A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:21:59 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F That  (Read 5992 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: April 16, 2013, 09:01:32 am »

Is this really a big issue? I watched this story on at least two local news reports and now The Daily Mail has picked it up.
My first response was. He knew how people were going to interpret the tag and that was the point, shock value.
My second was. Why did the State issue it to begin with? back in the day when I actually applied and received vanity plates.
You had to list at least three or four choices, and they would decide which of you're submitted ones would be selected.
So Joe Schmoe here listed "F Cancr" and received it. He has Brain Cancer and now that his plate has been challenged by the very concerned Soccer Moms and the general public. His logic is. The F stands for "Fight" Wholly cow how'd we miss that one?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2309607/Brain-cancer-survivor-fights-F-Cancer-license-plate-state-officials-tell-remove-offensive.html

And on a side note. All you vanity plate people out there. What is the point of getting one where the only person who knows what it stands for is you and you're immediate family and friends? If I can't figure out what "IGGLF 1" means, then no one else can either.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:06:49 am »

What is the point of getting one where the only person who knows what it stands for is you and you're immediate family and friends?

Just to irritate people who think they should be able to figure it out.  I'm too cheap to get a vanity plate but if I were to get one, I might go for the irritation route.

Grin

JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:13:51 am »

saw the story and didn't realize that the plate was OK.  I have seen many questionable vanity plates that have went unquestioned.  A person I worked with had a corvette with the plate of "Pooh C"... Another I saw in line at Carls Jr said Crvxckr... it was a few years ago but I am pretty sure it said cervix checker in some fashion.

I am guessing these same people have no problem with the bibles use of damn or hell, and have read the vivid descriptions of loins like a horse and substantial seminations without batting an eyelash... because it is the good book.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:16:55 am by JCnOwasso » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:16:46 am »

There was a guy who sued OTC a couple of years back for not allowing "IAMGAY" or "IMGAY"

Turns out, that's how he made his living suing any and everyone, a very miserable person.  IIRC, the suit was dropped and he was found dead of an overdose of pain killers a few days after getting roughed up by the TPD when he was tossed out of a gay bar somewhere in Tulsa.

I always wanted a tag that read: 6ULDV8

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 10:40:10 am »

OK I'll bite. What does  6ULDV8 mean?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:44:20 am »

OK I'll bite. What does  6ULDV8 mean?

"Sixul devieight"....

Say it quickly...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 10:48:10 am »

I always wanted a tag that read: 6ULDV8

Sounds like a traffic stop waiting to happen.  Again and again and again....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 11:04:48 am »

Sounds like a traffic stop waiting to happen.  Again and again and again....

Especially if it was on a white creeper van with no windows.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 12:48:51 pm »

I had some vanity plates for a while "ARTSTUD"  I would occasionally look up in my rearview mirror and see people read the tag and laugh  Cheesy.  It was good fun lol. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 05:27:24 pm »

My Hemi Ram was C HEMI GO

If I'm not at the computer, you will currently see this GEEK AFK
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 02:37:54 am »

OK I'll bite. What does  6ULDV8 mean?
google it.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 08:05:07 am »

In the mid 90s I had a tag that said "Dolfan"
My truck had a team plate on the front. And Miami stickers on the back window.

My customer walks up to me while I was working and says. So you're a big Bob Dole fan? I looked at him and said who? He goes, Bob Dole and points at my tag. I shook my head and said no I'm a huge Miami Dolfan.
I let it expire and hung it on the garage wall at my house.

And I thought that was a easy one to get. Go figure.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 08:10:55 am »

In the mid 90s I had a tag that said "Dolfan"
My truck had a team plate on the front. And Miami stickers on the back window.

My customer walks up to me while I was working and says. So you're a big Bob Dole fan? I looked at him and said who? He goes, Bob Dole and points at my tag. I shook my head and said no I'm a huge Miami Dolfan.
I let it expire and hung it on the garage wall at my house.

And I thought that was a easy one to get. Go figure.

Welcome to Oklahoma.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Callahan
Citizen

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 01:40:49 am »

Think the website got overloaded after a mention on "The Tonight Show" but there is an orginazation in Canada called "FCancer"

http://www.letsfcancer.com/
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 12:21:35 pm »

...And I thought Nebraska was a hick state. Undecided

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org