A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:07:24 am
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Joes Fundraiser Kerfuffle  (Read 55881 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2013, 09:18:22 am »

C'est finis.

D'accord
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2013, 10:12:32 am »

All beliefs/non-beliefs do this. 

I disagree, amongst my most truly spiritual friends, they don't speak of their beliefs unless they are asked.  But I tend to surround myself with like thinkers and tend to avoid people with superiority complexes regardless of where that complex stems from.  My beliefs work for me and that's all that matters.  As an aside, some of the most spiritual people I know never or rarely set foot in a religious institution.

I'm very much a believer, but what I believe might get someone else beaten or arrested in 11 states, that's why I don't push it on anyone else. Wink 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2013, 10:18:06 am »

I disagree, amongst my most truly spiritual friends, they don't speak of their beliefs unless they are asked.  But I tend to surround myself with like thinkers and tend to avoid people with superiority complexes regardless of where that complex stems from.  My beliefs work for me and that's all that matters.  As an aside, some of the most spiritual people I know never or rarely set foot in a religious institution.

I'm very much a believer, but what I believe might get someone else beaten or arrested in 11 states, that's why I don't push it on anyone else. Wink 

The problem is that my experience draws itself from family interaction in this instance.  You'd have to know my family to understand this.

My friends?  Sure, they don't do that.  For the same reason you state (surrounding yourself with like thinkers and other reasons that are unique to each person).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2013, 12:32:12 pm »

Just saw this on a friend's FB page today:

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2013, 12:35:02 pm »

Just saw this on a friend's FB page today:

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does"

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2013, 01:00:51 pm »

But I tend to surround myself with like thinkers and tend to avoid people with superiority complexes regardless of where that complex stems from.  My beliefs work for me and that's all that matters.  As an aside, some of the most spiritual people I know never or rarely set foot in a religious institution.

Intellectual Inbreeding School of Thought....??

Sorry...just couldn't resist.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2013, 01:12:35 pm »

Intellectual Inbreeding School of Thought....??

Sorry...just couldn't resist.

No, I'm far more superior than that.  Wink

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #202 on: April 18, 2013, 01:14:43 pm »

I tend to surround myself with like thinkers and tend to avoid people with superiority complexes...

You mortals crack me up.

Power is nothing till you use it.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #203 on: April 18, 2013, 02:11:34 pm »

We are.  What language did YOU think we were talking in??
simply claiming it does not equate believing it. Belief comes from life experiences telling you something is true.  Something in your life had convinced you that it is reality. The example of language comes from you being told your entire life that this is the English language, and you will continue to belief that until information you see as factual comes along to contradict that, at which time you may begin to question it, and eventually, possibly, start to belief otherwise, but not by choice.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2013, 02:23:35 pm »

simply claiming it does not equate believing it. Belief comes from life experiences telling you something is true.  Something in your life had convinced you that it is reality. The example of language comes from you being told your entire life that this is the English language, and you will continue to belief that until information you see as factual comes along to contradict that, at which time you may begin to question it, and eventually, possibly, start to belief otherwise, but not by choice.

Some people choose to explore out of what they've been fed their entire life, yet others choose not to.  I can choose to listen in to someone who might change long held beliefs of mine, or choose to tune them out. 

It's all semantics, but I'm in a punchy mood this week.

There's still choice and free will involved.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #205 on: April 18, 2013, 02:42:08 pm »

Some people choose to explore out of what they've been fed their entire life, yet others choose not to.  I can choose to listen in to someone who might change long held beliefs of mine, or choose to tune them out. 

It's all semantics, but I'm in a punchy mood this week.

There's still choice and free will involved.

Sometimes it's just a question of "what makes more sense?"  That's how I came to my present conclusion.

With thousands of years to come up with answers, "That's why they call it faith" doesn't fly for me.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2013, 02:45:27 pm »

Sometimes it's just a question of "what makes more sense?"  That's how I came to my present conclusion.

With thousands of years to come up with answers, "That's why they call it faith" doesn't fly for me.

And some people have life-changing events or some other epiphany which can lead them back to their original beliefs with even more conviction...or straight to the looney bin.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2013, 02:57:15 pm »

simply claiming it does not equate believing it. Belief comes from life experiences telling you something is true.  Something in your life had convinced you that it is reality. The example of language comes from you being told your entire life that this is the English language, and you will continue to belief that until information you see as factual comes along to contradict that, at which time you may begin to question it, and eventually, possibly, start to belief otherwise, but not by choice.

You just came around to make my argument!!  

If you start to believe it, then if not by your choice, it would have to be against your choice and will....but if you accept the new information (may or may not be facts) it would have to mean that you accepted another set of 'facts' that became your new belief of choice....

I prefer to think of the sky as green, grass is blue, and this is indeed French.  Just 'cause everyone else is wrong.....

Isn't pushing a chain just ever so much fun....?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:59:20 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2013, 02:59:53 pm »

You just came around to make my argument!! 

If you start to believe it, then if not by your choice, it would have to be against your choice and will....but if you accept the new information (may or may not be facts) it would have to mean that you accepted another set of 'facts' that became your new belief of choice....

Isn't pushing a chain ever so much fun....?
you obviously didn't use critical thinking here.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2013, 03:03:19 pm »

you obviously didn't use critical thinking here.

Extremely critical thinking!  It's part of my belief structure!  (Another side effect of engineering....)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org