A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:30:17 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Unemployment Plummeting OKC Lowest in The Country  (Read 50083 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2013, 08:37:45 am »

You weren't even living here when Henry was governor.  So how would you know?

I still don't believe you live here now...and wouldn't claim you.

Wow.
Since 2009

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2013, 08:38:07 am »

Since 2009

You still haven't proven it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2013, 08:41:18 am »

You still haven't proven it.
I have nothing to prove- Ask me if I care what you believe- I told you where I live and you don't believe it and I can't help that. Believe  what you want means nothing to me.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2013, 08:41:49 am »

I have nothing to prove- Ask me if I care what you believe- I told you where I live and you don't believe it and I can't help that. Believe  what you want means nothing to me.

Yep, what I thought.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2013, 08:48:52 am »

I know people who worked at that bus plant. I hope you get a chance to work there some day.

I don't really care where you live physically, mentally you're in a bad place.

onward...through the fog
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2013, 01:44:38 pm »

I know people who worked at that bus plant. I hope you get a chance to work there some day.

I don't really care where you live physically, mentally you're in a bad place.
There are people in other states that can't find any work at all, we're doing good in Oklahoma. People in those hard hit depressed economic states would die to get a job at the Bus plant, our Sunday paper is full of jobs. The national economy can be fixed and reversed  by doing the same policys that our governor is doing on the state level, lower taxes and get rid of choking regulations and get gov't off of people's backs- that's why the national economy is so bad Obama's policies are killing jobs and the national economy. As for tax cuts on the so called rich people those are the people who make the jobs, if you raise taxes on the rich it won't make a poor persons paycheck any bigger, but it will choke the economy and put jobs at risk. The next time you need a job ask a poor person for a job, I have not known of any poor person who hired anyone or who made a single job. Oklahoma's economy is booming and that can't be denied, unemployment in the state has plummeted since Henry left office. Gov. Fallin must be doing something right.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2013, 01:59:29 pm »

Cutting taxes increases the income into the state because that grows the economy  and helps it expand. Low taxes attract more jobs and companies to come to Oklahoma, they hire people who pay taxes and buy things and the cycle feeds off it's self. The more goods and services people buy the more jobs are made and you have  more people paying taxes, and state income keeps goes up. Raising taxes does just the oppiset, it chases out business and companies from the state, chokes the economy &   people have no work and pay no income taxes so the state has to raise taxes to make up for the loss of revenue and then more jobs & people flee so you end up with a state like Michigan or Ohio with skyhigh taxes and no jobs. Ohio cities even have city income taxes and some school districts in state of Ohio have school income taxes on top of all the other taxes. Ohio is one of only two states that allow for a school income tax. I lived in Columbus, Ohio and I paid a 2% city income tax, perhaps it's even more today.  That would be as if city of Tulsa had a city income tax and you had to file a federal tax form, state tax form and a city income tax form.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:04:20 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2013, 02:33:40 pm »

There are people in other states that can't find any work at all, we're doing good in Oklahoma. People in those hard hit depressed economic states would die to get a job at the Bus plant, our Sunday paper is full of jobs. The national economy can be fixed and reversed  by doing the same policys that our governor is doing on the state level, lower taxes and get rid of choking regulations and get gov't off of people's backs- that's why the national economy is so bad Obama's policies are killing jobs and the national economy. As for tax cuts on the so called rich people those are the people who make the jobs, if you raise taxes on the rich it won't make a poor persons paycheck any bigger, but it will choke the economy and put jobs at risk. The next time you need a job ask a poor person for a job, I have not known of any poor person who hired anyone or who made a single job. Oklahoma's economy is booming and that can't be denied, unemployment in the state has plummeted since Henry left office. Gov. Fallin must be doing something right.

Please.  Stop.Watching.Fox.News.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2013, 04:19:23 pm »

The next time you need a job ask a poor person for a job, I have not known of any poor person who hired anyone or who made a single job. Oklahoma's economy is booming and that can't be denied, unemployment in the state has plummeted since Henry left office. Gov. Fallin must be doing something right.

That's a crock of bull.  I was a poor waif that made my own job and I know plenty of other entrepreneurs who have as well... and then became successful enough to hire people. So there! lol.  

One could say that Oklahoma's economy is booming, but there are a lot of places that seem to be doing much better, and it's not just a few people or (oil and gas) companies pushing up the average while the rest aren't doing as well.  

Low unemployment can be a good thing... but it is not the whole picture.  For example, in some places the economy is doing quite well and the "desirability" of the area is high, such that the influx of new people is greater than the pace of job creation, BUT that doesn't mean that the economy, money making potential and opportunity is worse than here.  Quite the contrary, could be better.  Which leads me to wonder "If Tulsa's economy is doing so well... why is the population growth practically stagnant?"  Heck, one might say that you have that impressive low unemployment because there are jobs (quality jobs?) chasing few people (Has that equated to an equally impressive higher than average median incomes or equally impressive lower poverty rate?).  Low growth stifles opportunity for those of us here who want to grow our businesses. Another side of that same coin is I was reading that when many employers look to move to a city, a major factor they consider is it's available workforce.  A slow growing or stagnantly growing workforce can be a detriment to that.    

Just some thoughts.  Perhaps it's my "the grass appears greener" when I look at other places that seem to really be booming compared to Tulsa.  People say that "well at least we don't have the booms and busts of such and such a place"  but I don't know if that is such a bad thing if over all the average is still better, faster, growth? Looking around at some of those "boom and bust" cities like Austin for instance. They were growing really fast compared to us before the recession (and we looked on jealously) , yet struggled more than we did during during the recession (and we patted ourselves on the back for a short while), yet they have already made up what was lost and have moved on past again, and are growing faster. Again, over all doing better than we are I would say.  Interesting to note, it appears, that while their over all economy is growing faster... the unemployment rate has also been inching up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:24:16 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2013, 09:23:08 am »

Mary Fallin has Oklahoma doing very well, but still Oklahoma is tied into the national economy and as long as the feds and Obama keep choking the national economy Oklahoma can't be as good as it can. The EPA is coming down with still more regulations for power plants and our gasoline. The EPA wants to increase the ethonal content of our gasoline from the current 10% to 15% and that will damage many cars, the EPA plans to ban the sale of pure gasoline. Federal policies  like that choke the economy all over. The national U-6 unemployment rate is still around 14%. Obama, Democrats, and federal agencys like the EPA keep the economy down like a wet blanket. Mary Fallin can only do so much, still Oklahoma is far better than other states.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2013, 09:31:54 am »

wow
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2013, 09:43:16 am »

wow

Just a big ol' bucket full of "take that chicken back behind the barn and have his way with it" crazy huh?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2013, 09:51:38 am »

Mary Fallin has Oklahoma doing very well, but still Oklahoma is tied into the national economy and as long as the feds and Obama keep choking the national economy Oklahoma can't be as good as it can. The EPA is coming down with still more regulations for power plants and our gasoline. The EPA wants to increase the ethonal content of our gasoline from the current 10% to 15% and that will damage many cars, the EPA plans to ban the sale of pure gasoline. Federal policies  like that choke the economy all over. The national U-6 unemployment rate is still around 14%. Obama, Democrats, and federal agencys like the EPA keep the economy down like a wet blanket. Mary Fallin can only do so much, still Oklahoma is far better than other states.

Leaving aside the argument about if ethanol damages cars, how does ethanol harm the economy? That would have us shift from oil, of which 40% is imported, often from places that don’t like us very much, to US grown corn. 

We import about 40% of our oil, currently 7.412 million barrels per day, with a price point of $108 per barrel as of today. That means we are sending $294 Billion a year to places like Venezuela, Russia and Saudi Arabia. If moving to E-15 lowers our imports by 5% that means we are sending $15 billion dollars less each year to those places and spending that money on corn from American farmers.

That helps lower the cost of oil overall (supply/demand), helps to heal our trade deficit and helps American farmers. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:03 am »

Leaving aside the argument about if ethanol damages cars, how does ethanol harm the economy? That would have us shift from oil, of which 40% is imported, often from places that don’t like us very much, to US grown corn. 

We import about 40% of our oil, currently 7.412 million barrels per day, with a price point of $108 per barrel as of today. That means we are sending $294 Billion a year to places like Venezuela, Russia and Saudi Arabia. If moving to E-15 lowers our imports by 5% that means we are sending $15 billion dollars less each year to those places and spending that money on corn from American farmers.

That helps lower the cost of oil overall (supply/demand), helps to heal our trade deficit and helps American farmers major conglomerates like ADM and Cargill who have lots of lobbying money. 

FIFY

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2013, 10:48:23 am »

FIFY

Better them than Rosneft, Aramco or PDVSA, don’t you think?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org