A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:23:22 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Philbrook Downtown  (Read 3207 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: June 14, 2013, 08:54:02 am »

Are any of you going to the "Free" admission opening this weekend?
Starting today 12-9pm. 116 E Brady St.

I would if I wasn't so dang cultured already.  Grin

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:34:05 am »

I'm cultured

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 01:34:24 pm »

I stopped by over lunch.  Maybe a 30 minute walk through.

Nice "industrial modern" space.  Concrete floors.  White walls exhibition walls divided into maybe 5 separate spaces (or as is currently displayed, 3 larger spaces - one currently empty [the lobby near the stairwell]).  Exposed new concrete columns.  It doesn't look like the thing can be changed around too much. 

The work spaces are blocked off behind a glass door, you cannot get to them.  They occupy ~ 1/3 of the second floor.   Hard to see the place being used much for "hosting" anything other than small-medium sized art openings.

The ground floor is pilfered contemporary art from the Philbrook.  The upstairs is pilfered Native America art.  I don't think there is anything new on display.

I'm glad it is there and the space was very well built out.  But it isn't unique IMHO.  Looks like every other re-purposed "industrial modern" art gallery/museum I've seen.  If they just use it to exhibit recycled pieces from the main collection my visits will quickly dwindle and stop (I have no idea what their plans are).

The TU gallery next door changes about once a month.  Often with student stuff, which can be neat.  The AHHA appears to be monthly, with their new exhibit on the design and construction of the AHHA pretty neat (We asked about moving the power lines, the meeting with AEP went like this:   "Can we move those power lines?"  AEP:  "Sure, for $2,000,000 dollars"  ::Meeting over:Smiley.  I assume Philbrook realizes the competition and I hope they relish it.  Having three non-commercial galleries competing for interest could be great (throw in the non-profit glass blowing AND the non-profit TAC gallery and there is 2 blocks of serious public interest art!). 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
davideinstein
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 02:44:08 pm »

I may stop by Sunday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org