and the whole festival seems pretty smooth for a first time event.

We parked in the Blue Dome area with no difficulty.

onward...through the fog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org