A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:15:02 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Tough Time!  (Read 15993 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: June 04, 2013, 10:29:25 am »

It's that time again:

-Friday night: Fast criterium racing in the Blue Dome

-Saturday: Well-supported rides of 27, 40, 68, 109, or 127 miles on Saturday and crit racing in the Brady District. Finish and ride after-party is at Guthrie Green for the first time

-Sunday: World-famous Cry-Baby Hill is the epicenter of the cycling world during the Riverview Criterium on Sunday afternoon. Also road rides and the "Townie" ride for families.  Road rides are: 35, 63, & 104 miles through Tulsa, Washington & Osage Counties. Finish for the road rides is on Riverside Drive north of the 21st St. bridge.

Still time to register:

http://www.tulsatough.com

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:46:26 pm »

You and the Mrs going to be in the regular area Friday night?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 03:58:04 pm »

You and the Mrs going to be in the regular area Friday night?

Indeed, and our usual place on Sunday afternoon.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 05:35:58 pm »

The wife and I are registered.  I had to step down my planned ride to get her to participate and will slow my pace to ride WITH her.  But it will be awesome!

See you Friday (and Saturday, and damn well Sunday).

Still planning my "outfit" for Sunday.  To go all in, or not. . .

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:51:23 am »

Top three weekend of the year in Tulsa.  What would you rank ahead of it?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 07:55:06 am »

Toss up with Oktoberfest and BDAF/Mayfest weekend, RDJ.

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 08:03:47 am »

I would put Tulsa Tough as the top weekend because of its sheer awesomeness.

This weekend is going to be crazy busy downtown.  Tulsa Tough, Lion King started its one month run this week at the PAC, the Drillers are in town, the Friday night Brady Art Crawl, and all the usual activities at the Guthrie Green.  If you're not regularly visiting downtown, you are not really experiencing Tulsa.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:20:58 am »

I got excited too thinking we might have a good weekend at the shop.  Then looked at the maps and saw that none of the routes came down Boston or nearby, was like "drats!".  If an event is within a block or two we get people stopping in, but if it is further away it actually seems to drain down our numbers.  The Pride parade and festival last week was like that.  Saw more people out, but you could tell they were quickly, determinedly, walking past on their way towards something else.  This last week was really odd regardless.  Slower than usual but I chalk it up to the weather, or threat of bad weather.  Even thought downtown was ok much of the time, I think just hearing about the chance of storms kept people away.  Odd thing was, yesterday, a Tuesday which is usually reeeeally slow, we got a lot of people in and sold about as much as we did all last week combined.  Go figure!?  Will be interesting to see how this weekend does for us.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 10:48:44 am »

Where is Crybaby Hill?
rebound
City Father

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 11:22:37 am »

Where is Crybaby Hill?

http://www.tulsatough.com/races/riverview-criterium

Basically the corner of Lawton and 13th.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=corner+of+Lawton+and+13th,+tulsa,+OK&hl=en&ll=36.145083,-96.001453&spn=0.009409,0.018647&sll=36.148514,-95.992656&sspn=0.018817,0.037293&hnear=W+13th+St+%26+S+Lawton+Ave,+Tulsa,+Oklahoma+74127&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A

I raced it last year, and even early in the day it was already getting rowdy.  Unfortunately, I'll be in Wichita this weekend at my son's basketball tourney, so won't be able to take in any of Tulsa Tough, and I am bummed.  It's a great time.  Drink a beer for me and cheer the riders on.

More Cowbell!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:25:48 am by rebound » Logged

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 12:42:28 pm »

Where is Crybaby Hill?

Just go downtown and be real quiet..  You will hear it.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 08:49:12 pm »

I'm planning to take race photos again this Sunday.  I'm planning to dress conservatively - by Crybaby Hill standards, anyway - with the loudest Hawaiian shirt in the closet, plaid shorts, a white Panama, and the de riguer Converse All Stars.

It's always a good time.  This is from two years ago:

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 08:08:33 am »

That would be Josh Gifford of Sound Pony on the right in the photo, one of the people who is credited with the term: "Crybaby Hill", and quite responsible as a source of the revelry which originally started there.

MC and I are doing the grand fondos both days, no idea what sort of condition I will be in after a cumulative 213 miles from Saturday & Sunday, but we will be there.  I'm not trying for the Deuce Challenge so hoping to do 5:30'ish each day which would get me back to Riverview by 1pm.

davideinstein
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 03:37:22 pm »

Going tonight!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 03:39:27 pm »

Going tonight!

We will be around 2nd & Elgin all night.  Look for me, I'll be wearing some sort of cycling related shirt Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org