A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:53:09 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'M SORRY  (Read 8492 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

Re:
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 09:40:21 am »

The elementary schools I attended had in-ground shelters.
One had a tunnel system that was underneath the school (Topeka, KS)
Another had in-ground bunkers located outside the building (Ardmore, OK).

Not very feasible here in NE Oklahoma with the shallow limestone. At least cost prohibitive.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 10:04:14 am »

A friend of mine sent this over from an email that was sent out from Hertz..bravo to them on this

Once again, a devastating natural disaster has affected an area of the U.S. where Hertz has a major presence.   Yesterday, as I’m sure you’ve heard, a major tornado swept through the Oklahoma City area, including the town of Moore, resulting in many deaths, injuries and widespread property destruction.   While the Oklahoma City community has dealt with major disasters and proven its resilience time and again, they will appreciate our help in these early days.

Although it’s still early, it appears we have been fortunate because we are not aware of any deaths or serious injuries among our OKC colleagues or their immediate families. Some Hertz employees have had homes destroyed or severely damaged and we will help them any way we can.

Hertz is donating $100,000 to the American Red Cross to which state and local relief officials are directing private and corporate donors to optimize the distribution of relief funds and services.  

HERC has already started moving in equipment to assist with rescue and clean up efforts, and generators to supply electricity.  We have provided Oklahoma City officials with an inventory of our equipment they can utilize in their efforts.  RAC is bringing in hundreds of vehicles to support relief agencies and help out homeowners whose cars were damaged or destroyed in the storm. In our Oklahoma City facilities, the “Hertz in the Neighborhood” group is already organizing to assist our employees and throughout the area.

I know many of you will want to help out as well, just as so many Hertz employees assisted their colleagues in the northeast when Superstorm Sandy struck last fall.   We have been asked by the Mayor of Oklahoma City, Mick Cornett, to provide cash contributions through the Red Cross, rather than goods.   As a result, we are developing two options you may want to consider:  an employee assistance fund to support our colleagues affected by the tornado and a separate mechanism to support the community through the Red Cross.  Hertz will provide a $25,000 total match to both funds.  We will communicate the details later today.

Our prayers and thoughts go out to those in the greater Oklahoma City community who’ve lost family or friends, who are dealing with injuries, or who’ve had their homes destroyed or severely damaged.   Together we can make a difference in these terrible circumstances, and help accelerate the recovery and healing process.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:18:48 am by zstyles » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 10:14:14 am »

Not very feasible here in NE Oklahoma with the shallow limestone. At least cost prohibitive.

One story I heard yesterday - not sure if true or not since so much that was reported yesterday was "shoot from the hip" reporting - was that several of the kids were in a lower area (basement??) that got flooded at the school from the rain, and they ended up drowning....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 10:49:04 am »

Subsequent story has said there was no basement in the Park Towers school.

Whatever you do, don't read the comments section of the Tulsa World.  They are worse than we are.  Somehow the discussion devolved into Inhofe and Coburn being draft dodgers.  Roll Eyes

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 12:40:36 pm »

If I ever mocked stormgasms by our Oklahoma media. I am reading 23 children died in Moore. Please be wrong. Not a bucking thing funny about stormgasms right now.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It takes time to process after a tragedy and we are all in agreement that jokes about weathermen ain't funny right now.

You are a good person who cares about those who have less than you. You also see the heartbreak of the needy and do much to help.

If I didn't know better, I would swear you were becoming a liberal.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 01:44:57 pm »

Don't be so hard on yourself. It takes time to process after a tragedy and we are all in agreement that jokes about weathermen ain't funny right now.

You are a good person who cares about those who have less than you. You also see the heartbreak of the needy and do much to help.

If I didn't know better, I would swear you were becoming a liberal.

Not becoming a liberal...he's just kind of schizoid....

Roses are red....
  Violets are blue...
I'm schizophrenic...
  And so am I...!!

Actually, I think he is just a closet 'cream-puff' at heart....hard, crusty shell on the outside and a soft, squishy filling (feelings?) on the inside!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:47:42 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org