A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:01:20 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Death Valley 135 Mile Race  (Read 9609 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 12:40:59 pm »

You've never been to SD in the summer.

Yes I been there in summer and it's warm, but the season is short, winters are long & harsh. I was only in the SE corner of the state, I went to Sioux Falls and we drove down to Vermillion and went to Clay County Park on the Missouri River, that is some park- and beach- the water is full of whirlpools and eddies. They had some sort of little dock jutting out into the water and about 10 feet away there was a big whirlpool in the water. I just stayed by the shore and kept clear of those things in the water. Dunno how deep the water  was or what was causing all those eddies and whirlpools, but I didn't want to mess around with 'em. My guess is some underwater rock formation was causing all those whirlpools.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 12:43:22 pm »

Are you sure it is half? Did someone measure it?

I would have estimated the 130 degree weather would have been at least 60 to 61 percent or more of the challenge.  
It could be- and you may be correct but the 135 miles is also a big chunk of the percentage. That's like running from Tulsa to Joplin, MO or Tulsa to OKC plus kick in 35 more miles

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 12:58:43 pm »

It could be- and you may be correct but the 135 miles is also a big chunk of the percentage. That's like running from Tulsa to Joplin, MO or Tulsa to OKC plus kick in 35 more miles

I know a shortcut.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 01:06:26 pm »

Yes I been there in summer and it's warm, but the season is short,

Western SD regularly hits 100+ in the summer.

Death Valley isn't over 100+ all year.  I'm sure you could go give that run a shot in a cooler month.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 01:11:45 pm »

Everyone claims their race is the most extreme.  The Leadville Trail 100 run (the week after the 104 mile mountain bike race I'm doing again this year) is one of the highest if not the highest Ultra run in the world.  It's a 30 hour cut-off on that one.  It goes from downtown Leadville at a mere 10,200 ft. to the abandoned mining town of Winfield and back via Hope pass at 12,600 feet.  Try catching your breath as you summit that on a run.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 12:12:13 pm »

Yeah but there is something speical about running when it's 130 degrees. That really pushes the envelope and tests what your really made out of. I heard they have a race event in the Saraha Desert  and they claim it's the tuffest race around.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 10:00:27 pm »

Are you sure it is half? Did someone measure it?

I would have estimated the 130 degree weather would have been at least 60 to 61 percent or more of the challenge.  

64.375%

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 10:07:31 pm »

Western SD regularly hits 100+ in the summer.

Death Valley isn't over 100+ all year.  I'm sure you could go give that run a shot in a cooler month.

December and January are amazing there!  Lows at freezing, highs in 60's, sometimes 70's.  Absolutely amazing place.  Sliding rocks.  Scotty's Castle.  Lodges!  Old borax mining equipment - wooden wagons abandoned in the 1880's that are still intact - could be used with a little work, they are so well preserved.  Amazing vistas, colors.  Campground.

South Dakota at Sturgis time!  Yay, team!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 03:35:45 pm »

December and January are amazing there!  Lows at freezing, highs in 60's, sometimes 70's.  Absolutely amazing place.  Sliding rocks.  Scotty's Castle.  Lodges!  Old borax mining equipment - wooden wagons abandoned in the 1880's that are still intact - could be used with a little work, they are so well preserved.  Amazing vistas, colors.  Campground.

South Dakota at Sturgis time!  Yay, team!!

We visited parts of death valley back in 1984 and around the furnace creek area. Saw the Borax wagons, they all had signs on them saying things like  "Do not climb"  and  "Stay Off Of Wagons". It was gorgeous in May but cool, deep blue sky. We rented a car from Las Vegas and drove there. The area we  saw was like a park so I don't think the Borax wagons were abandoned, unless they built up the park around the abandoned wagons. There may be other areas that have Borax wagons too.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:38:37 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 03:42:44 pm »

We went to Las Vegas a lot during the 1980's in July & August, and many times you'd see a runner or cyclist going down highway 160 into the desert, or sometimes even on highway 95 but that was a 4-lane road. In Las Vegas in the morning you'll see a lot of runners out in the morning jogging down the strip, and "running in place" while waiting for a traffic light to change.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 08:54:05 pm »

Another cool thing about Death Valley - best place I have found so far to watch the Milky Way (galaxy, not the candy bar).  Even better than Tioga Pass coming out of Yosemite!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 08:56:42 pm »

Another cool thing about Death Valley - best place I have found so far to watch the Milky Way (galaxy, not the candy bar).  Even better than Tioga Pass coming out of Yosemite!

Dark!  Very, very dark at night with no moon....Experience the sensation of seeing late at night by starlight, rather than moonlight!!  Similar, but much reduced visibility.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 03:00:52 pm »

Death Valley is also a good place to watch the Milky Way candy bar- (not the galaxy). Moon or no moon. Workz for me!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org