A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:46:40 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone been the Prhyme RECENTLY?  (Read 12894 times)
Joey
Citizen

« on: May 28, 2013, 09:38:57 am »

Going out for steak this week (someone else's dollar) and trying to decide between Mahogany and Pryhme. The reviews for Pryhme were very mixed when it first opened.  Someone people said it was great some demanded their money back. The mixed reviews on Urbanspoon reflect this as well.  I'm wondering if the restaurant has become more consistent and what the general consensus is now.  I've been to Mahogany several times but never Pryhme and I don't want to disappoint my out of town friends.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:10:06 am »

I have been a couple of times and had good experiences.  Most of the people I know who have been had either an extremely good or an extremely bad experience.  Mahogany is probably the safer bet since you are entertaining clients.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:45:14 am »

I've had good experience at Prhyme. Their risotto is amaze-balls.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 11:19:59 am »

I would choose Mahogany as well.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:33:30 am »

I've heard more and more positive reviews of Prhyme last few weeks.  The space isn't very big, so make a reservation and expect it to be a bit noisy.  Also, don't get the most expensive steak, get the cheaper ones and you'll have a better experience.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 11:49:54 am »

Have any of you ever been to the Spudder?

It is at 50th and Sheridan and has a pretty good steak. The decor is a collection of the oil business and the prices are mostly reasonable for a quality steak. They are only open for dinner and closed Sundays.

Menu and pictures are here...

http://www.thespudder.com/

Here is a video when the Man v Food guy went there...

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/tulsas-porterhouse-steak-15289

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 11:57:06 am »

Have any of you ever been to the Spudder?

It is at 50th and Sheridan and has a pretty good steak. The decor is a collection of the oil business and the prices are mostly reasonable for a quality steak. They are only open for dinner and closed Sundays.

Menu and pictures are here...

http://www.thespudder.com/

Here is a video when the Man v Food guy went there...

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/tulsas-porterhouse-steak-15289

Spudder is more of a family place.  I wouldn't take clients or anyone I wanted to impress there.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 12:13:42 pm »

I was turned off by Mahogany. First of all, it is a chain and I prefer locally owned. They are owned by the same people who own Krispy Kreme, Louie's and Redrock Canyon. Secondly, I was surprised that my $40 steak came with no sides. Side items prices ranged from $7 to $13 extra.

Finally, I thought the service was overpowering. When our party of four received our steaks from our two waiters, four extra waiters whipped out flashlights to shine on our steaks and waited for each of us to cut into them and let them know if they were cooked to our liking. It came off to me as odd and kinda creepy.

With a couple of drinks and tip our bill was $400. 

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:27:38 pm »

I was turned off by Mahogany. First of all, it is a chain and I prefer locally owned. They are owned by the same people who own Krispy Kreme, Louie's and Redrock Canyon. Secondly, I was surprised that my $40 steak came with no sides. Side items prices ranged from $7 to $13 extra.

Finally, I thought the service was overpowering. When our party of four received our steaks from our two waiters, four extra waiters whipped out flashlights to shine on our steaks and waited for each of us to cut into them and let them know if they were cooked to our liking. It came off to me as odd and kinda creepy.

I hadn't thought of The Spudder in forever.  It's sort of hidden and they rarely do any advertising.  I suppose they've got that much of a loyal following they really don't need to advertise.

I've never tried Mahogany's or Flemmings.  MC has and she assures me what we grill at home is on par with either place and we'd be wasting money by going to either one.  Either I do that great on the grill or she's just great at making me feel good about myself.  A place I do enjoy is McGills if I'm going to get a steak when I'm out.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 04:59:01 pm »

That's well above my threshold of enjoyment for a steak dinner.

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 05:12:07 pm »

Steak coming with no sides is pretty standard at premium steakhouses.  It appears to be the same at Phryme, whose prices are comparable to (if not higher than) Mahogany.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:17:01 pm by Oil Capital » Logged

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 01:23:43 am »

Have you thought about the sizzler...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6o5NweFWjAw

Of your two, Mahogany. They have an appetizer sampler that is outstanding. I would also consider going with Flemings or even Bluestone (I'm a southie)

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 06:16:38 am »

Have you thought about the sizzler...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6o5NweFWjAw

Of your two, Mahogany. They have an appetizer sampler that is outstanding. I would also consider going with Flemings or even Bluestone (I'm a southie)

The lobster escargot at Mahogany will make you slap your mother with a brick!  I'm also partial to their wild mushrooms.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 07:28:55 am »

Premium steakhouses are ŕ la carte.  Mahogany, Phryme, Flemings, Ruth's Chris, Capitol Grill, Red Prime (OKC) just a few I've visited in last year or so that were all ŕ la carte.

The service you received is also fairly typical.

Yes, Mahogany is a "chain" with three locations owned by Hal Smith Restaurant Group originally based in Norman.  Their original concepts are Louie's, Charleston's, Redrock Canyon Grill, The Garage, Upper Crust, Hollie's Flatiron Steakhouse (which I believe was heavily damaged in last week's tornado), Hefner Grill, Boomerang Grille, Toby Keith's and a few others that I can't think of off top of my head.  Most of their concepts have less than five locations.  They are in process of opening a Kevin Durant signature restaurant in Bricktown.  They are the Krispy Kreme franchisee for this area.  I don't really consider Mahogany a chain, like I don't consider McNellie's a chain.  Hell, once the McNellie's opens up just around the corner they'll have more locations.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 07:57:37 am »

Premium steakhouses are ŕ la carte.  Mahogany, Phryme, Flemings, Ruth's Chris, Capitol Grill, Red Prime (OKC) just a few I've visited in last year or so that were all ŕ la carte.

The service you received is also fairly typical.

Yes, Mahogany is a "chain" with three locations owned by Hal Smith Restaurant Group originally based in Norman.  Their original concepts are Louie's, Charleston's, Redrock Canyon Grill, The Garage, Upper Crust, Hollie's Flatiron Steakhouse (which I believe was heavily damaged in last week's tornado), Hefner Grill, Boomerang Grille, Toby Keith's and a few others that I can't think of off top of my head.  Most of their concepts have less than five locations.  They are in process of opening a Kevin Durant signature restaurant in Bricktown.  They are the Krispy Kreme franchisee for this area.  I don't really consider Mahogany a chain, like I don't consider McNellie's a chain.  Hell, once the McNellie's opens up just around the corner they'll have more locations.

I believe he also owns and operates his own cattle ranches for his meat, in Oklahoma an Nebraska.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org