A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:46:12 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Legislative Thread  (Read 21597 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 06:21:59 pm »

I will gladly exchange being a little dumber when it comes to the arts and Big Bird to reduce taxation. If you want Big Bird or the like, get a subscription to hulu or netflix, they might have it.  

Exactly.  Can you afford that 'hit'??

It's about time they got rid of professional football and basketball in the high schools and colleges...that would save a hundred times what getting rid of Big Bird would save, and raise the average IQ of the student body at the same time!

I also want them to stop fighting wasted wars and making me pay for it.  But since it's your buddies that are all about that, and guys like me will never be able to afford to buy Congress, I guess my kind of people are just screwed again...    Look out, Iran!!  The RWRE here is getting ready to drop the hammer!  Look to the west when Obama leaves office in 2017.

Oh, by the way...you do realize that there is lots of evidence that exposure to the arts - pretty much all kinds - raises the general level of academic performance and improves attendance - and leads to students to stay in school longer (fewer dropouts).  But hey, that wouldn't go well with the Failin' agenda of continued decline for Oklahoma students would it, now?   It really would be a tragedy for the RWRE if more people became better educated...what would happen to their "base" then??

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:27:18 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 10:06:23 pm »

Exactly.  Can you afford that 'hit'??

It's about time they got rid of professional football and basketball in the high schools and colleges...that would save a hundred times what getting rid of Big Bird would save, and raise the average IQ of the student body at the same time!

I also want them to stop fighting wasted wars and making me pay for it.  But since it's your buddies that are all about that, and guys like me will never be able to afford to buy Congress, I guess my kind of people are just screwed again...    Look out, Iran!!  The RWRE here is getting ready to drop the hammer!  Look to the west when Obama leaves office in 2017.

Oh, by the way...you do realize that there is lots of evidence that exposure to the arts - pretty much all kinds - raises the general level of academic performance and improves attendance - and leads to students to stay in school longer (fewer dropouts).  But hey, that wouldn't go well with the Failin' agenda of continued decline for Oklahoma students would it, now?   It really would be a tragedy for the RWRE if more people became better educated...what would happen to their "base" then??

AOX has apparently hijacked heroin's account again. Either that, or we need another intervention because apparently:

Calm down a bit. If you like paying the current tax rate, that's your choice. I do not, which his why I have no probs cutting out things I find useless to me and my family. We have directv, hulu, netflix, the internet, dvd, etc. I have ZERO need for govt subsidized programs that I already have through that media. Now, do I like "the arts", sure I do. We need folks like The Artist to make our lives more enjoyable. Do I prefer govt subsidized "arts" to tax cuts? Nope. Same goes for Big Bird.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:08:02 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 07:01:27 am »

AOX has apparently hijacked heroin's account again. Either that, or we need another intervention because apparently:

Calm down a bit. If you like paying the current tax rate, that's your choice. I do not, which his why I have no probs cutting out things I find useless to me and my family. We have directv, hulu, netflix, the internet, dvd, etc. I have ZERO need for govt subsidized programs that I already have through that media. Now, do I like "the arts", sure I do. We need folks like The Artist to make our lives more enjoyable. Do I prefer govt subsidized "arts" to tax cuts? Nope. Same goes for Big Bird.

Government only subsidizes bad or unpopular art.  Good art, like good food, good clothing, and good housing, sells itself.

Being a successful artist requires talent, hard work, sacrifice, and the desire to create something that makes other people happy.  Being a wealthy artist is about as hard as becoming a profesional athlete.  Society is littered with the bodies of artists who dreamed the dream, but didn't possess the talent or drive to create a product that people valued.  

Art is subjective, but that doesn't mean that because 12,000 people like photographs of toenails, the photographer has a right to be supported by 100 million people who do not enjoy photographs of toenails.  We do a grave diservice to art, and society in general when we subsidize any venture incapable of supporting itself.  

The debate on government subsidized TV (as with all other gubment programs) always boils down to the term "access," and historically, when we had far narrower band-width, that was a valid point. The problem is that today there are a multitude of venues that provide "access" to educational, creative, inspirational, and scientific programming funded through the support of the free market.  The quality and popularity of these offerings is far greater than any subsidized effort could hope to be.  This is actually good for public media, because it creates a pressure to compete that forces improvement in quality, it however does force the subsidized industries to cry for additional funding, or be forced to transform into something more modern.  We have actually seen this over the years as public television has become more commercial.

I think this is a wonderful point for debate, that offers a spectrum of possible outcomes for publicly funded programming, all of which are a move in the right direction (because there is no going back).  Wink
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:03:32 am by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 09:38:58 am »

I will gladly exchange being a little dumber when it comes to the arts and Big Bird to reduce taxation. If you want Big Bird or the like, get a subscription to hulu or netflix, they might have it. 

Proof of my point.  Being a little dumber pushes the vote their way.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 08:03:27 pm »

I have been deeply concerned about heiron's commitment to PBS, especially the day time programming if funding is cut.  Smiley So to help him, I found this clip.

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/ndjk0e/its-potty-time

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 08:13:30 pm »

I have been deeply concerned about heiron's commitment to PBS, especially the day time programming if funding is cut.  Smiley So to help him, I found this clip.

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/ndjk0e/its-potty-time

But the key question is, did it help you "have the knack" yet...??  And put the seat back down when you are through?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 01:27:24 am »

But the key question is, did it help you "have the knack" yet...??  And put the seat back down when you are through?

You bet I have The Knack:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVdnqEyToqg[/youtube]

and yes to your post. That ol ditty been around a while.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 01:32:30 am by guido911 » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 08:43:48 am »

You bet I have The Knack:

and yes to your post. That ol ditty been around a while.

So ya see... you ARE trainable!!  I suspected as much....  Now all we have to do is continue to help you along in your evolution....! 

Now, if we can just get you into Philbrook or Gilcrease....

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2013, 04:34:01 pm »

Reason No. __ to get rid of public financed news/crap. Staffed by, and fodder for, idiots.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NayS5xeVbLE[/youtube]

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 12:51:37 am »

You know, for a lot of people, especially in this state, that small $10 a month for something like netflix is more than their budget can bare.  And it's these people, the low income, who need the help the most to get out of it.  Of course, the most effective way of getting someone out of poverty is to educate them.  But this is a red state, and if you want to survive in the far right ideology around here you have to fall into the group that thinks that a good education should only be awarded to those who already have money, or the extreme few who manage to climb out on their own.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 12:42:11 pm »

You know, for a lot of people, especially in this state, that small $10 a month for something like netflix is more than their budget can bare.  And it's these people, the low income, who need the help the most to get out of it.  Of course, the most effective way of getting someone out of poverty is to educate them.  But this is a red state, and if you want to survive in the far right ideology around here you have to fall into the group that thinks that a good education should only be awarded to those who already have money, or the extreme few who manage to climb out on their own.

That's why they actively work hard to keep that situation intact.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org